Forums > General Industry > which comments mean the most to you?

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

We all love comments or tags. And from the looks of the homepage of all the MM'rs begging to have people look at their portfolios.. it seems we can never get enough feedback on our work.. we crave validation.

But which comments mean the most to you? Is it a comment by a pier (photographer to photographer, model to model)? By a prospective collaborator? Just a hot model giving you some attention? hehe.. Do you back scratch?.. i.e. give comments just so you can some back?

By the way, IMHO, a friend request with out any prior comment or tag is lame.

Just curious.. :-)

Oct 01 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Comments from other photographers boost my willy.

Oct 01 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Perspective model.  If I can generate the interest and respect of those that I am photographing then it makes my job easier.  Especially because I rarely hit up models to work with any more.  So when THEY like it and THEY initiate contact then more than likely it will result in a great shoot.

Oct 01 06 08:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katie Scanlan

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yeah... I have to say when other makeup artists or even stylists comment/leave tags it generally means the most. Either that or anyone who has really amazing work or is really experienced. And friend requests without tags/comments honestly don't bother me, I find it flattering usually. smile

Oct 01 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Those from colleagues (Photographers, MUAs, etc) I have worked with mean the most. It pained me mightily to have to repost some photos that I put up while my monitor was out of calibration, dumping a bunch of those comments, ouch!
Oh well, onward and upward.

Oct 02 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Sorry to open this can of worms...but clients.

Nothing posted here matters. =P

Andy

Oct 02 06 08:42 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

From photographers/models/muas/stylists whose work I'm in awe of.

From anyone on my wish list.

The biggest flattery though, is when a photographer contacts me for TFP that I would never even think would be interested.

-D

Oct 02 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Peace

Dumont d'Urville - permanent station of France, Sector claimed by France, Antarctica

A few days ago I sent a msg to a photographer who's portfolio I admired. I told him I was striving to achieve a similar style, but I was nowhere close to his work. He sent a very nice note back.

The very next day, I got a note from another photog that said he liked my work and that he hoped to develop a similar style, but was not close to mine.

I told him to bug off....

No I didn't. I told him his note meant a lot to me.

A nice note from anyone whos work I admire is a lift. I think MM is as much a Mutual Admiration Society as anything else, and that's not a bad thing. Having said that, I usually refrain from the "I'll tag you if you tag me" game. It seems self-serving and unproductive.

Oct 02 06 09:05 am Link