Forums > General Industry > Confusing Numbers!

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

If you look at my profile, you will see that I am 6'1" and weigh 245 lbs.

If you look at my portofolio, you will see that I am proportionate, attractive, and not flabby (all relative, i suppose, but moving on)

Question: Does my actual weight turn you off? If I did not have it posted there, would  you be more likely to show interest?

Be brutal.

Oct 04 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Naomiwynn wrote:

If you look at my portofolio, you will see that I am proportionate, attractive, and not flabby (all relative, i suppose, but moving on)

Question: Does my actual weight turn you off? If I did not have it posted there, would  you be more likely to show interest?

Be brutal.

No.

Like you said, you're proportionate, attractive and not flabby. I think you look great. And I'm not just saying that to be nice. I'd photograph you!

You have that classic pinup look in some of your shots. If you look at some of the older pin-up models from back in the day, a lot of them were not skinny, they were tall, larger, curvy women.

Oct 04 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Naomiwynn wrote:

Cool, we're about the same size.

Oct 04 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Illustrated Imagery

Your a big girl and very lovely. I'm a big guy... What's the real question?

Oct 04 06 11:28 pm Link

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for your responses -
allow me to specify a bit more.

I guess when it comes down to it, what I'm really asking is just how much people really trust photographs. My weight can definitely be misleading when NOT accompanied by photos, I think. Some people just freak out when a girl weighs over 200 lbs.

And then of course there's the other issue of the search by weight. Boo to that.

Oct 04 06 11:35 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Naomiwynn wrote:
Thanks for your responses -
allow me to specify a bit more.

I guess when it comes down to it, what I'm really asking is just how much people really trust photographs. My weight can definitely be misleading when NOT accompanied by photos, I think. Some people just freak out when a girl weighs over 200 lbs.

And then of course there's the other issue of the search by weight. Boo to that.

Weight statistics alone are very misleading.  Everybody caries weight differently.  Muscle weighs much more than fat and bone more than muscle.  Your portfolio is a great example of why using weight as a search criteria doesn't really work.   So, yes, generally when someone says, "I know this 245 lb women" I would normally find myself visualizing someone who is obese. - That is clearly not the case here. smile

https://www.jaydezelic.com/remote/mmBtn01.gif

Oct 05 06 10:57 am Link

Model

Chyvonne Amara

Washington, Arkansas, US

Same thing I was wondering... And what did u tell me?

Oct 05 06 11:04 am Link

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Chyvonne Amara wrote:
Same thing I was wondering... And what did u tell me?

No, it's a different question - I have no problem with the fact that I weigh more. I just wanted to hear from people whether or not the number itself turns people away. Like, should I leave my weight out all together, should I put a lower number that looks more accurate, etc.

Oct 05 06 11:14 am Link

Model

Chyvonne Amara

Washington, Arkansas, US

There u go...smile

Oct 05 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think the weight should be gone.  Weight is irrelavent to modeling, and I've never seen anyone put their weight on a comp card.  The only purpose it serves is as a realism check against one's measurement and photos--too many aspirants don't know how to measure themselves, but they know how to use a scale.  It's those aspirants who screw things up for the models.

Oct 05 06 01:54 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I think the weight should be gone.  Weight is irrelavent to modeling, and I've never seen anyone put their weight on a comp card.  The only purpose it serves is as a realism check against one's measurement and photos--too many aspirants don't know how to measure themselves, but they know how to use a scale.  It's those aspirants who screw things up for the models.

I agree that weight shod be gone, when I tell people that I am 125lb and 6' they think I am anarexic, but I actually just have light bones. that's all.

Oct 05 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

I agree that you should remove the number - people (especially in this field) are damnably superficial and just might be turned off by a number, even though it doesn't tell the full story.

Oct 05 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I think in general, when the vast majority hears of a woman (regardless of her height) weighing over 180 (tops) they automatically think "obese" (or other cruel and harmful names). There is a misconception that has been going on for years that to be "beautiful" you have to be so-tall and weigh so-little. I think the world is changing their view a little more as we see more women in hollywood, television, etc. that are tipping the scales beyond the unrealistic (and unhealthy) idea of what "beautiful" is.

I think in answer to your question: most photographers are still looking for the thing, stick figure women who have had x-amounts of plastic surgery, making them look like every other girl out there who wants to be a model. Therefor, posting your weight will very likely get you less requests. But the way I see it, from looking at your portfolio-you're gorgeous and it's THEIR loss if they go by weight alone.

As someone stated above, your classic pin-ups and movie-Goddesses of yesteryear were much more proportionate, curvy, and voluptuous and THAT was considered true beauty. Women who looked anorexic were deemed as unhealthy and therefor, unattractive.

Oct 05 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thank you so much guys, for the concrete answers to my question! Sometimes I wonder if I'm speaking English over here...

I used to leave out my weight because I was ashamed of it. Then I realized that there wasn't anything to be ashamed of, so I put it up, mostly as a liberating kind of thing. And now I'm like...well...I guess not everyone else is liberated about my weight. So I think I'll take it down.

smile Thanks for the input.

Oct 05 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Wyant Photograpy

BOISE, Idaho, US

Naomiwynn wrote:
Be brutal.

Personally, probably. Although I weigh about the same (yes, I am a hypocrite in many areas).

Professionally, never. I can't actually even remember the last time I looked at a MM Model profile for any other information than "Experience:"; the photos tell the story.

That being said, isn't a negative reaction a positive filter for your end? I'm assuming your fear is that the negative reaction will hinder your relationship with that person in some way, but isn't it better to eliminate those people who get offended before any real work starts?

As a photographer, I don't care about your physical apperance at all, unless I'm shooting for my portfolio. In all cases, the shoot dictates the model. You're either what I need now, what I might need later, or unprofessional.

Oct 06 06 03:54 am Link

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Matt Wyant Photograpy wrote:
That being said, isn't a negative reaction a positive filter for your end? I'm assuming your fear is that the negative reaction will hinder your relationship with that person in some way, but isn't it better to eliminate those people who get offended before any real work starts?

As a photographer, I don't care about your physical apperance at all, unless I'm shooting for my portfolio. In all cases, the shoot dictates the model. You're either what I need now, what I might need later, or unprofessional.

It's not a matter of eliminating people who are offended by my weight. It's a matter of not confusing people, or making them wonder "hmmm, maybe she's ganded 100 pounds since these photos were taken...or maybe her second, third and fourth chins were simply photoshopped out"

If a photographer looks at the photos of me and my measurements and says, "She's too big for my project" or "I don't work with anyone above a size 4" then that's eough of a filter for me. I don't need to deter people because they may think I'm a lot bigger than I actually am, or because they never even get to see my profile in the first place since it wouldn't occur to them to include my weight in a search for a plus size fashion model.

Oct 06 06 07:21 am Link