Forums > General Industry > Casting Calls- What is the best way to run them?

Photographer

Circus Parade

New York, New York, US

I'm new to MM, as well as the fashion photography world. I was wondering: what is the best, most efficient way to go about having a casting call for TFP/TFCD and test shoots. As I am looking to build my photography portfolio, I am looking to work with some models. I also have a particular look and style in mind. However, I am unsure about the best way to approach someone through the site, especially without seeming shady or creepy. If anyone, who is not shady or creepy themselves, (ha, ha) would be willing to give me advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
-G.

Oct 02 06 10:05 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Just don't act creepy, lol. Write and say you like her look (or posing ability, or whatever you actually like) and ask if she'd like to work together. Tell her what sort of shoot you have in mind.

Oct 02 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Just contact people directly.  Setting up an actual casting call is unlikely to get you any response until your work is just phenominal and even then, it's unlikely to get the types of responses you want anyway.

Just browse and then ask people who are also just starting out if they want to work with you and go from there.

Andy

Oct 02 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

When I wrote my casting call, I really had nothing to show for it. I just wrote very creatively so that the models could read it intuitively - like a story which everyone wanted to become a character.  The funny part is, I didn't write anything about the nature of the shoot. The casting call resulted in about 40 responses. Of course, my approach won't work for most photographers.

One thing I do highly recommend, whatever your approach may be, is to carefully set expectations.

One model loved my photos, but got turned off when I told her I had 9 months of experience and I shot all my photos in my bedroom (yes, even the outdoor ones were actually shot in my bedroom). But it's better that she found out in an email than the day of the shoot.

My profile still has a link to my casting call if you're curious.

Oct 02 06 11:25 pm Link