Forums > General Industry > Quantarray filters?

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

The local Ritz has a sale on Quantarray filters and I was wondering what people here thought of them. Should I pick up a few?

Oct 05 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

your camera can't focus on the filter, so it sorta doesn't mater, except that quantaray coatings might not be as good, there arent that many filter making companies out there, and rumour has it that quantaray filters are made by hoya or tiffen anyways... who knows

Oct 05 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Bowling

Wesley Chapel, Florida, US

While I don't know who makes quanteray filters but having worked in camera stores for some time I can say with a FACT that the filter can make a huge difference. I will only use B+W, Hoya HMC or Promaster Digital UV filters. For general effects like polarizers I like B+W and Hoya HMC (Matter of fact anything that is B+W or Hoya HMC is pretty safe). Tiffin makes awesome effect filters like thir 812 warming and I am itching to play with their new Glimmerglass and Smoque filters. For inexpensive and pretty good go with Promaster, they are made by Hoya for Pro and ar a little less expensive than their Hoya counterpart. The last Quateray filter I bought is with the last Smegma (er ah, Sigma) lens I owned.

24 Miles offshore at the bottom of the Atlantic.

R_L

Oct 05 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Don't know who makes Quantaray filters; I do know their tripods/monopods are made by Slik and their flashes by Sunpak. Promaster products are jobbed out order by order and the filter shipped to retailers this month may not be made by the same manufacturer as the one they shipped last month. That may or may not be a real problem, though. I've never had any trouble with the Promaster zoom lens I bought in 1985.

Oct 05 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Raven_Lakota wrote:
Smegma

eew.

Batman doesn't favor the references to dick cheese.

Oct 05 06 07:55 pm Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

I have several Quantaray filters (buy 2 get 1 free is not a new special at Ritz - they've had this for awhile now).  I recently got a UV from Hoya and like it better than the Quantaray MC UV lens that I have.  I also have a Quantaray circular polarizer which I need to return to Ritz.  (I can't turn the polarizer without the entire filter being screwed off my camera lens.)

Oct 06 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Raven_Lakota wrote:
Smegma

Ched wrote:
eew.

Batman doesn't favor the references to dick cheese.

smear it on for a soft focus effect....

Oct 06 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Maybe move this to the Photographer's Forum. You're likely to get decent feedback there.

Oct 06 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:
your camera can't focus on the filter, so it sorta doesn't mater, except that quantaray coatings might not be as good, there arent that many filter making companies out there, and rumour has it that quantaray filters are made by hoya or tiffen anyways... who knows

by this i mean, your camera with some lens focuses down to 14 inches, the filter is zero inches, the filter is 'out of focus'

anyways, someone just emailed me and asked what i meant

Oct 07 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:

by this i mean, your camera with some lens focuses down to 14 inches, the filter is zero inches, the filter is 'out of focus'

anyways, someone just emailed me and asked what i meant

That was me, thanks for the clarification.

Oct 07 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

In many ways this continued debate over which products are better or if a product
is good are pointless.  Very often two or more of a like product are produced by
the same company.  Nikon sensors I believe have or are produced by Sony.
At around the same price point my expirence is products are at the same level of
quality.  A D-70 is about the same in quality as a E-300 or E-500 and a
Cannon digital rebel.  There may be one or two things that pull one camera above
another but construction and resolution are often very close.  I'm not sure who
really makes the Ritz camera filters.

Oct 07 06 01:44 pm Link