Forums > General Industry > Photoshoots and Concussions

Photographer

KaoS GRaFFiX

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

I had a shoot today, and everything went pretty well. The shoot was in my basement, and I have a low ceiling. When I was breaking down my equipment I stood up under the main support beam. I cracked my head off that bastard HARD! It's like 6 hours later and I'm still dizzy, I think I gave myself a concussion! I'm not joking either, I honestly think I have a concussion... *sigh*

I'm going to bed now... My head is POUNDING!

Oct 07 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

KaoS GRaFFiX wrote:
I had a shoot today, and everything went pretty well. The shoot was in my basement, and I have a low ceiling. When I was breaking down my equipment I stood up under the main support beam. I cracked my head off that bastard HARD! It's like 6 hours later and I'm still dizzy, I think I gave myself a concussion! I'm not joking either, I honestly think I have a concussion... *sigh*

I'm going to bed now... My head is POUNDING!

You may want to go to the emergency room. Really. Don't mess around with head injuries.

Oct 07 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

TFI Enerprises

Dayton, Ohio, US

I've had three serious concussions, the last being the most serious and having happened around valentine's day this year.  Going to to ER really will only rack up a bill, as they don't do anything for concussions.  Read some info online and you'll be just as informed as you need to be, most likely.  The effects of concussion can last a few days, but if it's a mild concussion even it will be 2 weeks of feeling off and not good. but the effects can also be permanent if they last longer than 1 year.  Having gone thru it 3 times, I can tell ya you need to rest when you feel like resting, as that is all they tell you to do in the ER for head injuries.  If you have a change in vision or speech, then go get tests done like MRI and catscans.  Otherwise, try to deal with it and don't take too many medications for it if possible.  They would likely only give you Tylenol if you went to the doctor.  Hope that helps some... I know how sucky it is to bang your head!  Mine still hurts to this day, and the more stressing life is, the worse it hurts.  sad  Good luck!

Theresa

Oct 07 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

You're assuming it's a concussion. It could be something else. You could take medical advice from someone replying to your thread or you could see real medical staff. It's your brain. Literally. How important is it to you?

Oct 08 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

It may be a tumor
https://fraser.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/moviepic010_1.jpg

Oct 08 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

It's not a tooomaahh!!

Oct 08 06 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you really think it's a concussion then the LAST thing you wanna do is go to sleep.  Go to the emergency room.

Oct 08 06 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I had a similar situation this evening. Kept hitting my head on pipes! My model was laughing at me, calling me a human pinbal machine. The good news (for me) is that most of the pipes are insulated, and therefore very soft.

Her comment, though, was priceless: "I'm safer here in this cage, naked, than you are out there."

Get your head looked at. You're probably okay, but hey, what do I know?

Oct 08 06 02:49 am Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

I bonked my head by forgetting about how low the hayloft roof slope was when I stood up under it-twice-when I was 15, and then when I was 19 working afternoon horse feed at school.

Oct 08 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

KaoS GRaFFiX

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

Curt Burgess wrote:
You're assuming it's a concussion. It could be something else. You could take medical advice from someone replying to your thread or you could see real medical staff. It's your brain. Literally. How important is it to you?

Considering I'm broke and have no insurance, no part of my body is worth a hospital visit and the expense.

Oct 08 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

I almost gave a model a concusion a couple yrs ago. LOL! SHe was posing laying down on her side, and I went to move to get another angle, my foot hit the light stand, and the light came crashing down, just about to hit her, but I kinda did a "dive" and caught the damn thing before it hit her. LOL!

ps: shoudl've seen the look on her face! LOL! SHe had one arm up with this frightened horror film look on her face, wish I was able to get a shot of that LOL!

Oct 08 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Head injuries can be very serious, even a minor bump can turn deadly.  My best friends father bumped his head getting out of his car.  That night he had a fever and was throwing up.  He assumed it was the flu.  He went to the doctor the next day and turns out the bump caused a blood clot in his head and he was sent into emergency surgery.  The doctor said he had about 12 hours to live if he hadnt had surgery.

Oct 08 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

my head is made of space age bullet proof doomy goodness, and a knock on the head does nothing to me....however a human like yourself would probably not want to go to bed after whacking your head meats on a beam...stay awake...love the coffee...praise the coffee

Oct 08 06 09:58 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

KaoS GRaFFiX wrote:

Considering I'm broke and have no insurance, no part of my body is worth a hospital visit and the expense.

the hospital may help you set up insurance if the bill is high enough

Oct 08 06 10:05 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Ransom J wrote:
If you really think it's a concussion then the LAST thing you wanna do is go to sleep.  Go to the emergency room.

Yes, seriously.

Oct 08 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Sergei Pyuro

Los Angeles, California, US

I took pictures of a model on a horse. The Horse didn't like something and started kiking. The girl fell off and hit her head. Because this was her own horse and she's fallen and hit her head at least a fiew imes before, she knew what t do about it. Wich was not to go to sleep. Or have someone wake her up every 2 hours.

Oct 08 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Uber Dami wrote:
my head is made of space age bullet proof doomy goodness, and a knock on the head does nothing to me....however a human like yourself would probably not want to go to bed after whacking your head meats on a beam...stay awake...love the coffee...praise the coffee

I like you. Just sayin'...

Oct 08 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

KaoS GRaFFiX wrote:

I can certainly relate to this. I think I might have temporal lobe epilepsy but I certainly can't afford to get my brain checked out (and EEG would be very nice right about now). At the very least keep a close watch on your condition and should it get worse then you should be able to check into a county hospital (I think) where they will take uninsured people. Someone may be able to correct me on this, but at least around here I believe the county hospital have to take you insured or not. You may want to do some research on this just so you know for future reference.

I'm sure you're fine, though... no further symptoms?

-P-

Oct 08 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

~*Isabel Aurora*~ wrote:

the hospital may help you set up insurance if the bill is high enough

Justin Hand doesn’t sound like a Mexican name smile

Oct 09 06 02:36 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

White Russian wrote:
I took pictures of a model on a horse. The Horse didn't like something and started kiking. The girl fell off and hit her head. Because this was her own horse and she's fallen and hit her head at least a fiew imes before, she knew what t do about it. Wich was not to go to sleep. Or have someone wake her up every 2 hours.

Is that before or after you shoot the horse?

Oct 09 06 02:38 am Link