Forums > General Industry > Craigslist Warning

Model

Jamie O

Detroit, Alabama, US

This is for any of you who live in the Detroit area. If you go on craigslist.com looking for work be careful. I have found that many of these people are posing as photographers just to get pictures of models.
DO NOT answer the add for the Tigers Playoff Party!!! I did and was set up by a scam operation this guy had going on. I was lucky enough to have the help of a caring photographer on this site who did the research and find out what I was about to get myself into. Be careful and do your research!!!

Oct 04 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

JamieLynn85 wrote:
This is for any of you who live in the Detroit area. If you go on craigslist.com looking for work be careful. I have found that many of these people are posing as photographers just to get pictures of models.

I've never heard of such a thing, guys saying they're photographers just so they can take a picture of a model. Why that is simply upsetting. We should look into that.

Oct 04 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

That's brilliant! Wish I had thought of that before I actually learned the craft.

Oct 04 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

I just came in to see what Bob Randall wrote, as I do in so many other threads. big_smile

Luv ya Bob!

Oct 04 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

I think what she means is the ad will say, "send a nude/bikini/lingerie picture of yourself to be considered for this job"

but there is no job, just a guy collecting pictures.

Oct 04 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

It's understood that the goal of a photographer is to get pictures of models, but I think Jamie was referring to their motives for doing so.

Is the photographer just looking for pictures to add to a "private collection", or is there a greater passion to create and show good images?

Oct 04 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Jamie,

I saw the line in your profile that says, "If your port is all scantily clad women, don't contact me, I know what you're after."

Then I looked at YOUR port. All I see is pictures of you scantily clad. I'm confused!

Paul

Oct 04 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Sounds like this model is trying to give a little info to anyone who wants it. That's what the forums are for. It's like people getting mad when someone posts a topic that has been discussed before. Well if a new member posts a topic that has already been discussed it's probably because they have not been on the site or in the forums. If we did not have people posting new threads we would have to deal with 10 topics on 10 threads and each one would have 50,000 posts.
I am aware of what the poster said but maybe there are a few people new to the business who are not aware

Oct 04 06 11:10 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

There are lots of picture collectors everywhere.

Does it really matter if the image is already in your portfolio?

Here in norcal Calven Meritt is the one to avoid on craigs list, although I hear he may have been perma banned...

Overall be smart look up references and undestand that there are scammers on ALL sites.

Oct 04 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

bang bang photo wrote:
Jamie,

I saw the line in your profile that says, "If your port is all scantily clad women, don't contact me, I know what you're after."

Then I looked at YOUR port. All I see is pictures of you scantily clad. I'm confused!

Paul

I would agree that such wording in one's profile is a bit confrontational and counter-productive.

Oct 04 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

JamieLynn85 wrote:
I was lucky enough to have the help of a caring photographer on this site who did the research and find out what I was about to get myself into.

Be careful and do your research!!!

Ok, first of all the caring photographer thing should be a siren going off next to your head telling you to run.

Here is the result of my extensive research. You live in a small town with limited resources. I have researched and found the perfect photographer for you. I know he doesn't want to get into your pants because he told me so in an email yesterday. He didn't mention you specifically, matter of fact I just made that part up to see if you were reading this. Go to this link and do something with this guy, he's very good and you will have fun.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=85970

Oct 04 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

rp_photo wrote:

I would agree that such wording in one's profile is a bit confrontational and counter-productive.

Actually, I have no problem with the wording whatsoever -- it's just she's sending a mixed message. There is literally only one picture in her entire portfolio in which she isn't "scantily clad," yet she says she won't work with people who have lots of scantily clad women in their portfolios. It makes my head hurt.

Oct 04 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

bang bang photo wrote:
Actually, I have no problem with the wording whatsoever -- it's just she's sending a mixed message. There is literally only one picture in her entire portfolio in which she isn't "scantily clad," yet she says she won't work with people who have lots of scantily clad women in their portfolios. It makes my head hurt.

I agree about the mixed messages. "Scantily clad" is a subjective term that means different things to different people, and can generally be defined as being dressed any bit less that what someone thinks is proper.

The "I know what you're after" statement is confrontational, and sends photographers the message that they're guilty until proven innocent.

Oct 04 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Yup.  This kind of confusion by the fairer sex is why I am no longer seeking a steady relationship. Only rolls in the hay with scantily-clad models. wink

Oct 04 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

I refused to work with Bob Randall, not only because he is frequently scantily clad, but it's rumored he has posed as a commercial advertising photographer in order to get images of objects and subsequently had the audacity to solicit money for them.

Will the shame never end?

Oct 04 06 12:10 pm Link

Model

Jamie O

Detroit, Alabama, US

Whoa, I didn't know that trying to warn other Detroit models about a bad apple would end in so much criticism. Wow, brutal.

