Forums > General Industry > A little bit mad!!!

Model

Mirabela

Durham, North Carolina, US

I got a question for all u? Yesturday i had my first photoshoot...i went to the studio and he don't even organize and he forgot about the appoiment!!!After the work was done i took a look at the pict and they were really bad even my brother was beter than him and he is only 10.When we talk the fist time the rate was one amout and when we finish shooting he ask me $150 plus $50 dollars in h i paid $250 and i can't even put those pict online can some one tell me how i can organize a good photographer?

Oct 02 06 09:54 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Did you look at his stuff before you shot with him?

Oct 02 06 09:59 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

e-string wrote:
Did you look at his stuff before you shot with him?

yes i did and they were gorgeous and i don't really know what happen and i think there's only two explonation A) Those pict are not his B) he was not in a good shape

Oct 02 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Click the Browse tab and search for photographers in your area, see who has great pictures, then contact them and ask if they'll work with you.

Oct 02 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

e-string

That's pretty odd. You should be able to get TFP with plenty of photographers.

Oct 02 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Ched wrote:
Click the Browse tab and search for photographers in your area, see who has great pictures, then contact them and ask if they'll work with you.

i already did and tomorrow i have another one and hopefully i across my finghers!!!

Oct 02 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Oh yuck...

That is horrrid, was this in a profesional studio?
buisness licence?
cards?
website?
buisness number?
did he act like a profesional abit a bit absent minded?

Heck I'll prob be in greensborro NC during X-mas and if you PM me I may be able to help you out...

Iona Lynn

Oct 02 06 10:07 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mirabela check your messages

Model

Mirabela

e-string wrote:
That's pretty odd. You should be able to get TFP with plenty of photographers.

When we first talk he say that the rate is not gonna be high and he have years of experience and looking at his pict they look great!!

Model

Mirabela

Iona Lynn wrote:
Oh yuck...

buisness licence?
cards?
website?
buisness number?

Heck I'll prob be in greensborro NC during X-mas and if you PM me I may be able to help you out...

Iona Lynn

thanx i will be alway here in nc for now until i can get a nice shoot!!!

Oct 02 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

What was bad about them? Maybe you were looking at raw images shot for an effect. Did he say he would retouch them?

Oct 02 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

How was the shoot run???
did he use hot lights?
strobes?
natural light?
backdrops?

Oct 02 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

e-string

Mirabela wrote:
When we first talk he say that the rate is not gonna be high and he have years of experience and looking at his pict they look great!!

I'd say maybe he was having an off day for some reason, but you shouldn't have paid any rate you didn't initially agree to pay. What a dick.

Oct 02 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Ched wrote:
What was bad about them? Maybe you were looking at raw images shot for an effect. Did he say he would retouch them?

the bad about them was that he don't tell me when is gonna shoot and in most of the pict my eye are close !!!

Oct 02 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

This is really unfortunate. You're doing the right thing in trying to get quality photographs for your portfolio and it sucks that you had to waste your money with this photographer. Are all the images bad? Are any of them salvageable? Maybe you can use at least a couple from the shoot, at least then you'll get value for your money.

You certainly have my sympathies! Good luck to you!

-Pat-

Oct 02 06 10:12 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Iona Lynn wrote:
How was the shoot run???
did he use hot lights?
strobes?
natural light?
backdrops?

was a natural light we went to jordan lake and the most funny part is that i don't have yet rhe pict and i can't talk to him is 2 day when i'm tring to get in touch with him but no answere!

Oct 02 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

e-string wrote:

I'd say maybe he was having an off day for some reason, but you shouldn't have paid any rate you didn't initially agree to pay. What a dick.

Agreed. I'd be interested in hearing the photographers side to this, though. Personally, I wouldn't raise the rate I quoted after the photo session. I tell a client my hourly rate, and from there it's fairly simple to know what it's going to cost. I don't like "hidden" costs, and I certainly don't like misleading a client. If for some reason the price quote was wrong I'm much more inclined to eat it than to charge the client more than they were expecting.

Anyway, we don't know the whole story so it may be best to let this one go. In any event, I do wish the OP the best. I feel bad she got bad photos -- Perhaps the photographer would be willing to schedule a reshoot for her.

-P-

Oct 02 06 10:16 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Pat Thielen wrote:
This is really unfortunate. You're doing the right thing in trying to get quality photographs for your portfolio and it sucks that you had to waste your money with this photographer. Are all the images bad? Are any of them salvageable? Maybe you can use at least a couple from the shoot, at least then you'll get value for your money.

You certainly have my sympathies! Good luck to you!

