Forums > General Industry > Au Naturale?

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

From viewing the various ports here on MM, I have noticed that the vast majority of models and photographers have their ports filled with glitz n' glamour. I am curious to know if there are any photographers or models out there who have just basic, natural photographs of themselves without the outfits and perfect make-up. You know...au naturale?

I find beauty in all things. I try to see beauty in all people too and although I have absolutely nothing against the afore mentioned styles of work, it would be great (refreshing, even) to just see some natural photographs of people. No poses, no fancy garb, no outrageous make-up. Is being natural not beautiful?

I understand that alot of people here may think that if they didn't have the gussied up shots then no one would take a second look but don't doubt it for a second. There are those out there who just love to look at the human race just being themselves. Your every day attire, maybe even your work clothes or (like my avatar) doing something as simple as brushing your teeth or blow drying your hair.

Just curious. Everyone here from what I have seen has amazing stuff! I love browsing through all the portfolios and bios. But I have yet to find anyone who's dared to just be their every day selves. smile

Oct 02 06 10:55 pm Link

Model

Sky Above

lol...love the avi!

Half my port is filled with pics with no make up or very little...but I'm not tellin which ones!  I think the choice is all about what work the model is going after. Obviously I don't do glam work (pale white girl with little tata's not a good glam chica!) so my pics are more geared to what I do work in. But each model should work her port to what will get her work...apples and oranges I suppose.

Oct 02 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I take plenty of pictures of models who have little or no makeup. But they don't use 'em.

Oct 02 06 11:02 pm Link

Model

Teresa Lavena

Portland, Oregon, US

I have one off center head shot where all I have on is a bit of lip gloss and some mascara (nothing out of the ordinary for me). And that is pretty much what I look like every day. Most of the others have foundation, blush, eyeshadow, lipstick, and everything else a woman could cake on her face to try to alter reality. Some of the photos have some photoshop done to them, but most keep how I look generally intact.

Oct 02 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I use very little MU in my art shots.
Mike

Oct 02 06 11:12 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I would say that in at least half of my shots I am only wearing eye shadow (and I mean that, no foundation, etc.). I have a few where there is barely any eye shadow and just a little lip or blush. VERY minimal makeup.

Oct 02 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I usually don't find a need for makeup on guys.

Batnaturale.

Oct 02 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Little makeup or other affectations in my port.  No clothes either, just to warn you.

-Don

Oct 03 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Like this?

https://myspace-662.vo.llnwd.net/01190/26/63/1190623662_l.jpg

Oct 03 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I ask people working with me to use as little makeup as possible.  But then I also ask them to wear as few clothes as possible too.

Oct 03 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I never wear makeup.

https://www.blindmike.com/images/20060819/sf09_full.jpg

Oct 03 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Michael Schmitz

Los Angeles, California, US

Everyday selves don't sell. Thats why people hire models, photographers, and hair stylists. It is a business.

Oct 03 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Kevin Michael Schmitz wrote:
Everyday selves don't sell. Thats why people hire models, photographers, and hair stylists. It is a business.

Malarkey.  I love using "everyday" people in my work.  The more real the better.

Oct 03 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Mircalla wrote:
From viewing the various ports here on MM, I have noticed that the vast majority of models and photographers have their ports filled with glitz n' glamour. I am curious to know if there are any photographers or models out there who have just basic, natural photographs of themselves without the outfits and perfect make-up. You know...au naturale?

I find beauty in all things. I try to see beauty in all people too and although I have absolutely nothing against the afore mentioned styles of work, it would be great (refreshing, even) to just see some natural photographs of people. No poses, no fancy garb, no outrageous make-up. Is being natural not beautiful?

I understand that alot of people here may think that if they didn't have the gussied up shots then no one would take a second look but don't doubt it for a second. There are those out there who just love to look at the human race just being themselves. Your every day attire, maybe even your work clothes or (like my avatar) doing something as simple as brushing your teeth or blow drying your hair.

Just curious. Everyone here from what I have seen has amazing stuff! I love browsing through all the portfolios and bios. But I have yet to find anyone who's dared to just be their every day selves. smile

Check out this woman: Mayhem #179482 Fine natural beauty. Many of her photos are with little or no makeup.

Oct 03 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

*Kicks portfolio under the desk*

It's a valid point and I just sent a message to another model here at MM about this. I'm working on adding variety to my portfolio...I just did a shoot last weekend with some very nice images I'll be putting up soon.

I haven't been doing this as long and I started with a camera I simply hated. The quality of my more natural looking images just wasn't up to par in my opinion. I'm much more attuned to the camera I have now and the images are much better.

Oct 03 06 01:59 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have one... it's on the top row of my portfolio... : /

Oct 03 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Isis wrote:
I have one... it's on the top row of my portfolio... : /

The second one? I love the confident demeanor you have in front of the camera.

Oct 03 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

DAntony

Pasadena, California, US

I hear ya on that! People in general are losing touch with natualism! Theres plenty makeup, reconstructuve surgery, hair weaves, implants, lipo, elevator shoes, paddes bras, haute courtier clothes, exclusivity, retouching, resizing.... its madness! Probably 50% or more of the models are asking about wardrobe and make up? Lets do some without makeup every now and then. Use non padded, no push up bras... and get rid of the booty implants too! And for chrissakes get rid of the weird colored contacts. We need those bags and circles under the eyes, the natural droop of the breasts, that imperfect skin and ordinary clothes to know we are all living an ordinary life in a remarkable and sometimes mundane world.