Oct 04 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

JamieLynn85 wrote:
Whoa, I didn't know that trying to warn other Detroit models about a bad apple would end in so much criticism. Wow, brutal.

I was just teasing Bob   no offense to you or your cause    sorry for hijacking

Oct 04 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

JamieLynn85 wrote:

You'll learn in time. Continue posting here and you'll see your original thoughts and questions bastardized and corrupted. Post something nice in opinion form and you'll be crucified. Welcome to Model Mayhem.

Oct 04 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

bang bang photo wrote:
Jamie,

Paul

Bikini is NOT scantily.  Only nekkid or naughty lingerie. big_smile

Oct 04 06 12:52 pm Link

Model

Lindsey Marie

Detroit, Michigan, US

Wow...I replied to the Tigers Playoff Party and went for an interview...can you give me more information about this??? 

Thanks for the info!

Oct 04 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Gary

Redford, Michigan, US

JamieLynn85 wrote:

Well everyone is welcome to there oppinion. But u did the right thing. If anyone else has any info on this it would be appreciated.

Oct 04 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Well, remember to charge them if they don't have a portfolio.

Oct 04 06 02:06 pm Link

Model

Lindsey Marie

Detroit, Michigan, US

Does anyone have any info. on the warning about the ad the original poster was referring to??  I would greatly appreciate it.
~Lindsey

Oct 04 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

JamieLynn85 wrote:
DO NOT answer the add for the Tigers Playoff Party!!! I did and was set up by a scam operation this guy had going on. I was lucky enough to have the help of a caring photographer on this site who did the research and find out what I was about to get myself into. Be careful and do your research!!!

I'm the photographer who verified this for the model. I'm in pretty tight with media, promotions, WRIF, etc. and usually know what parties, events, etc (or can find out) are going on. When the model started a thread the other day telling about the listing and what she was asked to bring, I knew it didn't sound right for what company she said it was for.

There is an Olympia Entertainment. They own the Fox Theatre. They do the booking and operating of Joe Louis Arena, Comerica Park, Cobo Arena and City Theatre. Olympia Entertainment is owned by Detroit's "Ilitch" family and is affiliated with The Detroit Red Wings, The Detroit Tigers, Little Caesars Pizza, Blue Line Distributing, and Uptown Entertainment.

But...
there is no "Jeff" Davis, or "Amanda" Wilson . There is an Andre, Dorisha, and Wade Davis that works with Olympia. And there is a "Milly" Wilson, but no "Amanda" Wilson and no "Jeff" Davis as the President. The president's name is Randy Lippe. So, seems someone's using the last names thinking it'd easily fool people.

The model was ready to go to this meeting to meet this guy (at a restaurant of all places) and said she needed to put together a book and asked how to do that. I'm glad I saw her post and was able to help her before she possibly had gotten herself in a fucked up situation. But... You models really need to check names, company names, etc!!! Think about it... Olympia Entertainment (OWNER of the FOX Theatre) would NEVER want to meet at a restaurant! If you aren't familiar with the company names, ASK, check it out before agreeing to meet someone. And if it's supposed to be a company as big as Olympia, know they would never want to meet in such a way. And another thing stated in the listing, which Olympia would never do, was "No nudity required, but those in the adult entertainment industry feel free to apply" (or some shit like that). Olympia would not put that in a listing (or even post on craigslist). But like I said, some aren't familiar with Olympia, so CHECK IT OUT BEFORE AGREEING TO MEET SOMEONE!

If any of you models here in the Detroit area ever need to drop me some names to have verified, don't hesitate to let me know. I know many people in the right places and can get it checked out for you.

Olympia has been notified of the listing. I'm not sure what they'll do, but they might want to contact any of the models who went to meet these people.

Oct 04 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Ok, first of all the caring photographer thing should be a siren going off next to your head telling you to run.

Sirens going off about me? And why is that?

I knew something was fucked up. I knew I could find out what it was. All it took was a phone call. Didn't even have to get out of my seat. smile

Oct 04 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

To the models who've been in contact, whether it be through e-mail, or those of you who went to meet these people,

I just got a call from Robert Carr, the PR Director for Olympia/ Ilitch Holding and the Detroit Red Wings. He has an idea of who this may be. He says something similiar has happened before. The suite where the party was being held was kind of like a prostitution ring putting some of the Red Wing Players in a very compromising position (just think of the very compromising position some of you may have been in if you'd gone).

He'd like any of you who've spoke with these people to contact him.
So, send me a message and I'll give you his number.

Thanks,

Jodie

Oct 05 06 11:47 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

That happens throughout CL no matter where you are. I can say the same thing for the Denver forum nothing but people trying to get free pictures off you. 2 ways to find out is 1. Contact them asking them to see there site if no reply then FAKE 2. if they ask for you to send nudes in their posting then FAKE. They usually ALWAYS ask for nudes in the Denver area.

Oct 05 06 12:23 pm Link