Forums > General Industry > Honesty ??

Photographer

Harley Chow

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

HI,

I've been on MM for about half a year, and there are a lot of pictures that are just not good, and members are saying "great shot", "nice shot" etc..

How many of you notice that??

Thanks
H

Oct 05 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

great comment!!

Oct 05 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

InnerGlow Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Harley Chow wrote:
HI,

I've been on MM for about half a year, and there are a lot of pictures that are just not good, and members are saying "great shot", "nice shot" etc..

Thanks
H

Yeah, I did, but don't you think you're being a little too self critical? :-)

Oct 05 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I'm Batman.

Oct 05 06 07:56 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I think it's all in the eye of the beholder, no? What you might not think is up to par, may be beautiful to someone else.

Oct 05 06 07:57 pm Link

Model

-Alisha

Simpsonville, Kentucky, US

Harley Chow wrote:
HI,

Thanks
H

I've thought the same things on serveral photos... but some people have different tastes, I guess

Oct 05 06 07:57 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

We are all at diffrent levels on this website.
Some are 30 year veterans some just picked up a camera yesterday.

By pointing out that you think others work in invalled you just opened your self up to a pretty harsh critique of your own portfolio.

Not very good advertizing on your part.

*sniffs* I smell SPAM

Oct 05 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

I see work I think is great, I see work I think sucks. But, I just don't have it in me to cut down someones work. It's not going to kill me to say 'hey, nice shot' to give someone a little encouragement, even if I don't like the work. *shrugs*

Oct 05 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

art is the interpitation of the indiv....ah screw it .... its the eye of the beholder

some people are just blind......

Oct 05 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Some are 30 year veterans some just picked up a camera yesterday.

And some combine those, so they've been trying for 30 years and their work looks like they first picked up a camera yesterday. They got the pictures back, and today they're trying it with the lenscap off.

Oct 05 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

easily the most ground break post on MM at the momment.  Some mod needs to sticky this!!

Oct 05 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

There's a point here. I think constructive criticism helps those of us who are still fairly new to consider several different perspectives on why a photo works or why it doesn't.

Oct 05 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Art maybe in the eye of the holder but technical merit shouldn't be.  Way to many...Great shot comment!!!

Oct 05 06 09:52 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

great portfolio...welcome to MM smile

Oct 05 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Ransom J wrote:
easily the most ground break post on MM at the momment.  Some mod needs to sticky this!!

Only Tyler can sticky a thread.

On topic though, I often tag the best image out of a more or less shitty portfolio to encourage the creator to go in that direction. I don't usually leave negative comments because I feel like they should have to ask for a critique. It doesn't seem right to be picking away at people all the time when they haven't really asked you for any advice.

Oct 05 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

Urheartdesires

I posted a pic that had a bad masking job, and people still left comments like great shot! Nice work! I was aware the photo had a bad masking job, but posted it to really find out if people were being honest.  I expected criticism, but not one person mentioned about the masking job.  When were they going to be honest about it I thought to myself....I have taken it down regardless of the comments, and reposted with the new one...It was my leopard photo...Check it out...Let me know what you think..Thanks

Oct 05 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Relativity tells me:

Everything sucks = Everything is great.

A relative told me:

Only my opinion matters..

Thanks, mom!

Oct 05 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Perhaps it would be more beneficial if one were to comment on why it's a good shot. That would give the creator more useful knowledge and also come across as being sincere.

Oct 05 06 09:59 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Ched wrote:
And some combine those, so they've been trying for 30 years and their work looks like they first picked up a camera yesterday. They got the pictures back, and today they're trying it with the lenscap off.

Those are my favorites
I have been shooting for 20 years = I have shot 2 times in 20 years.

why is the spam still here?

Oct 05 06 10:02 pm Link

Model

mia vaughn

Chicago, Illinois, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Relativity tells me:

Everything sucks = Everything is great.

A relative told me:

Only my opinion matters..

Thanks, mom!

