Forums > General Industry > How Often Do You Shoot?

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

This is just a curiosity thing, and anyone can answer.  But how often do you do a shoot?

I mentioned in another thread that I have two lined up for this month.  That's it, that's all, and that's likely all I'm going to do this month.  I have one potential for November and nothing yet for December (though I'm sorta working on December).  Mind, the nature of my business allows me to get away with this.  Say I shoot with a model for 3 hours (which is about right).  In that 3 hours I can get up to 9 sets done, depening on if we're doing topless or fully clothed.  I update my site 3 times a week and currently there's about a five to six week period that goes between a model's appearances on my site.  In other words, if I put up a set of Jenn Marie today, the next Jenn Marie set won't go up for about 5 or 6 weeks while I cycle through my other models.  Currently, at a rate of 3 times a week, I have enough updates to last me 9 months without doing another shoot.  So, like I said, I can get away with doing only one or two shoots a month.

But what about the rest of you?  Does anybody shoot every week?  How about every day?  Is there anyone out there for whom this is the primary source of income (it's not mine--not yet at any rate and I'm not entirely convinced it ever will be)?

Just curious.

Oct 05 06 08:23 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have a full time job and do this on the side.  That being said, I tend to go through cycles of doing alot...then getting tired and a little burned out a doing not much.  I.E. one month I'll do alot of shoots and the next month not at all.  I think it all depends on what you've got going on with the rest of your life.

Oct 05 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

I shoot as often as I can... and several of my models do also...

Oct 05 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Tracy L Province

Omaha, Arkansas, US

I also am a music photographer. So, I am shooting constantly.  This week I happen to be a little off, not much in the way of concerts going on.  Normally, I shoot 1-2 models per week, sometimes twice in one week of the same model.  Then I also have concerts about 3 nights a week or so and 1-2 promo shoots for musicians also.  On top of that I'm shooting for my upcoming gallery opening for art prints.  I don't think I ever actually stop shooting (or finishing photos), I pretty much work around the clock seven days a week.

Oct 05 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Between 3 to 5 times a week.

If I have too much postproduction, I may skip a week to catch up.

Oh, and yeah, it's not only my primary source of income, it's my only one.

Oct 05 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Hecates_illusion

Columbus, Ohio, US

I shoot models not as often as I shoot other things. I have to do that traditional boring family photo stuff through the week. I don't even count those. I carry my camera everywhere though and shoot when I find something interesting. I shoot with a model about three times a month.

Oct 05 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

It's my primary source of expense.

Among landscaping, sports, informal events, other informal things, models, and landscape forays, one to three times a week. Thank goodness for digital, or I couldn't do it. Since this is ModelMayhem, I shoot with a model once or twice a month, I guess.

Oct 05 06 09:47 am Link

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not often enough. Whew.......actually it's been a while. I approach photographers and nothing happens I guess I have to find a new method.

Oct 05 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Not nearly as often as I would like, but I've had too much other stuff going on.  Need to step it up some.

Oct 05 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally right now my paid/client shoots are twice a week and I try to shoot 1 or 2 other days my personal stuff or stock. It is my only job and I am fortunate for that.

Oct 05 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I shoot almost every single day. I am a full-service photographer, in every sense of the word.

For example this week I've shot a groundbreaking event for a new business location and a political fundraiser party for a candidate for governor. I shot four swimming pools for a swimming pool company to use in their advertising and brochures. I did some headshots for an actor and a model portfolio shoot last weekend. I'm shooting a new headshot for a local news anchorwoman and a birthday party with 117 guests this weekend. Tonight I'm shooting a soccer game for the local paper. Next week, its about the same, with a couple concerts thrown in. 

For me, this is not just my primary source of income -- it's my only income. It's a hard way to make a living, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love what I do!

Regards,
Paul

Tape Her Up wrote:
This is just a curiosity thing, and anyone can answer.  But how often do you do a shoot?

I mentioned in another thread that I have two lined up for this month.  That's it, that's all, and that's likely all I'm going to do this month.  I have one potential for November and nothing yet for December (though I'm sorta working on December).  Mind, the nature of my business allows me to get away with this.  Say I shoot with a model for 3 hours (which is about right).  In that 3 hours I can get up to 9 sets done, depening on if we're doing topless or fully clothed.  I update my site 3 times a week and currently there's about a five to six week period that goes between a model's appearances on my site.  In other words, if I put up a set of Jenn Marie today, the next Jenn Marie set won't go up for about 5 or 6 weeks while I cycle through my other models.  Currently, at a rate of 3 times a week, I have enough updates to last me 9 months without doing another shoot.  So, like I said, I can get away with doing only one or two shoots a month.

But what about the rest of you?  Does anybody shoot every week?  How about every day?  Is there anyone out there for whom this is the primary source of income (it's not mine--not yet at any rate and I'm not entirely convinced it ever will be)?

Just curious.

Oct 05 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

RonSlatonPhoto62

Brandon, Florida, US

Letitia wrote:
Not often enough. Whew.......actually it's been a while. I approach photographers and nothing happens I guess I have to find a new method.

