Forums > General Industry > Why do they hate photoshop?

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Valeri daiquiri wrote:
Without photoshop, Kate moss would look like hell and Paris Hilton would be ripped into pieces in the magazine.

When it comes to models and magazines, there is NOT a single photograph that gets beyond the cutting board without post edits.

Once upon a time airbrush was the standard but Photoshop has taken the chair.

So I guess that's my long way of saying that I wholeheartedly concur.

Oct 05 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Split Images Studio wrote:

I imagine you have not had the opportunity to use an airbrush in retouching a REAL photograph. Darkroom manipulation and airbrushing have been around for quite some time!!!! If you dont get the composition and the mood right in the camera, I will agree that PS wont save your ass!!!

If you have the image you want, what's there to airbrush? 

The simple fact is I was lucky enough to have a first photo instructor who taught me the shortest distance between your mind and the finished image is through the camera -- a lesson I've been applying ever since.  Don't blame me for being a good student.

Oct 05 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Yerkes Photography wrote:

this is not even a drastic fix .... photographers have been airbrushing skin for decades ...
this is not as bad as some of the digital plastic surgery ive seen ....

If the photographer had lit her properly there would have been no need for retouching.  That's what getting it in the camera is all about.  Basically what we have is a badly lit image with PS used to cover the inept photography...Which is fine if that's what you're after.

Oct 05 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Thomas B wrote:
I hate darkrooms.......anyone who uses them has no talent

Absolutely. And besides their dark.

Oct 05 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisCorbettPhotography

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Thomas B wrote:
I hate darkrooms.......anyone who uses them has no talent

?  Please amplify........

Oct 05 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

So Shoot Me! wrote:

Most people would probably disagree with you.  The first shot looks actually like the face of a "below average" woman when it comes to the fashion photography I've seen.  Was she even wearing make-up? 

-- rick

I guess you haven't seen much fashion photography.

Oct 05 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

its over used by people that think its the answer, then again there are some amazing photoshop masters out there

Oct 05 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

So Shoot Me! wrote:
Man...to listen to some of you, you'd think Playboy, Vanity Fair, FHM, Maxim and Victoria's Secret

With the exception of Victoria's Secret (which is a catalog) none of the above examples are fashion.

Oct 05 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Imperious Images

Sarasota, Florida, US

Michael Rosen's photos look more like oil paintings than photographs. Over photoshopped.

Oct 05 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

emkay media design

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Ah!  So the computer has the soul!  Captain Kirk was wrong all this time!  Who knew?

the image has part of the soul.

Oct 05 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I always find this debate amusing as well as interesting.

What I find most interesting is that I think it really breaks down to style and type of shooter.   I have no interest in capturing reality and do not consider myself an "artist".  I have captured reality.  I've done it in urban centers, in third world countries and in one war zone.  To me that is capturing reality.  EVERYTHING else (for me) is product work.  I have seen a liquor company spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to have their product photographed, days spent lighting the bottle just right, and then in the end the label on the bottle (which looked, great btw) replaced with an illustrator file, enhanced in PS, which looked flawless (and that caused them a few grand more). 

And yes, there is a difference between glamour, fashion and beauty.  The are lit differently, shot differently and processed differently.  But they are all lit, they are all shot and they are ALL processed.  You don't like glamour?  Cool.  But it has a certain commercial look, which changes over time, but certain aspects of it remain consistent.  Playboy, Maxim, FHM, Stuff, Arena, they all sell millions of copies and they want a certain look - and that look is NOT reality.  That is not what they are selling.  The are selling a fantasy.  It's product photography, plain and simple, except instead of a bottle of Bombay Sapphire you're shooting a girl.  No more, no less.  Actually they're not even really the product.  The product is the fantasy, the model is merely a self-positioning prop on which to place it [the fantasy].  This may sound harsh, but it is the reality of that type of modeling/photography. 

Fashion is currently different, although you have been seeing a weird cross-blending of styles between fashion and glamour in some publications.  You also see more traditional fashion which I love.  I picked up French Vogue yesterday and I can't put it down, I love the shots, but for the most part dislike the models.  That's probably why I shoot glam and commercial....  My goal, to combine the two more.  Will it sell?  No...  But it will be MY "art" LOL!!!! 

Then you have the real art photographers, their standards are different.  Oh and what about beauty shots?  I have a stack of beauty and fashion magazines I picked up yesterday as high as my ass, and EVERY beauty shot contained in them is fantasy.  It is not real, it has been retouched.  I have spoken with people who do the retouching, they spend days, if not weeks, on each ad to make the model look flawless.  The change skin using skin maps (or texture maps) they edit eyes to make them symmetrical and more clear and vibrant, etc...   

The difference is only HOW it's been retouched.

Oct 05 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Flash Vividere

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Some of us started in the business when it was all film and there were no digital cameras or Photoshop.  When shooting chromes for a magazine we had to process the film and send the slides to the publisher and in most cases there was no touchup or airbrushing involved.  The pictures were published as shot.  Along came digital cameras and photo editing software and people were able to make "cool" pictures with the help of an editor but in a lot of cases would be embarassed to show you what the original picture looked like out of their camera.

