Forums > General Industry > im not for sure

Model

strawberree_shortcake

Hays, Kansas, US

This guy is saying he works for a fitness magazine and he wants me to be in the magazine. There is three parts to this process. The first one is the evaluation, the second one is a shoot and he said he is coming here to kansas cause he is in iowa, and the third is him sending me to chicago where the whole thing is going to happen. He has also told me that there will be 9 other girls from all across the u.s. and each step im going to get paid $1200. the evaluation is done and Im suppose to be getting a check soon. He told me that this isnt fake and that everything is going to be ok. i just need to know if this is a real thing or just a fony. And if there is any other girl that actually knows of this could you please tell me. thank you very much

Oct 04 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

strawberree_shortcake wrote:
This guy is saying he works for a fitness magazine and he wants me to be in the magazine. There is three parts to this process. The first one is the evaluation, the second one is a shoot and he said he is coming here to kansas cause he is in iowa, and the third is him sending me to chicago where the whole thing is going to happen. He has also told me that there will be 9 other girls from all across the u.s. and each step im going to get paid $1200. the evaluation is done and Im suppose to be getting a check soon. He told me that this isnt fake and that everything is going to be ok. i just need to know if this is a real thing or just a fony. And if there is any other girl that actually knows of this could you please tell me. thank you very much

Wow -- how lucky are you to be selected! What did you do -- did you enter a contest? Are you heavily involved in the fitness scene or something? The evaluation is done? What was that like?

My guess is that it's either a scam involving fake checks (sometimes called the Nigerian scam) or else he just wants to get into your pants.

Regards,
Paul

Oct 04 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

What magazeine?
Look at the photograpahers in the magazeine credits is he listed?
Go to the store and look at fitness magazeins then look in the mirror.
Of course he says the check is good, who tells you they are going to bounce a check on you?

Oct 04 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I need more details.  What have you had to do/pay so far?  What type of evidence have you seen that leads you to believe that this is legitimate?  Because right now it's sounding shady.

Oct 04 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

They'll pay you $1200 to be evaluated?

*cough* Bullshit. *cough* Bullshit. *cough*

Oct 04 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

What magazine?  What is the final thing in CHicago, when and where?

How did he get in touch with you?  By using the instant messenger IDs you have in your profile?  What is his email address and website?  If not related to the magazine itself, ya have to wonder.

Details, girl...and remove your IM IDs.

Oct 04 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tzalam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

One way or another it smell like a scam to me.
While you're a pretty girl there is nothing in your profile that make me think you're a fitness model. Maybe under your cloths there you are in incredible shape worthy of a fitness Mag but since i can't see it how could he. Did you show him something we can see on your profile?
So if you do pursue this be very careful and err on the side of caution.

So good luck and don't get scammed.

Oct 04 06 02:31 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

anything that sounds too good to be true is. plain and simple. you dont look like you have a whole lot of experience so why on earth would he pay you like 3600 dollars.

Oct 04 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Verify that the magazine is on stands, then call them to confirm that he does what he says he does, and ask him to pay you with PayPal instead of a check.

Oct 04 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

It's definitely a scam if he sends you a check, then asks to have most of it sent to another address.  The check will be counterfeit and you will be in trouble with the law and your bank.

The other possibility is that some creep is using instant messaging to hit on you and make himself sound like a bigshot.

Legitimate offers do not come from instant messaging.

Oct 04 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Legitimate offers do not come from instant messaging.

I wouldn't call that a hard and fast rule. It is suspicious, but not totally beyond possibility.

Oct 04 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

strawberree_shortcake

Hays, Kansas, US

well to answer alot of your guys questions, he contacted me through mm and wanted to know if i was interested and if i had any background on physical training and weight lifting. well i told i was in weight lifting all four years in high school and in powerlifting in three years.

Oct 06 06 02:40 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Please tell me the "evaluation" didn't involve disrobing on webcam.

Oct 06 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

I'm with Ched. I find it almost impossible to believe that someone or some corp. (even huge ones) will pay $1200 just to evaluate a model for a photo shoot or a promotion.

Run!  Run very fast! I smell a MAJOR scam!

Alan

Oct 06 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Once you go online honey, you're not in Kansas anymore....

Oct 06 06 02:48 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

do you have any other sites that he looked at with pictures of you? I find it really hard to believe that he would book you for this fitness magazine without seeing any pictures of you in underwear or a swimsuit (to prove that you in fact have the body for a fitness magazine). I'm not saying that you DON'T have the body for it, but your pictures don't show it.

I would call a scam on this one too.

Oct 06 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

:::sigh:::

Yes, it's a scam. 

I'm no authority on how things work with magazines.  Goodness knows each publication handles things a little differently.  But I do know finance and economics and I can tell you that the economics of this just doesn't add up.

They are a publication that's said they'll pay you a total sum of $3600.  That's just to get your attention.  Payment, theoretically, is compensation for time.  In that sense, why the fuck would they pay you for the evaluation?  Are you doing them a favor by being evaluated?  On the shoot, you'd be working, so it's natural that you'd be paid.  Still, $1200 is pretty steep.  Again, you aren't doing the magazine a favor by posing, they do you one by featuring you.  That has value in and of itself and certainly enough to bring down that rate.  Why would they pay you that much when they could pay you less and you still agree?  Now... this thing in Chicago when "...the whole thing is going to happen"?  I'm a little fuzzy on that.  But I can't imagine that there's anything that you could be doing to merit paying you an additional $1200. 

Either they are lying to you or they need to fire the people in their accounting and finance dept.

To put it in perspective, a very reputable local fitness magazine featured a friend of mine in one of their issues a year or so ago.  You know how much she got paid?  Nothing.  Nor did they even say they'd pay her, either.  In fact, she purchased the magazine herself when it hit the stands.

Oct 06 06 03:34 pm Link