Forums > General Industry > How many touch-ups do you do on TFCD?

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

How many do you do on tfcd? right now I am limiting it to 5-7 of the models choice but I have friends who do none at all.

Star

edit: I want to mention this usually means that with an MUA and two models I am doing 21 images in a shoot.

Oct 08 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

DWphotographics

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

For me it really depends on two things.
The model and the content of the shoot.
My average would be 15 to 20

Oct 08 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

5-10 depending on how well the shoot went.

Oct 08 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I do as many as I feel like. I hate having good photos and then not touching them.  But I try to do at least 10 on a typical session.

Oct 08 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

S_D

San Diego, California, US

Handing over the pics unedited is a horrible mistake.

I made that mistake before,  I couldnt belive I did that. When I viewed the persons Port a couple of days later My heart just about stoped! They used the worst pic we did and advertised me like I was the best out there. I quickly edited the shot and sent it over right away. In no way does handing out unedited or screened photos help out the photog...IT ONLY MAKES THE PHOTOG LOOK BAD..... In conclusion to that, Photographers may have a differnent "eye" than Models do, and you must give them the ones you like and edit them.

In my TFP contract I clearly state how many pics they will recieve, I put 15-20 pics. (edited) I dont want none of my crappy shots floating around in anybody's port!

That way theres no questions later. Plus you get to put your water mark on them also:-) (only if stated in contract)

nick

Oct 09 06 02:46 am Link

Model

diem

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

when i get unedited pics i have a friend of mine edited for me(considering im very comp. illiterate), but only with the photographers consent.

Oct 09 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

RonSlatonPhoto62

Brandon, Florida, US

diem wrote:
when i get unedited pics i have a friend of mine edited for me(considering im very comp. illiterate), but only with the photographers consent.

This is the way I'm always heard photographer/model working goes.  The model gets all the shots from the session and if the photog likes and touches- and/or cleans-up a few, the model gets another disc with the "clean files."  But any others that she/he (the model) wants touched up has to be done by the photog or someone he/she (the photog) Okays.  A photog wouldn't want someone wrecking the photos and then having them circulate as representing his/her work.

Ron

Oct 09 06 03:55 am Link

Photographer

LightLab Studios

Seattle, Washington, US

my work is at the point where my tfcd terms are pretty strict.

model gets one final retouched image of each look and usually not more than three final images. it's too much work and often for images not going in my book. i usually do an extensive retouch on the skin which can take quite some time.

i usually send about a dozen proofs for each look and will consider the model's input on her favorite shots.

models are asked to always credit me where possible.

and more than tightening up my tfcd terms, i am becoming much more selective about the models i work with. but that's a tough one because i can be a softy for models that really, really want to work with me.

Oct 09 06 03:56 am Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

I treat all shoots the same, the reason is it is my name at the bottom of the picture. I have work very hard to get to where I am and the last thing I want it is to give a model all the images and let her just do what ever she wants with them.
My average shoot, the model will get around 5-8 images. Sometime more if there is stuff that I really love and I have the time to edit them sometimes less if everything looks the same.

Oct 09 06 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I typically do 3 to 5 per look and an average of 4 to 5 looks per session.

Oct 09 06 04:07 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I generate a web gallery of all images.  I send the private url to the people involved (model/mua/stylist/etc).  I tell them to pic 2-3 'must have' images and I touch-up the requested images and send them the full resolution results.

I then do the ones I like.  When I post them, I let the crew know about it and if they like any of them, they can request copies of those images for their ports.

This is for TFP/TFCD only.  For paid shoots, there is no gallery, no picking and choosing.  They will get what I have chosen and that's it.

-PKD

Oct 09 06 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Goldblade Photos

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

On average, I end up dumping about 50% of the pics from a shoot due to them being utter and complete crap. One thing I've had to train myself to not do is try to edit every bloody photo that's left, so now I try to focus on only editing the top 10% roughly.

Oct 09 06 04:45 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

hmm, no,..., don't accept trades (i.e., TFPs/CDs) here ...

FML

Oct 09 06 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Dave Bulger

Austin, Texas, US

Nothing leaves my hands unless it's something I'm OK with seeing anywhere/everywhere else.  I've learned my lesson the hard way with that.

It may be 3 images, it may be 30.  If a shoot is good enough to produce 30 outstanding images, that fires me up to the point of being excited about touching 30 images... smile

Oct 09 06 04:53 am Link

Photographer

S_D

Im not being debated on this one YESSS!!!!!!

You Photogs Kick @ss!

Oct 09 06 05:01 am Link

Photographer

Dave Bulger

Austin, Texas, US

I recall someone somewhere saying that the key to being regarded as a great photographer was to ensure that no one saw your less-than-great work. smile

Oct 09 06 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I give them whatever they want, I only care about the images in my portfolio , if they want the ones I have up they can have them if not , have at it.
This is on TFCD. Standard rules apply on advertising work.

