Forums > General Industry > Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Had planned a shoot awhile back for about two weeks with a familiar model.

Had a foreboding feeling the night before that it wouldn't happen after confirmation e-mails were not answered.

Arrived at a "small town" location at 7:45 AM, expecting it to be "dead".

My shooting spots were roped-off and there were cars, booths, and barricades everywhere. Turns out it was the town's big annual festival weekend (me bad for not checking).

Model was no call/no show.

Oct 07 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Waiting on a model now who's supposed to be driving up from Arkansas. Haven't heard from her in two days, but she has my address and number. Was supposed to be here half an hour ago. At least I didn't have to drive anywhere, and if she doesn't show, it sure is a gorgeous day!

Oct 07 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I guess in a way it worked out:  If ever there ways a day for a model to not show, it was on this small-town festival day.  I am still so completely perplexed by this no-show phenomenon; I've never had it happen to me, but my experience with internet models is next to zero.  RP clearly didn't just roll in on the turnip truck camera in hand, so what the hell gives?  I've read thread after thread about this, but wtf, what's really going on?

Oct 07 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Richard Dubois wrote:
I've read thread after thread about this, but wtf, what's really going on?

I dunno. I've had it happen to me, but I've also had some great experiences. I'll highly recommend some models I've worked with as being extremely reliable. Jessalyn, in particular, is as reliable as a Japanese car.

I'm guessing my show/no-show rate for internet models is about 50/50. But then, my trip to Chicago really brought that ratio down. The Chicago model who did show up said that they stop shooting at the first hint of cold weather.

Oct 07 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wow, 50/50 would leave me kinda depressed, so kudos to you for being able to shrug it off.  I would really love to know what is going through the mind of a model who decides to stop communications and just not show up.  It's always seemed a little simplistic to me to simply blame it on "internet models", because clearly there are some real pros on MM as well.

Oct 07 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Richard Dubois wrote:
It's always seemed a little simplistic to me to simply blame it on "internet models", because clearly there are some real pros on MM as well.

I'm not assessing blame here, by any means. Like I said, I've met some great people here. The only one to really irritate me is the one that I traveled four hours to shoot with, strung me along ("Can we meet at 5:00?" then "I'll be there at 7:00") then never showed up.

Well, there is the girl who confirmed in Chicago then changed her mind when she got a better offer. I think a person should keep her word - that means a lot to me.

Today's model is supposed to be coming to me, but she's an hour and a half late. I'll go grab lunch shortly and get on with my day.

Oct 07 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Maybe there was a secret model meeting this weekend and they decided to show photographers just how much power they have.

Had a no show saturday, after she confirmed and asked that I pick her up no less.  Want to feel stupid?  Try waiting at BART for someone who never shows.

Oct 08 06 05:20 am Link