Forums > General Industry > PC users - Microsoft Expression

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

(First, please don't try to talk me into a Mac. It's not practical for me for a number of reasons.)

I downloaded Microsoft Expression Graphic Designer beta, what was billed to me as more functional and easier to use than Photoshop. (Yeah, I know.) I'm a casual editor, not a full-bore serious software jockey. I don't think it's as easy or as intuitive as Photoshop.

Anyone else have any experience with this package?

(I've downloaded the Expression Web Designer, too, but haven't installed it. Microsoft is finally killing off FrontPage.)

Oct 05 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Never heard of that MS program, but after paying $$$ for Photoshop and CS2 upgrade, not sure I want to trust an MS program.  Photoshop isn't God, but it's not the devil either. ;-)

Oct 05 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Too much time and money invested in PSCS2 to consider it...

Oct 05 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Thanks, guys.

Oct 06 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Yeah, Photoshop CS2 rox and I wouldn't be interested in test driving a competing program from Microsoft. Also, if you'd like a very easy to use less expensive program for photo editing I recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements. It has a lot of the functionality of Photoshop but only costs around $100.00 or so. And I wonder if Microsoft's next web design program is going to suck as much as Frontpage. Microsoft does make some nice programs, but in many cases they just don't seem to "get it."

-P-

Oct 06 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I have used microstft's digital image pro 10 for a year or so.  I like it a lot.
Actually the healing brush is better than the PS spot healing brush.
Here is the problem though, no one will be able to help you with microsoft programs and your editing all photographers use PS.  so I switched.

Oct 06 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Thanks. As a hobbyist, I do use PS Elements. There's also some version of Elements that came in piggybacked to a scanner sale. 

I had a friend send me a bootlegged full-blown PS, but my conscience wouldn't let me use it. I know, it's unbelievable, but that's how it is. Since the MS Expressions was a free download, I thought I'd give it a whirl, but I can't see a great reason to use it over PS.

When Microsoft does things right, it seems most often it's because they've bought something else from the market, like PowerPoint, and not messed with it too much.

Oct 06 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Shantul Nigam

Avon, Connecticut, US

Take a look at PaintShop Pro from Corel. Its been around for a while and is very good.

Oct 06 06 04:36 pm Link