-Pat-

the pict like i say i don't have it yet and i can't talk to him he say that he' s gonna sent it on my email and after put them on a cd and send it to my house!!!

Oct 02 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Pat Thielen wrote:

Agreed. I'd be interested in hearing the photographers side to this, though. Personally, I wouldn't raise the rate I quoted after the photo session. I tell a client my hourly rate, and from there it's fairly simple to know what it's going to cost. I don't like "hidden" costs, and I certainly don't like misleading a client. If for some reason the price quote was wrong I'm much more inclined to eat it than to charge the client more than they were expecting.

Anyway, we don't know the whole story so it may be best to let this one go. In any event, I do wish the OP the best. I feel bad she got bad photos -- Perhaps the photographer would be willing to schedule a reshoot for her.

-P-

yesturday i was mad i thought that i want to punch him but now i'm getting relax i just mad for how much money i spend for no reason!!!But is ok tomorrow i have another photographer that is gonna help me with my port and the good thing is that he is a good friend of mine so i'm sure that he is good!!Hopefully!!!!!!!

Oct 02 06 10:20 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Mirabela wrote:

was a natural light we went to jordan lake and the most funny part is that i don't have yet rhe pict and i can't talk to him is 2 day when i'm tring to get in touch with him but no answere!

There are some REALLY good natural light photographers out there, and there are a TON of hacks who say they "prefer" natural light because they don't want to shell out the money required to shoot in any other way, or because they lack the technical ability to control lighting. If someone wants you to pay them to shoot natural light, you should triple check their work and references to make sure you will get your money's worth.

Oct 02 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:

There are some REALLY good natural light photographers out there, and there are a TON of hacks who say they "prefer" natural light because they don't want to shell out the money required to shoot in any other way, or because they lack the technical ability to control lighting. If someone wants you to pay them to shoot natural light, you should triple check their work and references to make sure you will get your money's worth.

this is a really good advise!!!i'm gonna be more careful after this experience!!!

Oct 02 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Mirabela wrote:

yesturday i was mad i thought that i want to punch him but now i'm getting relax i just mad for how much money i spend for no reason!!!But is ok tomorrow i have another photographer that is gonna help me with my port and the good thing is that he is a good friend of mine so i'm sure that he is good!!Hopefully!!!!!!!

After all this if I lived close to you I'd do a TFCD shoot with you. Seriously. Again, I wish you the best!

-P-

Oct 02 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

I shoot primarily in available light and I think I do good enough...

Oct 02 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Wow that's terrible. Honey I live in NC and know several photographers..I work for one! So let me know if you want to come down and shoot.I even have wardrobe you can wear wink

Oct 02 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Any chance poor communication was a factor?

Oct 02 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
Any chance poor communication was a factor?

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering this as well. Still, I don't think she'd be as upset about the money if she had received photos she was happy with.

-P-

Oct 02 06 10:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

inese

Los Angeles, California, US

Now first of all Mirabella $ 250.00 is very very cheap that's why he has a bad quality. Someone who has years of expirience does not charge this little.To develop a good WORKING portfolio you will have to spend somewhere around $1000.00 to 1200.00 at least this is including MUA,Finished Prints,Portfolio Book.To be a model is not cheap and your portfolio should be flawless.Call local modeling agencies and ask for a list of local photographers. Meet with them look at their work and see how many people are working from their pictures.If there is no evidence of anyone working from their pictures move on.Again listen to advice of others only if you want be where they are. If you want to work as a model listen to working models.Again you pay for a portfolio only if you serious about modeling and want to make money if it just for fun and play than don't.

Oct 02 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Pat Thielen wrote:

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering this as well. Still, I don't think she'd be as upset about the money if she had received photos she was happy with.

-P-

yea i dont really care about the money i just was happy if i will have my pict!!!

Oct 02 06 10:56 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

inese wrote:
Now first of all Mirabella $ 250.00 is very very cheap that's why he has a bad quality. Someone who has years of expirience does not charge this little.To develop a good WORKING portfolio you will have to spend somewhere around $1000.00 to 1200.00 at least this is including MUA,Finished Prints,Portfolio Book.To be a model is not cheap and your portfolio should be flawless.Call local modeling agencies and ask for a list of local photographers. Meet with them look at their work and see how many people are working from their pictures.If there is no evidence of anyone working from their pictures move on.Again listen to advice of others only if you want be where they are. If you want to work as a model listen to working models.Again you pay for a portfolio only if you serious about modeling and want to make money if it just for fun and play than don't.

he take just simple pict he don't print anything or something like that!!What i was trying with him was a test to see if i'm confident with the camera or not!!and if i can be a model or not and if i will see that i'm good at so thani will spend the money but i need to be sure that i can do this!!

