Forums > General Industry > So what is your favorite photo background ?

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I just saw the post on the Worst Photo Backgrounds and thought it was good info to know what looks cheep and tasteless..So to keep up with the new trends I'm asking the masses what they like as backgrounds for now ?

Mike

Oct 07 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

after seeing that thread i googled
make photographic backgrounds
and
make photographic backdrops

saw some great articles, the best i've seen were made by mike -who owned a school photography company.. i worked for mike on 9-01-01, hell of a day to be telling 600 kids to smile, we were located in norcal and had accounts in socal, so we were adjusting to the new post 911 airports too.. at anyrate

mike would buy his own muslin and spread it out in a parking lot near a laundromat at night, he'd splash latex paint on the cloth the slop it around, let it sit, the bring it into the laundromat and wash the excess paint away.. dry, and fold

i have't seen better in any cataloge, if one has a home depot nearby and they have an 'oops' section in the paint dept you can get a gallon for $5 and quarts for $1

mike always used 3 colors, but when he told me how to do it he said start out with 2 colors til you get the hang of it...

whole project was $20, he'd repaint the older backdrops he had, change colors so the backdrops were always different from year to year.. he'd do four at a time with the same colors so the backdrops would all be the same color for him and his three photographers that year... so you would look in the yearbook and see the matching backgrounds

of course pretty soon the only background you will need is

https://www.cardashtrim.com/images/fs/Solid%20Blue.jpg

because the background of your choice will be added by software

blah blah blah

Oct 07 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

So what is your favorite photo background?

Laguna Beach... over a dozen on the photo page... wink

Oct 07 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Anything with water,and preferably in the water

Oct 07 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Motel room sheets.  Still on the bed.  With a telephone in a corner.

-D

Oct 07 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

the richest natural light I can find

Oct 07 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
the richest natural light I can find

I 2nd that motion!  And maybe by the water, too!

Oct 07 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

eKarl

Port Huron, Michigan, US

Water is always a great background.

My second choice is grass and sky.

Oct 07 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

We have a paper backdrop system at the studio here, and I prefer the Thuder Gray color backdrop because it has a dungeon-y look to it (neutral and yet dark... I shoot mostly Damsel-in-distress, so it works).  We do have a bunch of other colors, including a magenta/burgundy backdrop that works really well for photographers shooting nudes.

Oct 07 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I think the beach is the best background but that is only because models look great there !!

Mike

Oct 07 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Any thing that aeint wronkled!

Oct 07 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

i did a portrait of a 11yo girl in front of a old school building.  it just looks so natural , like she just got out and paused for a second on her way home.   i printed a 11x14 of it to show off and its still on my wall 2 summers later.   my close second is a still inland lake , entire background is silvery shimmering water.  on my wall too !!!!

Oct 07 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Hamilton May

Lake Forest, California, US

Something real no fake backdrops for me, ever.

Oct 07 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jordan May wrote:
Something real no fake backdrops for me, ever.

i could not agree more

Oct 07 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Blue plastic tarps, preferably with fold lines on 'em.  You know, the kind you can get at Wal-Mart.  Oh, why don't they make 'em in different colours?

Oct 07 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lund Photography

Puyallup, Washington, US

Abandonments..

Oct 07 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I'm pretty partial to rundown, burnt-out buildings that have junk strewn everywhere like this one:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/semi234/Hannah%20Young/Sept%2024%202006/0440.jpg

Oct 07 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Alcantar

Beaumont, California, US

Richard Dubois wrote:
Blue plastic tarps, preferably with fold lines on 'em.  You know, the kind you can get at Wal-Mart.  Oh, why don't they make 'em in different colours?

You can get them in Green,Gray,Black at Harbour Freight if you really like em.

Oct 07 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

I don’t have a “favorite”.  In studio I more frequently use black, secondly, white crinkle.  I once had some stage sets I built; photographers would ask where I found that shed, barn, shack, etcetera.  I like backgrounds that look natural; landscapes, yardscapes, building exteriors or interiors.  Everything depends on what I’m shooting.  I’m an artist; I’m not dictated by conventions.  I use what is available; an artist takes what s/he has and makes something of it.

Oct 09 06 06:11 am Link