Forums > General Industry > censorship=bull.

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

The Naked Modern shot in my porffolio taken with the orange chair, and the shot with fans were ripped out of my Myspace profile by a moderator.

I've had the fan picture up for about six months, but just changed my entire page to match the chair picture.  Apparently, someone was offended...there is no other way a moderator on that site would have done anything.  So many cam-girls on that site, and yet tasteful nudity is cause for my page to get shut down?  Because of 14 year-olds?  SO fucking WHAT? 

I could throw up.

Oct 06 06 05:17 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

MySpace was bought a while back by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which means it's going for the mainstream as the mainstream is defined in the US, which abhors any form of public nudity, at least when they think they'd get in trouble over it.

This is unrelated, but I just moved from the US to Europe. In the US, the Wild On series on E! never showed any nudity. Here, they air a Naked Wild On edition on the European version of E! where they try to cram as many nude boobies in the program as possible.

It's hypocrisy, pure and simple...

Oct 06 06 06:04 am Link

Model

Glass Case of emotion

Miami, Florida, US

That's true.......Makes me want to move back to Europe!

Oct 06 06 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

JvR wrote:
MySpace was bought a while back by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which means it's going for the mainstream as the mainstream is defined in the US, which abhors any form of public nudity, at least when they think they'd get in trouble over it.

This is unrelated, but I just moved from the US to Europe. In the US, the Wild On series on E! never showed any nudity. Here, they air a Naked Wild On edition on the European version of E! where they try to cram as many nude boobies in the program as possible.

It's hypocrisy, pure and simple...

Don't blame News Corp.  MySpace had those rules before the buyout.

And your example of hypocrisy is weak too.  Just because the U.S. doesn't allow it but Europe does does not make us hypocrits.  Just different.

By the U.S. allowing more violence than many European nations, does that make them hypocrits?

Oct 06 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

myspace.com wrote:
Content/Activity Prohibited. The following is a partial list of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited to post on or through the MySpace Services. MySpace.com reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in MySpace.com's sole discretion, violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending communication from the MySpace Services and terminating the Membership of such violators. Prohibited Content includes, but is not limited to Content that, in the sole discretion of MySpace.com:

1. is patently offensive and promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;
   2. harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
   3. exploits people in a sexual or violent manner;
   4. contains nudity, violence, or offensive subject matter or contains a link to an adult website;
. . . .

It is what it is.  When you use it, you have to abide by their terms, regardless of what you think of those terms.

Oct 06 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

The rule is no nudity.   The community is huge.  They found yours.  Your broke the rule.  You get shut down.

Same with a speeding ticket.  I was speeding today. Didn't get pulled over.  I figure somewhere someone did.  They are crying too.

Life is simple.  Sometimes you get away with things.  Sometimes you cry.

Oct 06 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Someone should create a fake MySpace profile where all the snapshots are of people in burkas. No skin whatsoever.

Oct 06 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Also, make sure that you have permission of any photographers whose copyrighted images you are using on MySpace. By posting images there, you are allowing MySpace permission to use those images elsewhere on their site only and even to modify posted images. Only copyright holders of images can grant that, so be sure you have their OK.

Oct 06 06 11:39 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've had a picture removed from myspace before and it wasn't even one that was that wild.  But my thinking is this, whomever owns the website gets to make the rules.  By going on the website I agree to follow the rules.  No, I don't always think the rules are rational or fair, but it's not my website so I don't get to have a say in the rules.  So either follow the site rules or go start your own site with rules you consider reasonable...if enough people agree with you then they will follow!

Oct 06 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

MySpace is a "one size fits all" service, not a photography/modeling site.

The person who mentioned the double standard concerning "web cammers" had a good point, bit that normally involves directing viewers to external sites, with only "teaser" images on MySpace.

Oct 06 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I've had a couple of my pics removed as well.  Neither of which showed any nudity.  F 'em.  I'll put 'em back up some other time.

Oct 06 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shandra wrote:
The Naked Modern shot in my porffolio taken with the orange chair, and the shot with fans were ripped out of my Myspace profile by a moderator.

I've had the fan picture up for about six months, but just changed my entire page to match the chair picture.  Apparently, someone was offended...there is no other way a moderator on that site would have done anything.  So many cam-girls on that site, and yet tasteful nudity is cause for my page to get shut down?  Because of 14 year-olds?  SO fucking WHAT? 

I could throw up.

Sometimes just sucks!  It's myspace, do you expect professionalism on a site designed for 14 year olds?

Oct 06 06 10:25 pm Link