Forums > General Industry > Alt photography. I need help.

Photographer

REOO Arts

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I have never shot any goth or art stuff before and a model wants me to shoot her in that sort of style. I told her that I had no clue on how to go about that, but she said that we will work on it together. Great. But what would you say defines the alt art genre and what are the key features that I need to try to keep in mind. Anything else you could tell me would be great.

Thanks
--TJ

Oct 03 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

Bump.

Oct 03 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

high contrast, crappy lighting, just do everything wrong and tell her it's alt

Oct 03 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

really? some of the stuff we looked at wasnt bad. most was shit. but a couple werent horrible and some were pretty damn nice.

Oct 03 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

REOO Arts wrote:
I have never shot any goth or art stuff before and a model wants me to shoot her in that sort of style. I told her that I had no clue on how to go about that, but she said that we will work on it together. Great. But what would you say defines the alt art genre and what are the key features that I need to try to keep in mind. Anything else you could tell me would be great.

Thanks
--TJ

That is a question that is way too broad to be answered intelligently. So I won't, but here is an answer. Stereotypically I see a lot of contrasty, dark, B/W stuff like your avatar. I would worry more about your set and wardrobe than your style. Bring your thing to a different subject matter and see what happens. Typical sets are urban, run down factories, broken stuff, graveyards, etc. Forget the flowers unless they are dead. Make up is usually extreme.

Best advice, treat it like a project and have a good idea what you would like to accomplish. If you have no idea what you want to accomplish and are worried about what other people want just have a look at suicidegirls.com and do something like that average "creative" image there.

FWIW

RB

Oct 03 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I can't decide if your avatar looks like a dinosaur or Jar Jar Binks. Jar Jar is what I initially thought it was. Funny what happens when you shrink photos down!

To answer your question, it's not 'crappy' lighting, but dramatic lighting that you're after. Also, go to the worst, most drug-infested part of town and find a motel and shoot there.

Oct 03 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

we did intend to shoot in a burned down insane asylum with that gothy type of wardrobe and what not. So just make it super high contrast. Thanks.

Oct 03 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

kind of like punk meets noir?

Oct 03 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

REOO Arts wrote:
really? some of the stuff we looked at wasnt bad. most was shit. but a couple werent horrible and some were pretty damn nice.

i might have been kidding, the stuff in your portfolio is pretty cool, shoot her like that, shadows, esp the portrait of joe meyers at the bottom of the page..

she liked your stuff, go with what you already do well

Oct 03 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

lotusphoto wrote:

i might have been kidding, the stuff in your portfolio is pretty cool, shoot her like that, shadows, esp the portrait of joe meyers at the bottom of the page..

she liked your stuff, go with what you already do well

Thanks.

Oct 03 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

REOO Arts wrote:
kind of like punk meets noir?

Yeah. Goth is... nothing soft but flesh.

Oct 03 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

-lots of harsh textures and sharp lines.
-high contrast.
-nothing soft.

by the way this really is a fantastic help. thank you guys.

Oct 03 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Shooting in the more Alternative style.
Try these photographers for some ideas.
I have tried to choose some quite varied styles
http://www.mattmiller-photography.com/
http://www.lithiumpicnic.com/index.php
http://www.drakenphotography.com/
Ravens laughter https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=3005
Ronin Garou https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=81962
Kaos Beauty Klinik  https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=15894
Distorted Retina https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=174673

Or look at the ports of these models

Saffron  https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=45564
Dominick Destruction  https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=33108
Donna Ricci https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=909
Kerosene  https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=15894
Sasha Mia  https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=29789

These are just some of the first that have come to mind there are plenty more big_smile

As for nothing soft I contest that with this models portfolio.
She carries off "soft" and goth rather well!

Gothness https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=3460

Oct 03 06 01:05 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Alt modeling is pretty broad like someone said.It doesnt have to be high contrast or poorly lit. To me the key is what the model is wearing, her makeup, her hair and what location it's shot at ( if on location). I've seen great alt work on just a plain white background too.

Oct 03 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

so soft is ok.
excellent.
and the clothes are key.

thank you.

Oct 03 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

I have been looking at the alt stuff on here. There is alot of really nice stuff.