Letitia,

I've viewed your portfolio and you are quite attractive and professional.  I can see the "up and coming" model not firing on all cylinders, but with your standing (agency signed and all), what is wrong in this business?  I primarily shoot portraits and weddings and would love to get into fashion, models, catalogs, etc. but is it worth it?  Is it realistic?

I don't shoot as much as I'd like, having returned to school and having a wife and 5-year old.  When a model (pro, semi, or Real Person) approaches me, I welcome the opportunity.  I want this to be my only income so I'm doing everything, including micro-stock.  I wish I could shoot every day.  Hopefully, one day I will be.

Oct 05 06 10:24 am Link

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

RapidRon wrote:

Letitia,

I've viewed your portfolio and you are quite attractive and professional.  I can see the "up and coming" model not firing on all cylinders, but with your standing (agency signed and all), what is wrong in this business?  I primarily shoot portraits and weddings and would love to get into fashion, models, catalogs, etc. but is it worth it?  Is it realistic?

I don't shoot as much as I'd like, having returned to school and having a wife and 5-year old.  When a model (pro, semi, or Real Person) approaches me, I welcome the opportunity.  I want this to be my only income so I'm doing everything, including micro-stock.  I wish I could shoot every day.  Hopefully, one day I will be.

Thank you Ron for the positive critque. As a agency model there is a sterotype that we have everything together and that we shouldn't be on sites such as MM looking for work or tfcd/tfp shoots as well but the truth is as far as I know because I can only speak for the market that I know. Agencies here are so overrated. Most of the agency models that I know that reside in the Chicago Market are on MM to try and further their career just because the agencies here are so shady and  very clique-ish that this site helps agency models like myself with images and some paid assignments just as if we were freelancers. I put my agency info on my profile to distinguish myself as being professional and serious about this industry. I wonder is that one of the reasons I lack real contact on here?

Oct 05 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

considering i no longer have a day job, not nearly often enough.

Oct 05 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Every day. Not always shooting models and/or a scheduled shoot but I always take out the camera daily even when I'm not in the mood. Even if that means setting up the tripod outside my house or perched on an overpass (no...it hasn't gotten that bad) to experiment with shutter speeds and night photography.

Oct 05 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

Weakly

ooops   sorry,      weekly

whichever you prefer.

Oct 05 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Lotsa health issues with me since last July so shoots have been few and far between. Did one a couple of weeks ago and it was obvious I was out of practice. Out of 300 to 400 shots, I feel only 15 to 20 were acceptable. Now that sucks!!! sad

Gary

Oct 05 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Trevor Borchelt

Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, US

Weddings once a week when I am busy. With BP's and Engagement Sessions peppered in there. 

Add this to the conversation.  I wedding photographer might shoot 1400 frames, during a model shoot you may take 300 which is alot. 

So how many frames do you shoot a week... relevant or no?

Oct 05 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

I shoot when i can get models to shoot with me. I do have some paid shoots when i use my studio and the tfp i do on locaiton due to just getting expierance and using my photography as a tool. My sets are of about two outifit changes on locations shoots and i try to get at least 50 to 100 frames to which i give the model about half of my work on a CD. Most models now just want a raw CD no photoshop. Which is Great for me saves me photoshop time. I get about three models per week from Modelmayhem and some from other wesites aswell. It's best to keep your work diverse so that models can see your capablilities.

This is my life and i guess if I didn't use my photography skills every day. I mightr as well be just a regular GWC. No offense to all the GWC in this site.

Bravo Magic Image

Oct 05 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Not nearly enough, no matter how frequently.  I can't get enough...

Oct 05 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Maynard Southern

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Depends on the quality of the Horse.

Oct 05 06 02:20 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Tape Her Up wrote:

Just curious.

At the very minimum I shoot once a week, for anywhere from 3-8 hours. I work a full time job, but this is my passion and I need it at least once a week to keep myself sane.

I'm attempting to only shoot on Saturdays and possibly one weeknight a week for the rest of the year...but I have no idea what other offers will be coming my way, or if I will see a photographer that I need to shoot with so badly that I'll book it on a Sunday or a weeknight. If I play by my rules of Saturdays only right now, then October is already gone, and we're into November.

-D

Oct 05 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

Seems there are alot of answers similar to mine...

I usually work on paying things 3-4 times a week, TFCD stuff for experiementing with new ideas and locations/styles a couple times a week, a sporting event a week, hopefully NO weddings, and then there is always the occational lightening storm like last night, or the interesting grouping of yellow-leafed trees that cause a pause in the daily routine.

I have the luxury of owning a pair of other businesses though. A good design manager at the flower shop and a good crew for the window cleaning company and I have the freedom to do more of what I want to do than what I have to do.

-Dan.

Oct 05 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I try to shoot whenever I can. My schedule at the hospital has been quite hectic as of late which hasn't allowed me to really do a whole lot of shooting. Between work and my kids, life has just been crazy. But I do have a few shoots planned for November/December.

Oct 05 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Lebeda

Mechelen, Antwerp, Belgium

Ok...

Photography is not my main job. I have for this month 5 shoots and 4 already cancelled.

Sometimes I have more shoots (up to 20 in a month), but with those flake rates and cancellations, nah... It's not that fun anymore.

P...

Oct 05 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Never enough.

Model shoots once every 1-2 weeks. General shooting every weekend.

Oct 05 06 02:39 pm Link