Forums > General Industry > If you are a student do you need a permit

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I have a quick question. I am a photography student (have student id card) and wanted to now if I still need a permit to shoot at a beach or on the strip in Las Vegas? I always work alone so there is never a group.....ususally just me and the model and my equipment is limited to a camera and tripod.
I have heard that if I am a student I do not need a permit....I have also heard I do need one (will probably hear both here too....lol)

Oct 02 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Thomas B wrote:
I have a quick question. I am a photography student (have student id card) and wanted to now if I still need a permit to shoot at a beach or on the strip in Las Vegas? I always work alone so there is never a group.....ususally just me and the model and my equipment is limited to a camera and tripod.
I have heard that if I am a student I do not need a permit....I have also heard I do need one (will probably hear both here too....lol)

Not sure about LA -- but I think yes you do. Definitely need one for the beach. Lots of people choose to shoot without one and get away with it. I did a few shoots sans permit before I met a ranger -- he separated me and my model, and interrogated us for full 20 minutes with his hand on his gun the whole time. Welcome to Amerika. It ended well, but the guy threatened us with a $250 fine each.

http://www.film.ca.gov/state/film/film_homepage.jsp

Look in the top part of the page for a link to "online permit application."

Regards,
Paul

Oct 02 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

It is my understanding that in 99.9 percent of all municipalies around the country that if a permit is required, it doesn't matter if you are a pro or a student, paid assignment or unpaid assignment.  The permit is to photograph there.... not to make money photographing there.

Oct 02 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

so I checked out filim permits in Ca and it says you need to be covered by $1,000,000 in insurance. How the hell can a student afford 1,000,000 in insurance? I am assuming most of the people from this site just go and shoot and leave if asked to leave right? Or are all of you carrying a million in insurance?

Oct 02 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Thomas B wrote:
so I checked out filim permits in Ca and it says you need to be covered by $1,000,000 in insurance. How the hell can a student afford 1,000,000 in insurance? I am assuming most of the people from this site just go and shoot and leave if asked to leave right? Or are all of you carrying a million in insurance?

It actually isn't that expensive. If you join one of the professional organizations like ASMP, PP of A, etc. -- they typically have a plan that includes the necessary coverage, from a company that knows how to prepare the proof of coverage documentation required by most locations.

Hill and Usher is well-known company offering the insurance too.

Insurance is just like a gun -- you don't need it at all -- until you need it REALLY bad. It's amazing what can go wrong on a photo shoot, and insurance can be really helpful if it does.

The problem with the "shoot until asked to leave" approach is that sometimes you are ticketed instead of being asked to leave. It can get expensive, not to mention embarassing to your client, who now thinks you're a dick for getting him or her arrested. And I think states, counties and municipalities and even venues are getting smarter about this stuff, and they're slowly clamping down harder and harder. For anything commercial, I always get a permit these days. For personal and portfolio work, well. . . let's just say I manage my expenses carefully. . . .

Cheers,
Paul

Oct 02 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

PERMITS???
Wow.. you poor guys. I suddenly feel very lucky I live in the Great White North, where you drive outside of town, park your car, walk into the wilds or the nude beach and do whatever the hell you want:-)
Seriously, what an absurd idea.. on private property, sure, but the beach?? I believe it, I'm just appalled.

Oct 02 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

My official answer is if you can get a permit, its better to have it than not have it.

My practical answer is, use your good judgement & don't do anything to risque. Most of the times that I've been stopped (6 times total in who knows how many shoots), the cops are just trying to do their job & want to know what you're up to. Be nice; be cooperative; don't be afraid to throw in "its for a school project" (you'd be surprised how disarming that phrase is); play dumb if necessary; & if they tell you to leave, seriously consider doing so...unless you've studied the applicable regulations & know the cops are just trying to make a stink to make themselves look good for their superiors (a lot of times that can be the case w/ these country part-timers).

Where things might get a little thornier for you is if some uppidity person spots your model while changing & then reports it. So just be careful on that end.

For shooting on the LV strip? Uh...I'm not sure. On the one hand that place is REALLY liberal, sorta like NYC in that respect. But on the otherhand, everyone is all hyperprotective about National Security that you can't even do a photostudy of the Brooklyn Bridge w/o the boys in blue initially thinking you're some sort of terrorist scout.

Oct 02 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

one thing to note is that you can shoot from a public sidewalk, but you can't use a tripod. My suggestion is find a nice parking garage with a rooftop parking area and shoot from there,

Star

Oct 02 06 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Thomas

I'm in the same boat as you. Here's what I do. Tell the model that if anyone asks, it's a student art-photography project. Always carry your student and photo IDs. When any authorities show up, be nice, show your IDs and tell them it's a student art-photography project. Throwing in the word "art" will further lower the situation into "damn screwball" status and gets rid of the "commercial" aspect. That's kinda a big part of it is convincing them that you're just a nut and not trying to make a dime off of someone else's property.

I've been asked to leave plenty and had cops show up, etc, but never had a beef beyond being told that next time I have to get permisson, hit the road , etc.

Obviously, this doesn't work in highly questionable areas like inside hotel lobbies or areas that are very obviously private.

By the way, this is not legal advice.

Oct 02 06 11:39 am Link