Forums > General Industry > is it a bad idea

Model

Elle Meadows

Manhattan Beach, California, US

for a model to get a tattoo somewhere it isn't really noticeable, and if it were small, would companies and photographers, not hire someone for that? i dunno just curious, thanks for the advice
michelle

Oct 04 06 02:42 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Durham, North Carolina, US

it just depend some photographwer like it some not!!But the question what u have to ask urself is do i really want a tatoo!!!I really love them but i think i will never get one because a tatooo is something what will stay 4ever and i think u can get 1 only if that have a meaning to u and not only because is the new trend!!This is just my opinion!!

Oct 04 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Hecates_illusion

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'd imagine a make up artist would have no trouble covering it. If the photographer has a problem with it tell them to find a make up artist. Other wise just cover it with clothing.

Oct 04 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Don't be in a hurry to get one, and PLEASE...no tramp-stamps above your ass.

I personally like tattoos, moreso on those models who immerse themselves in them and live it. Cutesy girlie tattoos here and there can be annoying.

Oct 04 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

I would suggest putting off the a tattoos until after your modeling career is over.  Body art just does not have the mass appeal or acceptance in the marketplace.  Of course their are exceptions to every rule.  Do you think your that exception?

Oct 04 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

If you are thinking about mainstream, commercial and fashion, the less tattoos and piercings the better.

You are tall and slim, you might want to go to open-calls at agencies to see if you can get signed.  And after that, don't do it until you have asked your agent.

Oct 04 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

When I turned 18 I wanted to get a tattoo. However, I knew that my mother would be very disapointed if I did. So I asked her about it. She said that she would support the idea if I would promise to wait one full year before getting it. I honored the promise and a year later I didn't want the tattoo. And I am art-free to this day.

Do what I did. Wait a year. And if you really want it you'll want it a year from now as well.

Also, girls started getting tattoos to be unique.. Well, now you're much more unique without one.

Oct 04 06 09:36 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have a realtively small tattoo (the size of a quarter) on the small of my back. I actually got it while modeling BUT-I was doing face shots for Makeup and such. My tattoo is very personal to me, which is why I decided to get it. I think that it's a good idea, like others said to wait and see what happens with your career and then decide. You may not even want it then.

Oct 04 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have a realtively small tattoo (the size of a quarter) on the small of my back. I actually got it while modeling BUT-I was doing face shots for Makeup and such. My tattoo is very personal to me, which is why I decided to get it. I think that it's a good idea, like others said to wait and see what happens with your career and then decide. You may not even want it then.

Oct 04 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Modeling is competitive.  To compete successfully, you have to have more "right" about you, and less "wrong", than other models trying for a job. 

Most mainstream clients will view a tat as "wrong".

But do what you want to do.  It seems these days everyone feels the need to "show their individuality" by doing what everyone else does.

Oct 04 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
But do what you want to do.  It seems these days everyone feels the need to "show their individuality" by doing what everyone else does.

That just needs to be repeated...

Oct 04 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

Elle Meadows

Manhattan Beach, California, US

thanks for the advice, was just curious i don't plan on getting one any day soon plus im not even of age. just a bit curious if i did have the desire to get one, but i clearly dont

Oct 05 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Michelle you are very pretty. You seem to be thinking about this, so all I ask is that you name me 10 agency models who had tattoos when signed,

Star

(I can't even name 10 agency models)

Oct 05 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Also, girls started getting tattoos to be unique.. Well, now you're much more unique without one.

Likewise, I think pubic hair is sexy and feminine.
It's a rare and happy photoshoot when I find some.

Oct 05 06 02:15 am Link

Model

Owen Thomas

San Francisco, California, US

Tattoos are a fad... all those people with tribal tattoos on thier biceps are hating life right now.

Oct 05 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

I have now retired from full time photography after 40 years in the business. Over that time many of my clients (beauty, lingerie) refused to even interview models with any tattoos, no matter where they were. It is a matter of personal choice if you have one or more done. However, you may find that it will restrict your work load. If a tattoo is required for a shot it can be added temporary. Also to assume that a photographer should spend time and money blocking out a tattoo on Photoshop is expecting too much.

Oct 05 06 02:20 am Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Michelle Meadows wrote:
for a model to get a tattoo somewhere it isn't really noticeable, and if it were small, would companies and photographers, not hire someone for that? i dunno just curious, thanks for the advice
michelle

While I hate them, it seems like every model I shoot has at least 1....
But I know that there are several of the better models that wish they hadn't gotten one...

Oct 05 06 09:05 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Owen Thomas wrote:
Tattoos are a fad...

wow, thousands of years is quite the time span for a fad!

Oct 05 06 09:18 am Link

Model

Chyvonne Amara

Washington, Arkansas, US

I say do what U feel... If a photog. Doesnt like that look, there will be more out there seriously... This society is filled with tons on do's and don'ts It's also filled with  mega variety... It's about style and what fits you!!

Oct 05 06 09:22 am Link