Forums > General Industry > Location, Location, Location

Photographer

MichaelO Digital Artist

Clovis, California, US

When it comes to locations I prefer the kind of place that's secluded and non-public.  I also don't want to practice 'gorrilla' shooting so I must ask permission from owners to shoot on their property.  That leaves the question, 'what do I do about liability?'

Should the model and I sign an agreement that says, 'if we get hurt we won't sue?'
If you are a model would you sign one?
If the owner doesn't bring it up, should I?

I know that I would sign it if I had to.

Oct 02 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Well I think it depends on where you're shooting on someones property. I mean, are your models climbing tall trees? I could see liability coming into question there. But if you're just shooting for the purpose of great scenery then I don't think a liability would be a question. However, if you're in doubt-go with your gut instinct.

Oct 02 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

mustoPHOTO

TOBYHANNA, Pennsylvania, US

I personally think it would be disrespectful not to ask the owner about it simply because he's allowing you to use his property so you, if he doesn't, should make the approach about the situation. The same should go for the model with if he/she were to get hurt on the property. I always thought sueing for things like that were so ridiculous though so maybe my opinion is a little bias...just my thought on the matter.

Oct 02 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I usually demand that the model sign an agreement saying that if one of us gets killed the other person has to eat the first person to go, then throw themself off a cliff or a fire hydrant or something.

I'm Batman.

Oct 02 06 09:42 pm Link