Oct 05 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

mia vaughn

Chicago, Illinois, US

great analogy.. ...mass and energy seem so different, but they are exactly equiv   Mia Vaughn

Oct 05 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Focus

Glendale, Arizona, US

Harley Chow wrote:
HI,

Thanks
H

https://www.gtapmm.com/images/gtabanner.gif

Why should you care what comments are made to others?  It's not your work they're commenting on, or is it? 

B-T-W,  nice shot.

Oct 05 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Harley Chow wrote:
HI,

Thanks
H

https://www.gtapmm.com/images/gtabanner.gif

Expecting honest opinions by qualified folks is a very unrealistic expectation of the internet... where anyone can claim most anything about themselves and their work with no need to prove anything... and where a lot of folks are hoping that a compliment will get them a foot in the door for a shoot. 

Take the time to learn for yourself what is quality and what is not... then get to the quality side as quickly as you can... let others cast their opinions where they may...  cast your opinion by the quality of your work.

Oct 05 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Harley Chow

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wow, what a feedback on this topic. smile

I welcome contructive criticism.  I'd rather have an honest opinion about a shot (notice that i did not say Negative opinion) or at least comment that "it would be better if the model was posed this way.. or if you had a hair light on her, that would make the picture complete."

If these are indeed amateurs, or have not been shooting for awhile, don't you think they want to know what to improve on?

I'm not saying to leave a negative comment, just don't disillusion them by telling them thats a great shot.

btw, MM Rocks !! (thats my spam)

Thanks
H

Oct 06 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

Some things in life need a negative critique, constructively presented.  I’ve had photographs admired by qualified critics and the same photographs panned by others.  When we see comments there is no way we can know the writers were being honest…or not.  I assume the writers were being honest in their opinions whether or not I agree with those opinions.  Opinions expressed on MM and similar sites come from a variety of sources; some well versed in art and photo technology while others are quite naïve.  Also consider some people confuse technological perfection with what photographic art should be.  As Ansel Adams stated, “There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”  And that's subjective!

Oct 09 06 09:05 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Partial Quote:  "... Also consider some people confuse technological perfection with what photographic art should be.  As Ansel Adams stated, “There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ...”

I LIKE that!  big_smile

Oct 09 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Rick Jolly

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

lotusphoto wrote:
great comment!!

great answer, bout fell out of chair laughing!

Oct 09 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Ched wrote:
I'm Batman.

Ched .... you're off your meds again, aren't you?

Supportively,
Curt

Oct 09 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Harley Chow wrote:
HI,

Thanks
H

That is the biggest problem with MM.  TOO many from MyFriends who see MM as a place to stroke each other's egos, but not help them.   You are right.  There are far FAR too many bullshyt images that people give thumbs up to, and too many people who feel that we need to endorse BS so that these GWP dont run off crying.    There IS a difference between a model with cell phone and mirror images, and one who makes an honest effort.  I say stop catering to GWPs who keep dont want to try, and support those who want to make an effort.   I think that we need to start tagging the GWPs with HONEST OPINIONS to get real pics or leave.

Oct 09 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Truely, as long as what I shoot sells. The only people I'm gonna listen to are those that  write the checks. So why would I be posting my stuff for critque here?
Peoples tastes vary,  but those that feed me get first listen.

Paul

Oct 10 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:
I'm Batman.

Ched, it's becoming obvious that you're looking for Robbin. Do you think he has a profile here on MM? smile

Oct 10 06 02:19 am Link

Model

Douglas Zukowski

Tacoma, Washington, US

i comment on what i like... if i dont like it.... i dont say anything smile

i just told someone that i liked her pose on a tree, and stated that i was terrible at posing on trees smile

i think i always look horrible... but others seem to think im not that bad.... so whatever floats your boat as they say...

Oct 10 06 02:28 am Link

Model

Terra Bryant

Kent, Washington, US

Different people have different oppinions

Oct 10 06 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

My observation was that many of these comments were suck-up remarks to models by photographers wanting to shoot with them someday. But I could be wrong.

Oct 10 06 02:34 am Link