Forums > General Industry > Being in a Video for "Exposure"?

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I went to a casting for a video and they called me back to ask me if I wanted to not get paid as an extra, but be in the video for "exposure". If I am not what they are looking for in the video, why call me and ask me if I want to work for free? Let me know if my irritation is unwarranted.....

Oct 08 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

bump...

Oct 08 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Is it a MAJOR artist?  Is the role a principle role (guaranteed screen time)?  Is it the lead single for the MAJOR artists album?

If the answer to all these questions is yes, AND  you wish to further yourself along in the urban modeling industry (i.e. more work offers, possible mag spreads, blah, blah) then it's CONCIEVABLE that it makes sense to do  it for free this ONE time.  But that's ONLY if all those factors are in place.

Outside of that then hell no! 

No point in doing a video for FREE just to NOT get screen time OR exposure.  I doubt that you'd be getting a lot of screen time ANYWAY being that they don't want to pay you.  But if they WERE  going to make you a principle then I doubt it's for a MAJOR artist, because they have a BUDGET for video talent.

Oct 08 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ransom J wrote:
Is it a MAJOR artist?  Is the role a principle role (guaranteed screen time)?  Is it the lead single for the MAJOR artists album?

If the answer to all these questions is yes, AND  you wish to further yourself along in the urban modeling industry (i.e. more work offers, possible mag spreads, blah, blah) then it's CONCIEVABLE that it makes sense to do  it for free this ONE time.  But that's ONLY if all those factors are in place.

Outside of that then hell no! 

No point in doing a video for FREE just to NOT get screen time OR exposure.  I doubt that you'd be getting a lot of screen time ANYWAY being that they don't want to pay you.  But if they WERE  going to make you a principle then I doubt it's for a MAJOR artist, because they have a BUDGET for video talent.

It IS for a major artist. That's why it sounds strange to me. send you a message.

Oct 08 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dee740 wrote:

It IS for a major artist. That's why it sounds strange to me.

Yeah they do it for an extra, that will get all of .3 seconds of screen time and it might only be a shot of her with 37189274381932738912 other girls in the club.

It's not unusual at all.

But principles for major artists almost ALWAYS get paid. 

Sounds like they just want a body on the set.  And quite frankly being a body on the set nets you nothing. You can go to gather contacts if you so choose but don't expect to ever see yourself int he final cut of the video.

Oct 08 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

Los Angeles, California, US

get a SAG card, then you can demand to get paid, until then...

Oct 08 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Actually, with a SAG card she wouldn't be allowed to do the video, since it's obviously a non-union production.

Oct 08 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Actually, with a SAG card she wouldn't be allowed to do the video, since it's obviously a non-union production.

Yep. smile

Oct 08 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm just irritated by it. I just don't think it makes since to ask people to work on a paid project for free. If they aren't good enough, they just aren't.

Oct 09 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Makes perfect sense.  if they can get bodies on the set for free and push that money alotted to casting to other ares of the budget then they are promoting good business. 

Keep in mind that good business isn't always "fair" for all parties involved.

Oct 09 06 12:03 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ransom J wrote:
Makes perfect sense.  if they can get bodies on the set for free and push that money alotted to casting to other ares of the budget then they are promoting good business. 

Keep in mind that good business isn't always "fair" for all parties involved.

I guess so, I just don't think I'm that desperate.

Oct 09 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Even TV extras get $50 a day.

Oct 09 06 12:08 am Link