Forums > General Industry > Politeness?

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

So here's a question for all of you photogaphers out there:

How do you politely tell an aspiring model that she is just...dull, without being rude or offensive?
Honest opinions please.

Oct 02 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Mircalla wrote:

How do you politely tell an aspiring model that she is just...dull, without being rude or offensive?
Honest opinions please.

That's easy... I don't; she'll figure things out in time.  It would never occur to me to hurt her feelings like that.

Oct 02 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Understandable. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but as a photographer I think you're in a position to be honest with your subject. I understand not telling her "hey, you suck" because in all honesty-she's quite beautiful in that natural sort of way. But I have always thought a model should really be into what she's doing and have a little flexibility. With her being an aspiring model, she will need to learn that you have to possess a certain quality that will make you admirable and wanted by the industry.
As it might be cruel to say something, I would think it would be more cruel to not.

When I modeled, I had a few photographers tell me that I needed to open up, look like I was having fun and not be too stiff in front of the camera. Had they not told me this, I would have continued to waste not only their time but mine as well.

Oct 02 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Fannie Dweebowitz

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

i wouldnt want to hurt anyones feelings,
but a model got snippy with me tonite in an email,
and if i was a c**t -
i would have told her the REAL reason the test turned out terrible,
because she is simply unattractive.
its astonishing to me that these girls think they should be modeling.

Oct 02 06 09:02 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Well I think at some point a high percentage of girls want to be a model or actress or something of that nature. In all honesty-I think sometimes people need to be toned down a notch. Especially if they're getting snippy and blaming you when you know the real reason. wink

Oct 02 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Mircalla wrote:

Honest opinions please.

"Your look is too commercial. I'm Batman."

Oct 02 06 09:16 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Hey, now see? That's all I wanted. Thanks, Batman! wink

Oct 02 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Mircalla wrote:

Honest opinions please.

Dull for what? Dull for Scavullo or Dull for Joel-Peter Witkin. Point being, anyone can model for anything and there are photographers who will desire it.

Oct 02 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I normally say something so ridiculously offensive that it's funny.  That seems to get the point across without me having to mince words.

Oct 02 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

I choose not to say anything specific either because, quite honestly, just because I find someone dull doesn't mean the next photographer will.  An old friend of mine was doing some editorial fashion work for a magazine.  He picked the oddest looking models, the women were very masculine and the men almost weird looking.  That was my opinion of the people he picked for the project.  After seeing what he did with them, he was right to pick the models he did.  He loved the looks that were "off" and unusual.  My idea of beauty will be different than the next persons.  What aspiring models have to realize most is that they have size and height guidelines for a reason.  If you are 5'2" and size 10 you are not going to get fashion work.  That doesn't mean you won't model, it just means you aren't going to be in a GAP ad.

Oct 02 06 09:24 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Yes, this is true. But if she wants me to do the photographs that she asked for then she needs to assist me in making it work. I am a photographer not a damned miracle worker. (I leave that for the Gods!) *snicker*

Oct 02 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

DarkPhotographyDesigns

Germantown, Maryland, US

Only happeded to me once (with a first time model). I tried to be positive but make critisms at the same time. I find th best way is to do the give a positive, then a negative.

"This look is nice, but you always look a little to serious. Lets see if you can losen up a little."

"That's really not working out. You really had it when you were..."

Stuff like that. I figure someoe who a) likes the attention being in front of a camera and b) earns a living off his/her looks wil not respond to negative critism. Always best to stay positive.

Oct 02 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

DarkPhotographyDesigns

Germantown, Maryland, US

Mircalla wrote:
Yes, this is true. But if she wants me to do the photographs that she asked for then she needs to assist me in making it work. I am a photographer not a damned miracle worker. (I leave that for the Gods!) *snicker*

I agree. I dont expect the models to just show up and have the exact look I want. Even the best actors on the planet still need coaching and instruction from the Director.

Oct 02 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Mircalla wrote:
Understandable. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but as a photographer I think you're in a position to be honest with your subject. I understand not telling her "hey, you suck" because in all honesty-she's quite beautiful in that natural sort of way. But I have always thought a model should really be into what she's doing and have a little flexibility. With her being an aspiring model, she will need to learn that you have to possess a certain quality that will make you admirable and wanted by the industry.
As it might be cruel to say something, I would think it would be more cruel to not.

When I modeled, I had a few photographers tell me that I needed to open up, look like I was having fun and not be too stiff in front of the camera. Had they not told me this, I would have continued to waste not only their time but mine as well.

Well one of the ways would not to do any serious portfolio work for hire for her/him.  If she/he pressed me I would tell them why.  Now if she is just doing some modeling for fun or a little $$$ and I was working with her, of course I would direct her, make suggestions etc to get her to model better...  and the other way of course is not to call her back (assuming I met her/him in an interview situation).

Oct 02 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

sweet_texan

Mesquite, Texas, US

I would just rather be told the truth. If i aint got it them i aint got it i will move on, i hate to be told or not told i am something that i am not. I beleive that honesty is the best policy. Man this one makes me think how many people were just being nice to me to avoid the truth...yikes..

Oct 02 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Hand them the card of another photographer?

Oct 03 06 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Mircalla wrote:
How do you [photographers] politely tell an aspiring model that she is just...dull, without being rude or offensive?

try thinking of it from the other side; how would i accept hearing a model tell me [insert potentially negative comment here]:

e.g., "Frank, I'm sorry but your work isn't quite what I was after at this time; perhaps sometime in the future? ... but thank you for your interest in working with me!"

just an idea,
FML

Oct 03 06 05:35 am Link