Oct 03 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

so it seems to me that really the main thing is to be dark. not in lighting but in mood. to just keep it somber and down.

but also to stay in a noir - esk style while keeping the focus on "lifestyle" and all that it infers.

am I heading in the right direction?

Oct 03 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Is the model real?  If she understands alternative, you've got half a chance.  If it's new for both of you, it's much more likely to look stylized and stereotyped.

It's more about attitude than anything.  A technically competent mainstream photographer working with an alt model, there's a chance it will work.  It's actually harder for an experienced alt photographer to make some girl-next-door type look alt even if she wears the clothes, because she isn't going the have the body language, the expression.  If she isn't really a rebel, she isn't going to become one in the next 10 minutes.

Thus, I'm a little surprised at the emphasis on technique, because that's only 10 percent of it.

From your end, try to create something darker, moody.  You probably don't want to shoot at the beach on a sunny day, but the cemetary is a little stereotyped too.  Run-down inner city urban often works.  Indoors or out, try to get a few shadows in there, work with either darker colors (black/dark gray/red/purple) or somber black and white, don't crack jokes and make her laugh, at least not right before you ppres the shutter release.  Try to put a little intensity into it, provoke darker emotions.  Think halloween only more subtle.  Were you ever a rebel in school?  How about your friends?  Try to forget that the current batch of rebels tends to shop at corporate-owned Hot Topic, and go for that loner-rebel feel which is ageless... what todays goths are feeling is just a major variation of what the beat generation did, or late 70s/early 80s punk rockers (like me), fine-tuned for the context of a very different world.

Oct 03 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

Lost Coast Photo wrote:
Is the model real?  If she understands alternative, you've got half a chance.  If it's new for both of you, it's much more likely to look stylized and stereotyped.

It's more about attitude than anything.  A technically competent mainstream photographer working with an alt model, there's a chance it will work.  It's actually harder for an experienced alt photographer to make some girl-next-door type look alt even if she wears the clothes, because she isn't going the have the body language, the expression.  If she isn't really a rebel, she isn't going to become one in the next 10 minutes.

Thus, I'm a little surprised at the emphasis on technique, because that's only 10 percent of it.

From your end, try to create something darker, moody.  You probably don't want to shoot at the beach on a sunny day, but the cemetary is a little stereotyped too.  Run-down inner city urban often works.  Indoors or out, try to get a few shadows in there, work with either darker colors (black/dark gray/red/purple) or somber black and white, don't crack jokes and make her laugh, at least not right before you ppres the shutter release.  Try to put a little intensity into it, provoke darker emotions.  Think halloween only more subtle.  Were you ever a rebel in school?  How about your friends?  Try to forget that the current batch of rebels tends to shop at corporate-owned Hot Topic, and go for that loner-rebel feel which is ageless... what todays goths are feeling is just a major variation of what the beat generation did, or late 70s/early 80s punk rockers (like me), fine-tuned for the context of a very different world.

awesome. the rebel energy. that is perfect. exactly what i was looking for. it didnt click until you said that. but now I'm there. it isnt really about the goth thing. it is the rebel energy.
thank you.

Oct 03 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

hey everyone thank you very much.
I have to go.
Again thank you.

Oct 03 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Maynard Southern

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Hmmm...take her out in a field and hang a dead horse with a giant erectio...no wait, Witkin did that already...ummm...maybe use a gerbil instead of the horse...yeah...that's it...

Oct 03 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

Maynard Southern wrote:
Hmmm...take her out in a field and hang a dead horse with a giant erectio...no wait, Witkin did that already...ummm...maybe use a gerbil instead of the horse...yeah...that's it...

a gerbil with a giant horse erection. thats brilliant.

Oct 03 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

corachaos

Denver, Colorado, US

You could look at my site too...I do a bunch of alt models:  www.corachaos.net

Oct 03 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

corachaos wrote:
You could look at my site too...I do a bunch of alt models:  www.corachaos.net

Thank you. That is a great help.

by the way, that tail tat is too awesome for words. now i want one too. my gf will be pissed.

Oct 03 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Go look on DeviantART. Seriously- you can search "Goth" and every talented or untalented person in the world with those aesthetics puts their work there.. just look at the most popular ones:-)

Oct 04 06 07:56 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Maynard Southern wrote:

or get creative and hve her crawling out of the dead horse , i dont think suicide girls will approve that though.... smile

Oct 04 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

http://community.livejournal.com/alt_models/

http://community.livejournal.com/gothdolls/

http://community.livejournal.com/darkpinupgirls/

I like to watch those.  You get alt work that's all across the board from amazing to terrible, but it conveys a good idea on the current styling and shooting trends in the scene.