Oct 03 06 02:10 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

The second one? I love the confident demeanor you have in front of the camera.

Yes, it's the second one in.  I still don't know how to post these darn images, lol.  Thank you by the way for the compliment.  smile

Oct 03 06 02:12 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I don't have one Au Natural image in my portfolio for the simple reason that I don't want one. My portfolio isn't the same as my family album and I very much don't want it to be. I have dozens of sweet shots with no makeup in pics with my family. But unless there was a specific reason (i.e. client request) there's no way I'd ever use one as advertisement. I see myself like that daily and it's pretty average tongue

Oct 03 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I ask people working with me to use as little makeup as possible.  But then I also ask them to wear as few clothes as possible too.

Exactly:-) Most of my models are wearing no makeup- indoor headshots being the usual exception. I certainly don't suggest they wear any.

Oct 03 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

I guess we're not taking Helmut Newton into consideration?

Oct 03 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

ArtMachine

Charlottesville, Virginia, US

At this point, almost nobody in my portfolio is wearing make-up. Especially not me in my self-portrait. The only photograph where make-up was involved is the one labeled Otello, and that was stage make-up since the shots are of a theatrical production.

I'm doing a bit of headshot photography for local actors right now, and my general advice to them is that I like to try to capture the most of who they really are. That way they're more likely to match their headshot when they go to audition. As such, I pretty much only recommend powder to cut down on shine or that they do their make-up the way they would on an ordinary day. I do some color adjustment in photoshop, but retouching blemishes and the like I leave to the professionals at the companies where they'll get their headshots reproduced.

Oct 03 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...au natural:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060430/12/ … 8ca602.jpg
                                      18+

...more in my MM portfolio and website.
I shoot both with a makeup artist and sans MUA.

"...And God Created Woman":

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060917/12/ … a45d0f.jpg
                                      18+

Oct 03 06 10:35 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

i hardly ever wear make-up, but doing a shoot and getting all made up is fun.

Oct 03 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
I guess we're not taking Helmut Newton into consideration?

Why would we? Personally, I hate most of his work.

Oct 03 06 11:59 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Ah, I see there are so many beautiful women (and men) here. Thanks!
As I said, I have nothing against the glam shots, naturally there will be models who are wanting just that for their line of work.

I see alot of commercials these days using women (and men) who aren't all made up to look like wax figures. It's nice, no? I mean c'mon-we don't all look radiant and perfect on a day to day basis (okay, well alot of us don't anyway tongue) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Trust me, I am no feminist but I do see natural beauty in all women and men. Doesn't matter the size, or shape or race (of course, their personality has to match in these cases or it just ruins it).

Thanks for sharing such beautiful images. smile

Oct 04 06 12:08 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Going bare can be a bit dangerous for me as I am quite fair and some times it helps to have a little blush on or some sort of defining shadows on my cheeckbones so I dont dissapear completely in bright light/sunlight.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=832571  https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=593762 where I might be made up, but it certainly isn't pretty. I'm also terrified of clowns so this shot took some extra oomph wink I kept staring at myself in the mirror while I was putting the makeup on and had to stop myself from washing it off.

I'm reluctant to go without makeup for a shoot because of the dissapearing act that can occur but I can confidently say (after facing my clown fear lol) I'm not afraid to be 'ugly' for a shoot.

Oct 04 06 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

I enjoy shooting with people who are (or are striving to become) confident of their natural beauty.

Oct 04 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

I never work with MUA's.  I always tell the model just to bring light makeup in case her skin becomes shiny under the lights.  It works very well for my style of photography as you can see from my port.

Oct 04 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

LWF

Bellingham, Washington, US

the most naturally flattering pic of all....
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=949795

Oct 04 06 09:25 am Link

Oct 04 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

Most of my work is portraiture rather than fashion or glamour.  Not much makeup there.

I always wear makeup though.  I'm girly like that.

Oct 04 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Maxim V

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Being sucker for natural beauty, I never use make-up during my shoots, other than a clear lip softener of some sort. I would never work with a model who feels inadequte/unpretty without make-up.

Oct 05 06 05:54 pm Link

Model

pie squared

Maxim wrote:
Being sucker for natural beauty, I never use make-up during my shoots, other than a clear lip softener of some sort. I would never work with a model who feels inadequte/unpretty without make-up.

i KNEW i would find maxim here....

btw i have one shot w/out make-up...CAN't WAIT TO ADD MORE!!!!!!!

Oct 05 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Very little make-up on the models in my photos. 

Mainly because I can't convince any Make-up Artist to play wif me.

::sniffle::

Oct 05 06 06:08 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I have some pics with makeup, some without, some with very minimal....

I love getting all dressed up with makeup in some pics, and some I prefer to just look natural....but isn't that what modeling is all about?

Oct 05 06 06:10 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

In the group shots, I'm not wearing much makeup and in this shot, I only have on mascara and lipgloss...

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y263/LammysSecret/pic3.jpg

Oct 05 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/papavic/DSC00108acropdesatsmall.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/papavic/DSC00057eqdesatsharpsmall.jpg

Model: Dovia MM #187437 at Angel's Gate studios, San Pedro

Oct 05 06 11:15 pm Link

Oct 05 06 11:19 pm Link