Forums > General Industry > men can't wear makeup?

Photographer

Diana Phan

San Jose, California, US

i'm looking through all these MUA profiles and i'm having the most difficult time finding pictures of men with make up on. what's up with that?

Aug 12 05 09:42 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

I dunno.  My boyfriend wears makeup in his work but he does gothic work so i don't know.  I personally find nothing wrong with it.

Aug 12 05 09:47 pm Link

Model

Chris Winters

West Hollywood, California, US

go to my profile. some photos that are HTL specific are done by candace corey (www.candacecorey.com). but it isnt anything wild....

I DO need to list her though under as MUA

Aug 13 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Stacy Patrick

Beverly Hills, California, US

check the link on my profile page right under my name...you can see myself and bandmates in full male makeup glam rock glory.

wink

Aug 13 05 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Kinga does a lot of makeup for men.  He's awesome.

Aug 13 05 01:58 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Diana Phan wrote:
i'm looking through all these MUA profiles and i'm having the most difficult time finding pictures of men with make up on. what's up with that?

If you just want to see how it should look:

http://www.fordmodels.com/search.cfm?of … ent_email=

Aug 13 05 02:01 am Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Diana Phan wrote:

I dont know. But we need more men wearing makeup! I thinks its cool.

Aug 13 05 02:17 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

IMO, male models should at least have decent foundation/powder to even out their skintone and de-shine.  (Shrug.)

Aug 13 05 04:00 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

any professional male model you see is generally wearing some type of makeup. If its done well you wont be able to tell cause for guys eww...makeup is gay! (sacrcasim) No one has perfect skin, generally they just wear basic foundation as josie mentioned to even out their skin. Or depending on what the photographer is trying to achieve certain features might be highlighted or downplayed by makeup.

but basically the reason you don't see it is cause you not saposed to . sshhh! its a secret!

Aug 13 05 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

Mary Frantz #20826 did makeup on two models I recently shot.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050804/1/42f204e7ca5eb.jpg

Aug 13 05 07:08 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

every guy i have shot, had an MUA..

https://www.swinskey-photographic-art.com/images/tig-01.jpg
MUA: Dawn Gardner

https://www.swinskey-photographic-art.com/images/gallery%20images/051.jpg
MUA: Julissa Mercado

Aug 13 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Diana Phan

San Jose, California, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

If you just want to see how it should look:

http://www.fordmodels.com/search.cfm?of … ent_email=

that's excellent! thanks.

Aug 13 05 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Diana Phan wrote:

that's excellent! thanks.

No problem.

Aug 13 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Diana Phan

San Jose, California, US

Leila wrote:
any professional male model you see is generally wearing some type of makeup. If its done well you wont be able to tell cause for guys eww...makeup is gay! (sacrcasim) No one has perfect skin, generally they just wear basic foundation as josie mentioned to even out their skin. Or depending on what the photographer is trying to achieve certain features might be highlighted or downplayed by makeup.

but basically the reason you don't see it is cause you not saposed to . sshhh! its a secret!

that's a given.

what i was really looking for is extreme makeup. something creative and fun, wacky with the eyeliner, gloss, crazy hair, etc...yet still on the high fashion end. maybe i'm crazy.

Aug 13 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Diana Phan

San Jose, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
IMO, male models should at least have decent foundation/powder to even out their skintone and de-shine.  (Shrug.)

i believe that EVERY model should be wearing foundation/powder regardless of their gender. the camera pickes up every bit of inconsistency. not to mention, i notice that a model appears more 3 dimensional when they're wearing makeup as opposed do lifeless when they're not. then there's all those bazillion lights shining on them...

Aug 13 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Diana Phan

San Jose, California, US

Stacy Patrick wrote:
check the link on my profile page right under my name...you can see myself and bandmates in full male makeup glam rock glory.

wink

now that's HOT!

Aug 13 05 01:16 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Diana Phan wrote:

that's a given.

what i was really looking for is extreme makeup. something creative and fun, wacky with the eyeliner, gloss, crazy hair, etc...yet still on the high fashion end. maybe i'm crazy.

uh...i'm thinking thats not gonna really work well with high fashion but you never know. You mean like a david bowie type thing? Casue he was pretty hot.

Most extreme type makup on men you'll see in goth stuff

Aug 13 05 01:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faythe jaxmua

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I do make up on men a few times a week, the reason that I do not show case those pictures userally is because it really doesn't showcase my creative work. I will from now on add atleast one male photo to each portfolio, to showcase my deversity.  MUA=FAYTHE

Aug 13 05 10:56 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Leila wrote:
uh...i'm thinking thats not gonna really work well with high fashion but you never know. You mean like a david bowie type thing? Casue he was pretty hot.

I blame him for my attraction to gothy guys.  When I was 9 years old, David Bowie (in Labyrinth) was the sexiest man alive.  I think it was the hair and makeup, honestly. :p

Aug 14 05 02:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

Merrillville, Indiana, US

Men do wear make-up, to enhance how they look in photo's-you just can't tell when it is done well....unless it is called for(like Goth, glam,etc..)
What is on mine, in the few I posted, is specifically for the stage.....but models wear it ,too...smile
~Amanda

Aug 14 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Aug 15 05 08:08 am Link

Aug 15 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

The idea with male models, is that you're usually not supposed to realize that they are wearing makeup.

Their skin is just a little more flawless, their eyes pop a bit more, etc...

John

Aug 15 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Diana Phan

San Jose, California, US

Aaron_H wrote:
http://modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=4260

this is EXACTLY what i was talking about. people keep sending me pics of the crow. thank you so much!

Aug 15 05 02:03 pm Link

Model

Chaotika

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I love me a man in make-up...
https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050502/1/4276947dcd15b.jpg
Now that's some sexy make-up big_smile
Beautiful smile

Aug 15 05 02:32 pm Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

Makeup should be used on whomever....man, woman, vegetable, etc. Its to make the object look flawless for the camera.   

When I was doing a lot of public speaking/tv stuff, everyone got dusted down with face powder before being allowed on the set. Everyone.

If you can't tell if some is wearing makeup, then the MUA did a great job smile

Oh yeah, Glam rock guys are hot.....guys with long hair too!

Aug 15 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I always recommend makeup for males as well as females.  The key to good male model makeup is not to look 'made up".  The more natural the makeup looks the better the overall look in my opinion.  But then again, I'm just a photographer...

Aug 16 05 08:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Leila wrote:

good answer.  There are plenty of men on my site www.themakeupartist.com  I actually do more men makeup then women but if its good nobody will know

Aug 16 05 09:05 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

When I show up on a shoot with guys I most often hear that they are glad to see me!   I am told most female artist's here put too much makeup on the guys!  I do "grooming" In fact since most of the work here is life stlye, (which I am known for) I do grooming/light makeup for women also.  For me it is all about the skin.  I am hired most often because I understand that  the models are background to the product.

Aug 16 05 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Mary wrote:

good answer.  There are plenty of men on my site www.themakeupartist.com  I actually do more men makeup then women but if its good nobody will know

true in the standard way men are made up, but it hasn't been that uncommon in the avant garde fashion and culture mags to see the wild and crazy creative high fashion style make up on guys, similar to what i linked to

Aug 17 05 01:45 am Link