You might check out Eric Eggly too.  He didn't start out shooting alt but tried it out a while back when a model approached him about it.  The work is gorgeous and not over the top cliche goth.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=18555

Oct 04 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

So...neither you or the model are used to shooting the alt/goth genre? That might make things a bit difficult.

My two points of attention:

1) Careful detail should be paid to wardrobe and makeup...moreso than other casual experimental shoots. Even if (as you mention wanting to do an asylum shoot) the theme is to be gritty and with a tinge of dementia, you need the makeup to fall in line. It should be simple, really...have the model browse other models' images and find a facial 'look' that you both agree you want conveyed in your shots.

2) Love your shadows. Unless you're shooting for pinup or fantasy styles, you want to exude a darker energy with your images. That means paying as much attention to how the darkness is used in the shots as to how the light is used. Try thinking of the shot in reverse, as far as lighting is concerned. Picture an overblown, white palette and selectively introduced blacks and shadows to get the desired look. An asylum shot would, IMO, demand harsher shadows than normal and a slightly noisy harsh contrast.

Off the top of my head.

[EDIT: Upon inspection of your port, I realize you don't have many problems working with darker shots and shadows. Just delve deeper into that style. Your fourth image (with a selectively included forelight) and your last image both work very well. Granted, while shooting on location you'll want to capture more of the background.]

Oct 04 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

Basically my take when I try alt pic is to look at the crap photos and figure out how to do it right

Oct 04 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

also take a look at wickedtalent.com

Oct 04 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Hecates_illusion

Columbus, Ohio, US

Grrrr... Some people are such assholes. The alternative style can be very colorful. It doesn't have to be shitty black and whites. The images being "alternative" pretty much depend on your girl and her clothes. It also depends on your location. Try something fun and different. You would be surprised at how well it can turn out. I shot a alternative male model in a toy store once. I've shot them in abandoned places. She is just a person after all. Shoot her how you would anyone else.

Oct 04 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

I checked Deviant. There is alot of crap but also some pretty nice stuff.
--Thanks Miles

Eric Eggly is freaking sweet.
--Thanks Starla

I do love shadows and I will try to keep their intensity while engaging the setting.
--Thanks Nihilus

I want to try and stay inside the genre while I still keep my own sort of style but I will keep that in mind.
--Thanks hallopino

Wickedtalent.com helps.
--Thanks Curt

I think that she wants to stay to the more classic style, but thank you and I will remember that in the future.
--Thanks Hecates

Oct 04 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

CareLyn Anita wrote:
or get creative and hve her crawling out of the dead horse , i dont think suicide girls will approve that though.... smile

That would be freakin sweet.

Things to Do:

1. Buy horse
2. ...

Oct 04 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Perhaps I missed it - but it has been my limited experience that when a model has this kind of request - there are already a few specific images in her head already.

I have had quite a bit of luck in setting down with somebody and using her idea or theme - and then use that as a foundation to expand the poses or settings.

"Ok, that's a cool idea - but I can't shoot it, because we can't get that camera angle in that room - What if we change the location to a . .  . ."

VintageV

Oct 04 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

I think she does. so I will see what they are and try to work with that.

Oct 04 06 03:48 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Hecates_illusion wrote:
Grrrr... Some people are such assholes. The alternative style can be very colorful. It doesn't have to be shitty black and whites. The images being "alternative" pretty much depend on your girl and her clothes. It also depends on your location. Try something fun and different. You would be surprised at how well it can turn out. I shot a alternative male model in a toy store once. I've shot them in abandoned places. She is just a person after all. Shoot her how you would anyone else.

Thanks for saying this! 

"Alternative", or "Alt", is a broad term.  My portfolio is fairly colorful, and I'm what many would consider to be an "alt model" though I'm not a goth/punk.  Just about any branch of modeling, retro/pin-up, cosplay (aka me), etc., that isn't a part of the "mainstream" core modeling branches (fashion, casual, commercial, etc), is pretty much alternative. 

So don't believe the stereotypes.

Oct 04 06 11:10 pm Link