Oct 02 06 11:02 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

DeathbyNew-Wave wrote:
Wow that's terrible. Honey I live in NC and know several photographers..I work for one! So let me know if you want to come down and shoot.I even have wardrobe you can wear wink

yes if u can give me the direction!

Oct 02 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Oh yuck...

buisness licence?
cards?
website?
buisness number?

Iona Lynn

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/4/6/2/0/4620/1182884-large.jpg

photo taken in my dinning doom after the 2 places that i scouted a couple of days befor where unusable i just got my new camera and the hole time i looked like a bubbling moron i am happy with the way it came out

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/8/2/6/826/211589-large.jpg

shot using window light my blanket as background she is standing on my couch met her 10 min before i photoed her no planning what so ever was one of my favorite places to photo people

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/3/2/2/0/3220/824376-large.jpg

window light in old building also one of my favorite places to photo people

i usly do not plan shoots i just pick places that have good lighting what seems disorganized to some is not to me just wonted to point that out

Oct 02 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

More cowbell!

Oct 02 06 11:22 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

nathan combs wrote:

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/4/6/2/0/4620/1182884-large.jpg

photo taken in my dinning doom after the 2 places that i scouted a couple of days befor where unusable i just got my new camera and the hole time i looked like a bubbling moron i am happy with the way it came out

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/8/2/6/826/211589-large.jpg

shot using window light my blanket as background she is standing on my couch met her 10 min before i photoed her no planning what so ever was one of my favorite places to photo people

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/3/2/2/0/3220/824376-large.jpg

window light in old building also one of my favorite places to photo people

i usly do not plan shoots i just pick places that have good lighting what seems disorganized to some is not to me just wonted to point that out

THOSE PICT ARE NICE!!!THAT WHAT HE MAKE WERE BAD!!

Oct 02 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Ched wrote:
More cowbell!

big_smile

Oct 02 06 11:45 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Nathan my refrence to his being absent minded had to do with the fact that OP said he forgot his apointment with her..

I was just trying to get more information on how the shoot went and how he worked.

I agree with you in that a great photographer can find good lighting in most places as long as he/she knows what good lighting is.

She said his portfolio was great so great she thought that his images might have been fake, if he had a full portfolio of studio shots and then just took her outdoors and shot her at noon with her face in shadow it would support the stolen images theory. I was just trying to learn more about the whole situation.

Oct 02 06 11:57 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Nevermind

Oct 02 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

nathan combs wrote:

same here

Oct 03 06 12:06 am Link

Model

Mirabela

Iona Lynn wrote:
Nathan my refrence to his being absent minded had to do with the fact that OP said he forgot his apointment with her..

I was just trying to get more information on how the shoot went and how he worked.

I agree with you in that a great photographer can find good lighting in most places as long as he/she knows what good lighting is.

She said his portfolio was great so great she thought that his images might have been fake, if he had a full portfolio of studio shots and then just took her outdoors and shot her at noon with her face in shadow it would support the stolen images theory. I was just trying to learn more about the whole situation.

Ok this is what happen I was on myspace and this guy send me a comment and say that he like my eyes and he will like to take some shoot of me i look at his pict and thay were really nice, really creative. So i tell him how much is the rate and he say that is not gonna be a lot expensive!!!What i was lookinf for was only some shoot about me to see how i feel with the camera and if can have a in half good expression in the pict!!When he show it to me In most of them i had my eyes close because he never told me when he's gonna take the pict!!!!We were at jordan lake and was a really sunny day!!!!And when i ask him how much i have to give to him he say that is $150 for the first pic and 50$/h we shoot for 2 h so i write the check and he say that he's gonna send me the pict on my electronic email and later on my mail!!!And today i try to talk to him all day and sent him messages but i still don't have any clue!!!

Oct 03 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

You conducted a buisness transaction via Myspace?
No price quote?
No other means of proof of buisness?

wow!!

I have a beautiful piece of the golden gate bridge I'll sell you you when I get down to NC this year...

Oct 03 06 12:18 am Link

Model

Mirabela

Iona Lynn wrote:
You conducted a buisness transaction via Myspace?
No price quote?
No other means of proof of buisness?

wow!!

I have a beautiful piece of the golden gate bridge I'll sell you you when I get down to NC this year...

Lol
I look at the agency where he told me he work and i look at his work and i thought that he was good!!!But today when i call the agency that guy name never worked there!!!I know i was immature but i learned already but now is too late!!!!

Oct 03 06 12:21 am Link