Forums > General Industry > Rules, rules, rules . . . go ahead break them.

Photographer

MegaHertz Studios

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I am addicted to the forums on MM.
But slavish reliance on the "rules of photography" make me giggle.

I love using certain rules of composition; but sometimes breaking the rules creates a great photograph.

So don't get upset when someone critiques your photos and quotes a favorite rule.

Experiment, do what you love, it will be OK.

Andy Warhol broke a few rules.  Nobody seemed to like Van Gogh when he was alive.  They both did some good work.

Oct 05 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

donald vance

New York, New York, US

MegaHertz Studios wrote:
I am addicted to the forums on MM.
But slavish reliance on the "rules of photography" make me giggle.

I love using certain rules of composition; but sometimes breaking the rules creates a great photograph.

So don't get upset when someone critiques your photos and quotes a favorite rule.

Experiment, do what you love, it will be OK.

Andy Warhol broke a few rules.  Nobody seemed to like Van Gogh when he was alive.  They both did some good work.

lmao!!!
you are obviously insane but you are also (almost) entirely correct!
d-

Oct 05 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

MegaHertz Studios

Why insane?

Oct 05 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

MegaHertz Studios

Why almost entirely correct?

Oct 05 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

You're right...to a point. One of the first laws of composition is the "rule of thirds". Now there are certainly cases where breaking that rule and centering your subject works, but I still believe these cases should be the exception and not the new rule.

Bottom line...if you and your subject like the photos, shoot them how you like.

Oct 05 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Well, you can break the rule of thirds with a series of triangles and there are a couple other things that seem to work. Doesn't have to conform to a tic-tac-toe board all the time.

I'm Batman.

Oct 05 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Ched wrote:
Well, you can break the rule of thirds with a series of triangles and there are a couple other things that seem to work. Doesn't have to conform to a tic-tac-toe board all the time.

I'm Batman.

Good point. I've also broken it with s-curves.

Oct 05 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Good point. I've also broken it with s-curves.

I think when people say they're composing with curves, it usually turns out to be triangles, meaning the rule of thirds is simply off axis.

Anyone care to post some examples of odd but functional compositions?

Oct 05 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Ched wrote:

I think when people say they're composing with curves, it usually turns out to be triangles, meaning the rule of thirds is simply off axis.

Anyone care to post some examples of odd but functional compositions?

Probably not what you were asking for, but the bubble bath photo in my port has a number of triangles.

Oct 05 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

This one?

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060919/06/450fd261c7334.jpg

I don't see them. I mean I see the triangle the wall creates, but it doesn't really make it a functional composition. Composition is the visual guides for the eye at first glance. Here there don't seem to be any. The only thing my eye is pulled in by is the skin on the side of model's face, but that isn't really what the picture is about, you seem to have wanted it to be about the lips and the hands. My eye doesn't go to them first. Maybe you should have tilted the camera to follow one of the caulk lines of the back edge of the bathtub?

Oct 05 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Rules are made to be understood; and once you understand them, then you can break them with impunity.

Rules are more fun to write than to follow; only through a great deal of practice and experience will you be able to derive your own rules.

Once you derive your own rules, you may find that your rules align with everyone elses - or you may discover that you are a "visionary" standing out in left field. Either way, you've learned something.

Since rules are open to interpretation (e.g.: the "rule of thirds") you can mentally interpret almost anything that looks good as following the rule of thirds. Conversely, if it looks awful, you can figure out some way in which it violates the rule. The rule, in other words, exists to make you comfortable with that which you already like.

mjr.

Oct 05 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
You're right...to a point. One of the first laws of composition is the "rule of thirds". Now there are certainly cases where breaking that rule and centering your subject works, but I still believe these cases should be the exception and not the new rule.

Bottom line...if you and your subject like the photos, shoot them how you like.

Rule of Thirds, BUSTED!!!

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/37568363.jpg

well, *I* like it anyhow...

Had I centered these, I don't they'd be as appealing...

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/65188797.jpg
https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/64229927.jpg

Oct 05 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

I aways break the rules of photography. It a habit of mine that works

Oct 05 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Rules are made to be understood; and once you understand them, then you can break them with impunity.

