Forums > General Industry > Dancers make the best models right?

Model

FaithK

Cathedral City, California, US

I am a dancer and I have been really interested in modeling for dance magazines. Does anyone know how I should go about trying to do that.. does anyone know someone in that area?  I was thinking about just calling the magazine and asking for someone in editing?... but i wasn't sure if that's a good idea. Any advice would be splendid thank you bunches!

Oct 01 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In response to all three of your threads, go ahead and start calling, not just the dance magazines but the photographers that shoot for them.  The worst that can happen is they say go away.  In response to this thread's topic line, no, dancers don't necessarily make the best models, unless they're modelling for dance shots.

Oct 01 06 09:15 pm Link

Model

FaithK

ah.. well thanks for your advice

Oct 01 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

No, models make the best models. The two skillsets, while there is a great deal of overlap in some fields, are not the same. Between a model who knows how to dance and one who doesn't, I'd be inclined to try the model who does first, but I'll take a really good model over a dancer who likes to have her picture taken.

M

Oct 01 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Dancers make great models, as long as they can model.  Models make great dancers, as long as they can dance.

Oct 01 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Cedric Carter

Baltimore, Maryland, US

First, get some really professional pictures, about 20 to 30.  Next,go and do the calling around that you mentioned.  By the way, this picture of mine was shot with two dancers who were not models.  Thus, dancers can do things that models can't AND models can do things that dancers can't.

Oct 01 06 09:38 pm Link

Model

FaithK

thanks you guys.. but i wasn't stating a well known fact. I have just heard some photographers say that. Don't fret. That's not what i am asking anyways...

Oct 01 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

The dancers/photographers I know that have been published in dance magazeins were not models they were dancers who were part of a dance troupe/dance career and they were photographed by being dancers not by being models....

Oct 01 06 09:43 pm Link

Model

FaithK

thanks that's good to know... that's why i asked

Oct 01 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

FaithK

good thing i'm a dancer then.................

Oct 01 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I like working with dancers for a number of reasons, but the muscles in their legs get very thick, which can be bad in a photo. Dancers make good beginning models because they bring something to the table besides good looks.

Oct 01 06 09:47 pm Link

Model

FaithK

very true...thanks

Oct 01 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
The dancers/photographers I know that have been published in dance magazeins were not models they were dancers who were part of a dance troupe/dance career and they were photographed by being dancers not by being models....

That is VERY true. Sometimes in the ad or on the photo you'll see the dancers name and what professional dance team or ballet company he or she is with.

Oct 01 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I beg to differ on the almost negative opinion given here on dancers. I have photographed many dancers.  Dancers, particularly good ones, have an extraordinary relationship with their body and how it occupies space. You can surround a dancer with lights that are near and the dancer will instinctively know how far they are and their relation to their outstretched limbs. I have told many a dancer to have a rest during a portrait session and after that rest they will return to the exact (and unmarked spot) there were occupying. More startling as I look through my camera I need not re-focus. Just about anything a human can do a good dancer can do with more grace and poise.

Given my opportunity (and this, thank God, happens often) I would rather shoot a dancer than a model. But then as a magazine photographer I rarely shoot models.

Alexwh

https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/people/09.jpg
https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/illustration/09.jpg
https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/illustration/16.jpg
https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/illustration/17.jpg
https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/illustration/20.jpg
https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/illustration/38.jpg
https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/illustration/43.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/FarleyJohanssforMM-1.jpg

Oct 01 06 11:20 pm Link

Model

FaithK

Very good point.. that's what i was trying to portray.. that dancers are graceful and understand the placement of their body just a little better than models. But dancers and models go hand in hand.. they are both really talented.. one is not better than the other. One expresses themselves through photos, and one through movement. Thanks for your message

Oct 01 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

FaithK wrote:
Very good point.. that's what i was trying to portray.. that dancers are graceful and understand the placement of their body just a little better than models. But dancers and models go hand in hand.. they are both really talented.. one is not better than the other. One expresses themselves through photos, and one through movement. Thanks for your message

Very good dancers, from very good dance companies (be they classical ballet or moder dance) by necessity must pose for photographers so that the shows can be advertised in the media. This means that dancers can not only dance but they must also be very good models. Because so many (even the good dance companies) dancers dance on very low budgets the dancers that I have the pleasure of having in my studio happen to be pretty good at applying their own makeup.

And while I am not going to state this too loudly here, dancers are so confident of their bodies that nudity, in most cases is not only not important but they will volunteer even when not asked. It is very easy to photograph  dancers when these "limits" are not an issue.

Just like all models who say they are models are sometimes not models, not all dancers who say they are dancers, are indeed dancers. But if you are lucky to photograph a good dancer, you can be sure that he or she will be a good model.

My now 9 year old granddaughter started ballet at 5. Here she is and she has poise in spades.
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060604/20/448389dacea69_m.jpg
Alexwh

Oct 01 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Faith,

Most of the models on the covers of the dance magazines, ads for shoes such as Capezio, costumes or tutus like Primadonna, aren't models.  Generally, they are competition winners.

If it is your goal to be in such ads, or on such covers, the way to reach that goal is to win the Rhea Gold American Dance Awards Dancer of the Year title.  Another is to be the top soloist at Showbiz or other nationally recognized top competition.  Once you do that, within minutes, you'll have contracts before you.

My daughter was twice a regional American Dance Awards Dancer of the Year, and competed in two National competitions as such.  She didn't win either National event, but those who did, got what you seem to want.

