Oct 02 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Oct 02 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I feel so much safer... I'm so happy Homeland Security is on the case! Woohoo!

Oct 02 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Absolute Imaging Inc

Torrance, California, US

Since you brought up the topic, I thought I'd share a story about a good friend of mine, and very talented photog, who is in the middle of a civil rights law suit against the city.  It's a long story, but quite interesting.  Nice shot of the refinery too. smile

http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotogra … phers.html

Kelli

Oct 02 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

I was out shooting the D.C. Cherry Blossoms with my daughter last April when a National Park Police officer stopped me and told me I had to have a permit to take pictures of the National Monuments (Jefferson, Lincoln, etc.)

Now, there were easily a thousand people out there that day, all with cameras.  So why me?

Professional photographers require a permit I was told!  It had to do with "anti-terrorism."

I told them I wasn't a professional.  So they let me shoot.

Oct 02 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

DFWlens wrote:
http://www.gregpalast.com/palast-charged-with-journalism-in-the-first-degree

There are a few problems with this article and his story.  First off, you should never rely on liberal websites for accurate reporting.  Here are the details....The man in question was never arrested by any law enforcement and he certainly isnt being charged under the patriot act.  If he was it would be a matter of public information. He was detained for a short time by local police and security personel from the refinery because apparently he was trespasing.  It plays into his hand perfectly to be a victim of Bush and the Patriot Act but unfortunatley it isnt remotely true.  Once again, if you are interested in this jokester then try a more reputable news service to get the FACTS, not the lies.

Oct 02 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

cjsphoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kinetic Photography wrote:
There are a few problems with this article and his story.  First off, you should never rely on liberal websites for accurate reporting.  Here are the details....The man in question was never arrested by any law enforcement and he certainly isnt being charged under the patriot act.  If he was it would be a matter of public information. He was detained for a short time by local police and security personel from the refinery because apparently he was trespasing.  It plays into his hand perfectly to be a victim of Bush and the Patriot Act but unfortunatley it isnt remotely true.  Once again, if you are interested in this jokester then try a more reputable news service to get the FACTS, not the lies.

First off, where do you get off saying you should never rely on "liberal" websites?  Republican news is more accurate?  Any news with a party slant is wrong.  Unfortunately, you can't get unbiased news these days.  Oh, sorry, there's Fox News.

Second, your comments say what happened is not public record, and then you proceed to explain what happened.  You didn't get your information from the article, because that's not what he said and you dismiss it as inaccurate and liberal anyways.  It's not being reported on your reputable news services.  You're a photographer, and not a lawyer, reporter, government worker, oil exective, federal agent or law enforcement agent.  You definitely aren't Mr. Palast's friend.  Where did you get YOUR information on this subject?

I don't really care for the article or reporting, I mean, he is quite biased, but so are you.  The difference is Mr. Palast is commenting on something that happened to him, and you're speculating on what you think happened based on your own imagination.

Oct 02 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Kinetic Photography wrote:

Like a bunch of paranoid fascist oligarchists, slavishly devoted to "The Big Lie" and bankrolled and owned body and soul by the same corporate interests that devoted millions of dollars to buy the election for their candidate, can be trusted to tell the Truth. Fox's "Fair and Balanced" is classic New Speak.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" ~ Ben Franklin ~

Oct 02 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

DFWlens

Dallas, Texas, US

My apologies....a few days ago there was a pdf link to the official complaint.... The conduct cited in it by the government had nothing to do with trespassing, it was unlawful/unauthorized photography of critical infrastructure. Its not there anymore, surely it wasnt a hoax!?!

That pdf was the only thing that made me think there was something more than hype....  like the MM threads "Cops shoot man because of brown skin" and "Cops on the rampage"

And the followup, the charges were dropped-

http://www.gregpalast.com/reporter-pala … -security.

I wish there was an Exxon Refinery around here to photograph!

Oct 03 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Well....I've never had the chance to photograph oil refinerys....but I do photograph buildings for a large international company. I've received emails with instructions to stay away from airports, railroad facilities and federal government buildings. They all fall under somekind of rules put forth by the Homeland Security department.

So I imagine anything considered "vital infrastructure" will get some kind of response from the feds. Of course I'm not sure what "vital infrastructure" is. It seems to change everytime I see the news.

Oct 03 06 07:34 am Link