Oct 09 06 07:10 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

On average, about 6 of my choosing. If the model likes a couple I didn't choose, I will do those as well.

Oct 09 06 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Depends on the shoot. Generally, I will give the model a minimum of 15-20 images from the shoot.

All the images are retouched - I go through and choose which images I like, and give them two sizes - original size and a smaller webversion that has my copyright on it.

I require that all of my images display credit when the shoot is TFP/CD - unless otherwise discussed with me prior.

~Saryn

Oct 09 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Saryn Angel wrote:
Depends on the shoot. Generally, I will give the model a minimum of 15-20 images from the shoot.

All the images are retouched - I go through and choose which images I like, and give them two sizes - original size and a smaller webversion that has my copyright on it.

I require that all of my images display credit when the shoot is TFP/CD - unless otherwise discussed with me prior.

~Saryn

I just did this on my last shoot and from what I understand, the model didn't care for any of them. I retouched imperfections and I'm thinking she wanted them left alone.

Oct 09 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

GLB Graphics wrote:

I just did this on my last shoot and from what I understand, the model didn't care for any of them. I retouched imperfections and I'm thinking she wanted them left alone.

I've never had any complaints... Heh, it never dawned on me to suggest a specific number of images... I figure if they like my style - they will like the images that I choose.   I generally retouch any images that are aestetically pleasing - crop/composition and just what the model looks like.   I spend a lot more time on the photos than the model does - so for a TFP/CD shoot, I feel that I get to choose the images.

On very very rare occasions I will give the model untouched images - this is in cases like with Perish who is a great digital artist and who I trust to do probably a MUCH better job than I can.  smile  As seen in the photo of him in my port.

Oct 09 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

From every "roll" I shoot, I retouch ten to twenty pictures. (I shoot digital and my camera breaks the files up into directories of 100 images. To me that's a "roll.") The model sees all of the retouched images and selects her prints from those.

The model never gets to request a specific image: she sees only the ones I want to retouch and only the retouched versions of those after the fact. So I don't retouch pictures "for" models at all. As far as what I give, the model gets a CD with all of the retouched images from the shoot at web resolution and three to six prints depending on the outcome of the shoot.

M

Oct 09 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

All of mine are good?

Oct 09 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why on earth would anyone want to give out, as finished product, images which have not been post processed to show them at their maximum quality? In my view, the only difference between a TFP and a paid shoot is the lack of cash being exchanged. I believe that any photographer who treats a TFP 'client'  as somehow less important is sshport changing everyone involved.

Oct 09 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

oh geez. If I see a good shot, I edit it and give it to the model. I'm not trying to keep anything from anyone. No limits, no promises. It would be selfish of me otherwise.

Oct 09 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

i consider my work art , therefore ... i do the project , edit whatever i feel needs to be edited (the best shots from the shoot) , and give the model a copy of that CD ...
so they get what i get ... no more , no less ....

this also eliminates them from showing shots that i dont like , just because they like them ...

Oct 09 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Antonio Photography

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

Normally I do 10 photos per hour I shoot with the model. I think it's a fair number of photos for the model due I have more than enough time to take the pictures I want. I normally do a 3 hour shoot, so 30 pictures are ok for me.

Oct 09 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

My own edits for my own galleries take me about 1 to 2 hours each, or maybe I can do 2 or 4 per evening when I work until midnight. I only have a few nighs per week. That's the commercial quality stuff that I polish to the best of my ability. My Click Hamiltion material is faster because he's a rougher sort of grainy guy and it's for fun anyway.

I make them for my own gallery and the model gets the fruits of my labor without much restriction. I try to make 8 or 12 photos per gallery minimum. For galleries that have more than that, it's usually because of multiple photo shoots with the same model. My galleries develop over time as models come back and stick with me. The mountain of material is always growing. Edits dribble out.

I give a DVD of everything I shoot, which is usually 600 to 1300 images per photo shoot. If the model has favorites I often edit those as a favor. I edit in full resolution and that's what I give.

Basically, I consider the DVD my TFP, since it's tons of good edit worthy material. I shoot fast and I shoot single shot. My keeper rate is close to 100% - very few blurs or screwups.

Anything I share of my time after the DVD is because I like to do it, and because I like the people who like to model for me. Due to the constraints of time, and because I get far more requests for photo shoots than I can handle, I don't want obligations beyond the DVD. I might go crazy with schedule overload and I don't want my brain to explode.

I don't charge for my service. I do this for art, and to share and help people. My photo shoots are friendly. Everyone seems to be happy.

Oct 09 06 08:24 pm Link