Forums > General Industry > My camera was stolen.

Photographer

NW Model Photography

Yreka, California, US

My digital camera, along with some other stuff in my car was stolen yesterday.

The memory card and images were in the camera too.

There are a couple images that might be more revealing than the model intended and they were not meant to be published.

Do you think whoever stole this would also have the nerve to do mischief with my images?  And if so, could I get in trouble?

Oct 05 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

CK Fotografia

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Yes and Yes

Oct 05 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

ebay

Oct 05 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Terrence Blount

Chicago, Illinois, US

V Smith Photography wrote:
My digital camera, along with some other stuff in my car was stolen yesterday.

The memory card and images were in the camera too.

There are a couple images that might be more revealing than the model intended and they were not meant to be published.

Do you think whoever stole this would also have the nerve to do mischief with my images?  And if so, could I get in trouble?

Do you have insurance?

Oct 05 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I'm sorry to read about your camera being stolen. Was it insured? Not that insurance could recoup the lost images.

I think a thief may well cause mischief with images found on stolen cards. If the model finds out her photos were used in this manner and she doesn't believe the camera was stolen, she could cause headaches for you. You will probably be able to clear yourself eventually. If you haven't already done so, FILE A POLICE REPORT!

Photographer

Unforgettable Image

San Antonio, Texas, US

Just my opinion not a lawyer or anything but if someone publish your pictures is probing beyond reasonable doubt that he trespass and stole your property. It seems to me like a professional theft will not want this kind of advertising.

Photographer

NW Model Photography

Yreka, California, US

I've already told the model about it.

And I have contacted my insurance company and will file a police report too.

I have not heard back yet from the model.

Oct 05 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

NW Model Photography

Yreka, California, US

I agree that it seems a thief would not take a chance with being tracked down by posting images.

If I stole a camera with pictures in it, I certainly would not try put evidence out there.

Oct 05 06 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I'm really sorry to hear about this -- it really sucks having equipment stolen. I had my 35mm camera bag stolen along with some medium format stuff (Mamiya RB) out of my house ten years ago or so. Luckily my insurance company covered it, but now I have business insurance to cover thefts. All told it was around $5,000.00 worth of stuff...

I wish you the best of luck in this!

-P-

Oct 05 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ragnar

Carson City, Nevada, US

no the thief may not even know how to down load images but the person he sells to might but, they risk getting in trouble so sleep tonight and think good thoughts.

Oct 05 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

BonedaddyBruce

Orlando, Florida, US

Sorry to hear about the camera....

I had ALL my gear stolen once about 18 years ago. They lifted my entire camera bag from a "locked" props room at a local comunity theater I was working at.

IIRC... Two Nikon bodies, 6 lenses, light meter, flash, 15+ filters, 2 release cables, bulk film loader with a full roll, about 5 used and 10+ empty rolls and a tripod.

Knocked me out of photography for several years. Got a used body similar to my original 1972 Nikkormat Chrome body I got from my dad for about $200, but it took years to build up my gear again.

Oct 05 06 11:52 pm Link