Rules are more fun to write than to follow; only through a great deal of practice and experience will you be able to derive your own rules.

Once you derive your own rules, you may find that your rules align with everyone elses - or you may discover that you are a "visionary" standing out in left field. Either way, you've learned something.

Since rules are open to interpretation (e.g.: the "rule of thirds") you can mentally interpret almost anything that looks good as following the rule of thirds. Conversely, if it looks awful, you can figure out some way in which it violates the rule. The rule, in other words, exists to make you comfortable with that which you already like.

mjr.

Excellent...

Oct 05 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/37568363.jpg

well, *I* like it anyhow...

Had I centered these, I don't they'd be as appealing...

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/65188797.jpg
https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/64229927.jpg

Nice pics.

Oct 05 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

Rules are meant to be broken. Do what makes you happy. If it's appealing to you, it's probably appealing to someone else as well. No one can please everyone, and if you're busy trying to please everyone, then you'll fail.

Oct 05 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Ched wrote:
This one?

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060919/06/450fd261c7334.jpg

I don't see them. I mean I see the triangle the wall creates, but it doesn't really make it a functional composition. Composition is the visual guides for the eye at first glance. Here there don't seem to be any. The only thing my eye is pulled in by is the skin on the side of model's face, but that isn't really what the picture is about, you seem to have wanted it to be about the lips and the hands. My eye doesn't go to them first. Maybe you should have tilted the camera to follow one of the caulk lines of the back edge of the bathtub?

Well, I haven't been doing this as long as you and we may be working from different perspectives on what comnposition means. To me, it's the arrangement of elements in your photos and that's where I saw the triangles in the aforementioned photo. I massacred it in order to show where I saw the triangles.

https://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/tzq7f8/amandatub2marked.jpg

Oct 05 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Absolutely, all of the 'rules' of composition  can all be broken. But ..... for god's sake, know what they are first. Understand them, underestand why they exist and have lasted for a couple of centuries. Then when you know what they are and why they are, feel free to break them.

Oct 05 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Doug Lester wrote:
Absolutely, all of the 'rules' of composition  can all be broken. But ..... for god's sake, know what they are first. Understand them, underestand why they exist and have lasted for a couple of centuries. Then when you know what they are and why they are, feel free to break them.

I think this is what I was getting at but you put it more eloquently. Knowing why you are "breaking the rules" is far better than arbitrarily breaking them without understanding them in the first place.

Oct 05 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

The first one is a weak composition, but would be stronger with a little more room on the left side. The last two don't break the rules, they follow the rule of thirds in almost textbook fashion!

Oct 05 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Please pardon the image borrowing...

This one has no distinct compositional structure. The only way to save this image would be to crop down, but even that wouldn't help very much because the use of light in the shot is haphazard at best:

https://charlesbeckwith.com/gagimages/compositionexample1.jpg

Here I've taken the original shot and widened it by cloning the terrain on the left and expanding the frame, putting the eyes of the model on a classic thirds intersection point.

https://charlesbeckwith.com/gagimages/compositionexample2.jpg

In these two you claim to be throwing out the rules, but in fact have simply failed to take into account the fact that when your frame is no longer a square, your thirds intersection points are layed out on a thinner central rectangle instead of folowing in perfectly equal subdivisions. You could apply the rule of thirds to a circle if needed, there just have to be certain adjustments.

https://charlesbeckwith.com/gagimages/compositionexample3.jpg

The boy on the mountain is only about 5-10% out of alignment with the compositional arrangement dictated by the horizon. It's a near perfect composition. You may be happy with the shot but it could be stronger with extremely minor adjustments to how you framed the shot.

https://charlesbeckwith.com/gagimages/compositionexample4.jpg

Oct 05 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

I shoot whatever looks good in the viewfinder. in my opinion, rules should fit your compostions, and not the other way around.

Oct 05 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

For the love of... !

If you take a picture, and there is a strong composition, chances are you are seeing the Rule of Thirds at work.

I don't think about the rule of thirds when I shoot. I think about leading room and following room and positive and negative space.