Should someone get the same kudos for an edited image as one taken directly from the camera?  I know some "photographers" that couldn't shoot their way out of a web paper bag but are awesome with Photoshop.  I am proud of my pictures as the come out of the camera and I suck at Photoshop so I have to do it "right" in the first place. 

The other thing we learned when shooting chromes was exposure, using light meters, etc.  Chromes have no latitude for screwing up exposure like shooting RAW with a digital camera or even when shooting negatives that you can clip strip and adjust in processing. 

I think a distinction should be made for the difference between a photographer and a Photoshopper.  Yes, the two skills can be combined, but if it wasn't for PS saving some people's bacon they wouldn't have anything to show.

I have had to learn some PS techniques, not so much to save pictures, but to compete with people who are using PS to get the "wow" factor that appeals to a lot of people.

I know in the past photo competitions would distinguish between film and digital images but I haven't been to a photo competition in awhile so I don't know if they have categories for "as shot" vs. "as fixed" or not?

Lew

Oct 05 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

Daniel Norton wrote:
I guess you haven't seen much fashion photography.

Possibly not.  The only fashion photography I look at is in magazines like GQ and Vanity Fair.  And I'm pretty sure that I see more photos looking like the second shot than the first.  Near as I can tell, there aren't any photos in those magazines going "straight from the camera" to the page, without modifications in Photoshop or something equivalent (whether computerized or done "the old-fashioned way" by hand). 

I'd personally prefer something between the first and the second -- actually, more like the first, but with a couple of the blemishes that looked to me like acne being fixed.

-- rick

P.S. After some advice from one of the nice folks in this Forum, I'm going to try to get my hands on Zink, Arena Homme+ and/or Issue One.

Oct 05 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Shit it's all good, do what you gotta do to get the image you saw. It doesn't matter on bit how you got there as long as you arrived. In camera out the computer through the looking glass whatever.
The only thing that matters is the final image and the name on the check.

Oct 05 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

So Shoot Me! wrote:

Then explain all the hyper-airbrushed photos in Vanity Fair and similar mags. 

And why does Kodak sell a plug-in that will do the same thing as what happened to appear in that photo.

Man...to listen to some of you, you'd think Playboy, Vanity Fair, FHM, Maxim and Victoria's Secret (to name a few places I've seen hyper-airbrushed work and women who no longer look like they did the day of the shoot or any other day of their real lives) never retouch anything!

-- rick

it's not that they don't retouch - it's that they don't retouch BADLY (like the example).

Oct 05 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

it's not that they don't retouch - it's that they don't retouch BADLY (like the example).

Okay. Got it.  Apparently I misunderstood.  I thought someone was trying to tell me they don't retouch.  But my understanding has always been that there are virtually no images that get into those magazines unretouched. 

-- rick

Oct 05 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
The simple fact is I was lucky enough to have a first photo instructor who taught me the shortest distance between your mind and the finished image is through the camera -- a lesson I've been applying ever since.  Don't blame me for being a good student.

You know nobody would blame you for that. smile

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
If the photographer had lit her properly there would have been no need for retouching.  That's what getting it in the camera is all about.  Basically what we have is a badly lit image with PS used to cover the inept photography...Which is fine if that's what you're after.

Any comments on George Hurrell, Clarence Sinclair Bull,  Ruth Harriet Louise, etc., all of whom did some little bit of retouching. Lit improperly?

Oct 05 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

So Shoot Me! wrote:
The only fashion photography I look at is in magazines like GQ and Vanity Fair.  And I'm pretty sure that I see more photos looking like the second shot than the first.  Near as I can tell, there aren't any photos in those magazines going "straight from the camera" to the page, without modifications in Photoshop or something equivalent (whether computerized or done "the old-fashioned way" by hand).

Only on the surface, and I suspect that may be what bothers some people.

Blurring the face changes a lot of things; the texture of the skin; the texture of the image; shape of the face; etc. That is very rarely done in mainstream magazines, whether VF, GQ, Vogue, Harpers, Zink!, Maxim, or others. They are heavily retouched, and the skin is usually too clean to be 'real', but it's not gratuitously false. Skin blurring of that sort is fairly well accepted in many portrait markets; but it's not well accepted for commercial, fashion, catalog, or "higher-end" glamour, where the idea of reality--if only a hyper-real fantasy reality--is expected.

Many beginning retouchers start and stop there, and wonder why others call it fake looking. This also applies to physical airbrushing, where it takes even more skill to retouch a photograph and have it not look artificial.

Oct 05 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

MRockStyle wrote:

https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/mrockstyle/digitalmakeoverKate.jpg

great example

Oct 05 06 10:44 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

all of my images are NOT photoshopped!
I use my fingernails to sharpen.

I also have a huge studio with various W.A.S.P lights and have a camera as big as an old Toyota engine...my dark room is as big as a stadium and 15 ogres including Shrek is working there...and I pay them 25/hr plus lifetime medicare and health insurance.

any other questions?

Oct 05 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

MalameelPhotography wrote:

great example

of what?  seriously, if anyone here thinks that this is a good retouch job, then you need to just scrap whatever it is you think you know and start the fuck over from scratch.  this is pure garbage.

Oct 05 06 11:54 pm Link