Forums > General Industry > Model portfolios vs phographer portfolios

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

When do model portfolios start to showcase the photographer more than they showcase the model?

I have been thinking about this past few days.
A models portfolio needs to showcase the model and his/her range of work and experence and look.

At what point do the images showcase the photographer more and it this a good thing?

Oct 06 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

how do they showcase the photographer more than the model? if the images are good then they show case both parties.

Oct 06 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Rich Tull

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think a model's portfolio starts to showcase the photographer more when they only have photos from one photographer, and the style is so recognizable that you look at it and say "That's such and such photographer."

But truly, a good portfolio should showcase both, shouldn't it? smile

Oct 06 06 10:57 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Dearest_Grudge wrote:
how do they showcase the photographer more than the model? if the images are good then they show case both parties.

I have plenty of great images that I don't use in this portfolio (or any other than has a limited number of slots) because they showcase the photographer more than me. One example is many of my nudes-in-landscapes. In some of them, my pose is great and the whole thing looks amazing, but I'm not filling the frame and it's more about the skill of the photographer. Another example would be anything artistic that doesn't show the model's body or posing skill because of other image elements like lighting (shadows etc), styling, etc.

A portfolio needs to showcase your OWN skills and qualities. Each picture needs to show something YOU can do. Sure it needs to be with a good photographer and all that, but the main point is to sell you, not someone else.

Oct 06 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

For starters, a model's portfolio should not contain photos in which the model is not clearly shown.  For example, a photographer can take a great photograph in which the model appears only in silhouette.  While it may make a great addition to the photographer's portfolio, it doesn't convey a great deal of information about the model.  Models should include in the portfolio images which show her to best advantage and allow her best features to come through.

Oct 06 06 11:07 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Frank McAdam wrote:
For starters, a model's portfolio should not contain photos in which the model is not clearly shown.  For example, a photographer can take a great photograph in which the model appears only in silhouette.  While it may make a great addition to the photographer's portfolio, it doesn't convey a great deal of information about the model.  Models should include in the portfolio images which show her to best advantage and allow her best features to come through.

Very good point about images that showcase the model as aposed to the photographer.
I have a beautiful infre red image that  just doesn't show me but damn it is  stunning.
I try to have images that showcase me and my range.

I have all body parts represented throughout my portfolio  and oen full length image (I'll add another one) I showcase my willingness to work outdoors, in bondage, fetish, fashion, full coutoure makeup, no makeup, and my trademark Uber Bendy Iona

Oct 06 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

You know my dear there are photographers who would do anything to shoot with you... You and e string are really 2 of the best examples of modern day muses that MM has to offer.
Having said that, while it is important to clearly represent yourself, it is also a great idea to inspire others, to show them what they could with you.

A lot of photographers cannot envision art past a head shot.

Oct 06 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
When do model portfolios start to showcase the photographer more than they showcase the model?

A models portfolio needs to showcase the model and his/her range of work and experence and look.

At what point do the images showcase the photographer more and it this a good thing?

A models' portfolio MUST showcase the model period. If the quality and or style of the images reflect a professional job so much the better. It says that the model has an interest in showing herself to her best advantage.

Oct 06 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There are two theories on model presentation.  One suggests that the pictures need to show off the model and make it easy to tell what she looks like and is capable of.  The other suggests that the model's quality is defined by the quality of the team she attracts to work with her.

Pictures of the first type are necessary, without question.  But there is valid place for pictures of the second type as well, as long as the first issue is taken care of somewhere in the portfolio.

Oct 06 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

TXPhotog wrote:
There are two theories on model presentation.  One suggests that the pictures need to show off the model and make it easy to tell what she looks like and is capable of.  The other suggests that the model's quality is defined by the quality of the team she attracts to work with her.

Pictures of the first type are necessary, without question.  But there is valid place for pictures of the second type as well, as long as the first issue is taken care of somewhere in the portfolio.

::: gets out rubber stamp to approve this valuable message :::

bt

Oct 07 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

have often seen this in newer models' books; they have primarily one or two photographers doing all their images ...

... and will see stg similar in new photographers' books; they have mostly one or two models.

or, could be one or the other simply needs some help editing.

FML

Oct 07 06 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

This is the question I was skirting in your critique thread. smile
There are a couple of the oodles that aren't entirely flattering in the usual sense,
but are creative and excellent images, and reinforce your 'muse' qualities.
Typically, I'd expect to see them in a photographer's portfolio rather than a model's one, but your rule breaking is one of the outstanding features of your portfolio. I am  hoping that the more experienced photographers will weigh in with their opinion and help indicate whether the striking aspect of the pictures over-ruled conventional wisdom, or alternatively are rendered moot by the other pics which highlight your physical beauty.
   This is a really good problem to have, regardless. smile

Oct 07 06 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

unless i'm getting paid or in love with my subject, i'm not shooting to make the model look good.  the model is there to make my picture look good.

Oct 07 06 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

When there is so much Potatoshop that you can't tell who the model is to begin with. That's a bad thing.

Oct 07 06 04:50 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

Hence the need for every model to have a mix of images.... and they should include a beautiful headshot, an upper body shot, and a full length shot all of which can be shot in studio (with great lighting) and against a plain, neutral (grey) background.

Once this core is built (and updated as needed), more creative images can be included.

Oct 07 06 05:02 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

TXPhotog wrote:

Bruce Talbot wrote:
::: gets out rubber stamp to approve this valuable message :::

bt

yeah yeah i'm a joiner, but Roger spoke it true and Bruce already had the good sense to rubberstamp

Oct 07 06 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Alas...a question(thank you OP) that art directors for magazines have screamed about for years.....

The model's portfolio is not ment to make the party reviewing the portfolio think.."Gosh..that photographer is good!!"  If it does...then it was shot all wrong. 

Photographer portfolios are designed to show the wide range of work, quality and services available via that photographer.

The more you photo shop a model's images to go in her portfolio the more you are defeating the model portfolio's purpose...

Models need clear, professional, colorful images featuring them....not featuring the photographer.

Oct 07 06 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Terrence Blount

Chicago, Illinois, US

Christmas wrapping paper........enough said!

Oct 07 06 05:12 am Link