It works out that the strong compositions usually follow the Rule of Thirds whether you consciously made use of it or not.

It is extremely difficult to create a very strong image that does not match up with an application of the rule of thirds. People get MFA's and work for ten years after and still don't know how to break the rule of thirds. It just works.

It has to do with human perception and perspective, it's primal and biological, and getting away from it is ridiculously hard.

Oct 05 06 08:06 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Rules Shmools! I guess because I am not actively trying to MAKE money off of my photography, I don't pay any mind to the "rules" (I actually have sold some of my photography however, but it wasn't intentionally meant to happen). I just like to have fun. I see something of interest, I take the photo. Whatever comes out in the end is either surprisingly better than anticipated, or a huge disappointment. Just lets me know what to do or not to do next time.

Oct 05 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Given that the "rule of thirds" is a very broad simplification of the underlying principles, it seems strange to call it a 'law'. It's merely a quick guideline for achieving a particular kind of visual result. (Dynamic vs static.)

If someone deliberately centered something because they knew the results would result in an increast in a particular feeling (solid, static, stable), is that 'breaking' the rule of thirds, or merely understanding what's underneath it?

Studying art helps, especially analyzing effective art (effective being, of course, variable...)

Studying human perception and perceptual responses helps also, and that includes some of the more recent (~50 years or so) studies of physio- and psycho-perceptual issues as well as the cultural aspects. (Arnhelm's Art and Visual Perception is a good introduction to what lies behind/beneath the so-called rules.)

Oct 05 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Ways of Seeing is good too.

Oct 05 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

MegaHertz Studios

I use the rule of thirds on every shoot, but what I am more interested in is creating a path the the eye can travel along.

Or for that matter it can be purely a psychological journey.

I try to create a visually or psychologically interesting image, if that uses certain rules of composition fine, if not it can still be effective photo.

Oct 06 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Ched wrote:

The first one is a weak composition, but would be stronger with a little more room on the left side. The last two don't break the rules, they follow the rule of thirds in almost textbook fashion!

No, you're wrong.  The first one is perfect.  You're not Batman anymore! tongue wink

and I showed the others to indicate that had the subjects BEEN in the center of the frame, they'd very likely be less appealing.  Which is why the "Rule of the Thirds" is a good idea to learn and use as a guideline when composing a photo. 

Knowing the rules makes one THINK about the rules.  It's during that process you can decided whether or not it is best to follow it or not.

Oct 06 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Ched wrote:
Here I've taken the original shot and widened it by cloning the terrain on the left and expanding the frame, putting the eyes of the model on a classic thirds intersection point.

https://charlesbeckwith.com/gagimages/compositionexample2.jpg

It does look pleasing, but I don't see it as really being more interesting in any way.  Had the background been different, I'd likely feel different.  But since it's a blurred out background (leaves on the ground) it really doesn't do anything for me to have her off-center.  This I think just comes down to an eye of the beholder thing.  I rarely like shots like this because it is too centered.  I found this to be my exception.

Oct 06 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

What do you think about cropping?

I'm always thinking I'm going to crop awkwardly and as a result I shoot wider and more centered than I should.

Oct 06 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

A third to me a third to the IRS and a third to my daughter?

Oct 06 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

When you think you are breaking one "rule" for a visual effect, you are probably just applying a different "rule" you didn't know about. If you like the results of your renegade "rule breaking" style, and continue to repeat the techniques you prefer, you just made your own "rules". Chances are, there were many before you (and many after) who will come to the same conclusion as you. That's where the "rules" came from to start with. One way to learn the "rules" is by the trial and error method. You will learn from your mistakes, and the key is recognizing the "mistakes" that worked out well. If you want to take a shortcut, you can choose to learn from the same collective "mistakes" people have been making for thousands of years.

Oct 06 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I shoot what I want and like...I don't live by photography "rules" and I am happy with where I am right now.  I find it extremely funny when photographers discuss "rules" and that my work would look better if I followed them and then I look at their work and it looks like they shot everything inside of a Sears Studio....

Oct 07 06 09:47 am Link