There are many roads to your goal.  One is described above.  Other than that, do a Google search and develop a list of anyone who has any product relating to dance and let them know that you are alive and well, and submit to them a comp card that features you in dance costumes, shoes, and accessories.  Send a cover letter introducing yourself and let them know that you are alive and well.  In the same letter, ask if they are not the person who would make a decision as to which model would be used to promote their products, to provide you with the contact info of the person who would make that decision.

I can tell in about 3 minutes if the model in front of me has had ballet training.  If she did, (the more the better), the results of the shoot have a much better chance of being great.  Ballet dancers have a subliminal knowledge of the lines their body makes, and they pose beautifully.

Good Luck to you.

Mike Kelcher

Oct 02 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

alexwh wrote:
I beg to differ on the almost negative opinion given here on dancers. I have photographed many dancers.  Dancers, particularly good ones, have an extraordinary relationship with their body and how it occupies space. You can surround a dancer with lights that are near and the dancer will instinctively know how far they are and their relation to their outstretched limbs. I have told many a dancer to have a rest during a portrait session and after that rest they will return to the exact (and unmarked spot) there were occupying. More startling as I look through my camera I need not re-focus. Just about anything a human can do a good dancer can do with more grace and poise.

..... Alexwh

If I had the choice of photographing a model with no experience or a dancer with no modelling experience, the dancer would get it every time.

But watch they don't stand on their toes all time.

Oct 02 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

RED Photographic wrote:

If I had the choice of photographing a model with no experience or a dancer with no modelling experience, the dancer would get it every time.

But watch they don't stand on their toes all time.

Modern dancers never do.

Oct 02 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

alexwh wrote:

Modern dancers never do.

Is that modern dance dancers never do or dancers today never do?

Oct 02 06 12:15 am Link

Model

FaithK

I see what you mean. I just asked to clear that up and ask HOW they received recognition on dance magazines. Now that i know, i am better informed... thank you.

Oct 02 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

As a nude photographer, I LOVE working with dancers.. they have a perfect sense of how they look in a pose, control details themselves, are in great shape, and not self-conscious. Several of my best models have been experienced dance students or instructors. For fashion work there'd be less of a crossover I'd imagine, but for artistic nudes, they're great:-)

Oct 03 06 09:20 am Link

Model

FaithK

i agree smile

Oct 04 06 10:13 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

LMAO.  like you were going to disagree. 

ha ha ha....  (whoops, I snorted...)

Oct 04 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

Title: "My Mom Made Me Take This Class" 
I have sold this print plenty of times.  Seems that the girls love it.  Most of them were forced to take ballet at some point of their lives and can relate to the image.  (note the cig butts on the floor)

see more at http://www.theooh.com

https://www.photosbydolph.com/MySpace/BalletMS.jpg

Oct 04 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

timothy dolph wrote:

rofl

Oct 04 06 02:02 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

timothy dolph wrote:
I have sold this print plenty of times.  Seems that the girls love it.  Most of them were forced to take ballet at some point of their lives and can relate to the image.  (note the cig butts on the floor)

see more at http://www.theooh.com

https://www.photosbydolph.com/MySpace/BalletMS.jpg

wink  I love that picture.

Oct 04 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

bear_mkt

Paramus, New Jersey, US

alexwh wrote:
I have told many a dancer to have a rest during a portrait session and after that rest they will return to the exact (and unmarked spot) there were occupying. More startling as I look through my camera I need not re-focus. Just about anything a human can do a good dancer can do with more grace and poise.

That's an accurate observation about dancers holding a pose. In the film era, told one to hold an awkward pose while I changed my film, then I turned around, reloaded and she was still there exactly the way I left her. It was like being in a museum and turning around for second look at a statue.

Oct 05 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

The best models I have worked with have a dance background.  They are trained how to use their body, stand up straight, move gracefully.  You'd be surprised how many new girls have no concept of how to move like a lady. 
Just my two cents!

Oct 08 06 05:44 pm Link

Model

Elisa Lee

East Lansing, Michigan, US

alexwh wrote:

Very good dancers, from very good dance companies (be they classical ballet or moder dance) by necessity must pose for photographers so that the shows can be advertised in the media. This means that dancers can not only dance but they must also be very good models. Because so many (even the good dance companies) dancers dance on very low budgets the dancers that I have the pleasure of having in my studio happen to be pretty good at applying their own makeup.

And while I am not going to state this too loudly here, dancers are so confident of their bodies that nudity, in most cases is not only not important but they will volunteer even when not asked. It is very easy to photograph  dancers when these "limits" are not an issue.

Just like all models who say they are models are sometimes not models, not all dancers who say they are dancers, are indeed dancers. But if you are lucky to photograph a good dancer, you can be sure that he or she will be a good model.

My now 9 year old granddaughter started ballet at 5. Here she is and she has poise in spades.
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060604/20/448389dacea69_m.jpg
Alexwh

Awwww, your granddaughter is so adorable!  Her pose looks so natural and she has such a beautiful face, looks like you've got a model on your hands smile

To the OP, I would suggest contacting dance supply catalogs as well.  I've dances for many years and I have known a few dancers who have appeared in catalogs.  Although, I'm assuming you would have to be in the same area where the catalog is published.  I know there's a few dancewear suppliers with their own catalogs based out of CA.  Good luck!

Oct 08 06 11:44 pm Link