Forums > General Industry > More craigslist follies

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Photographer Wanted for National Campaign
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-10-01, 11:08AM EDT

New Latino hip hop fiction book publisher seeks incredible photographer/graphic artist to do one day shoot.

We're launching a new genre in fiction, Latino hip hop fiction. African-American hip hop fiction books have sold millions of copies, but where are the Latino books? That's where we come in.

We're a very new company and only have $300 for the budget for the day of shooting. I know it's a low budget however, we give you photography credit in the book, include your name/website along with the national publicity we're doing, and feed you on the shoot.

Here's what we would like you to do:

Cast/Coordinate the 3-4 models, release forms, makeup artist, wardrobe, locations and deliver us 3 book cover designs by October 15th. You do everything so all we have to do is approve the models before hand via their pictures and walk in on the shoot and supervise. The models are all on spec and you need to let them know that the only upfront pay you may want to pay them is coming from your budget, otherwise it's all on spec. And they will receive national exposure including credit in the book and also will be fed on the shoot.

Our first book title has been seen by hundreds of thousands of people around the world and was picked up by Warner Books.

About the models we need: 1-2 hot Latinas, 1-2 good looking urban Latino, 1 well-built dark-skinned good-looking black guy. Models should be unmistakably urban Latino (and look like they came off the cover of Source Latino Magazine and or Maxim Magazine)

This is not our company, but here's an example of the quality we're looking for: http://www.urbanbooks.net

If you can do this quality then email us 3 samples showing us this. (Low res pictures please) If you send us a link please have the link be the direct link to the samples, not a link to your website where we have to search for hours trying to find what we need. And only send us samples of the same type of style on the urbanbooks site, not pictures of flowers. Also, please include a short personalized email to "Kristi" not a form letter.

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Compensation: $300/day

http://miami.craigslist.org/crg/214600343.html

Oct 01 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

LMAO. That's a lot of work for peanuts.  They can find their own models and coordinate  it all for that price.

Oct 01 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Vegas Alien wrote:
They can find their own models and coordinate  it all for that price.

They seem to want much more than that:

"Cast/Coordinate the 3-4 models, release forms, makeup artist, wardrobe, locations and deliver us 3 book cover designs by October 15th. You do everything"

So, they expect the $300 budget to cover the photographer, the models, the makeup artist(s), the styling, the locations, AND the graphic design of the book covers?  At least they're willing to feed everyone during the shoot smile

Oct 01 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

And who says there is "no free lunch"? smile

Oct 01 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

If someone had nothing better to do, and liked that type stuff...
why not?
Yes, work for peanuts, but for an amateur, it's something to do...

Oct 01 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

I know a few photographers who wont turn on their camera for less than $10,000 a day.....I am not one of them though, lol.

Oct 01 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

..and do my laundry, rotate the tires on my car, walk the dog.........$300  is a lot of bux ya know!

Oct 02 06 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Merlinpix wrote:
..and do my laundry, rotate the tires on my car, walk the dog.........$300  is a lot of bux ya know!

You left out butter my bread? Thin I know.

Oct 02 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

It's an opportunity to negotiate. If I were trying to break into the business and wanted something like that for my resume, it might be worth it. It'd also be worth going back to them and saying "OK, your terms sound great but can we add to it that I get big photo credits and can put my URL on some of the materials, that I can put 'staff photographer' on my business car, and that you give me a certain amount of banner ads on the site?"

In case nobody had noticed, it's a buyer's market right now. It's fine to sit back and scoff as long as you've got a reputation and plenty of work coming in the door. Or if you're like me and have a day job in another industry. smile

mjr.

Oct 02 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
It's an opportunity to negotiate. If I were trying to break into the business and wanted something like that for my resume, it might be worth it. It'd also be worth going back to them and saying "OK, your terms sound great but can we add to it that I get big photo credits and can put my URL on some of the materials, that I can put 'staff photographer' on my business car, and that you give me a certain amount of banner ads on the site?"

In case nobody had noticed, it's a buyer's market right now. It's fine to sit back and scoff as long as you've got a reputation and plenty of work coming in the door. Or if you're like me and have a day job in another industry. smile

mjr.

Are the MUA , stylist ,  model and photographer going to recieve these benefits as well?
Through the negotiations that the photographer does or is everyone gonna negotiate their own deal? How big size wise is the cover and will there be any room left ? Who is paying the photographer for their skills at negotiation? It already got out of hand for $300.
I know I am asking those personal attack questions again.

Oct 02 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

I remember one of those "do everything for nothing" offers on CL.

They wanted someone to shoot 100 "around Atlanta" shots for stock work. They were willing to pay - for unlimited and lifetime exclusive use - $1/image accepted. In return they would "give the photographer credit" on their website.

The website didn't even exist at the time of the ad.

That offer, as with others of that ilk, were promptly ignored.

Oct 02 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

My favorite is models looking for portfolio shots for TFP. They usually say I am looking for a great photographer, send me samples, you will have the opportunity of working with a gorgeous model, and they will allow you to use the images for your portfolio.

I am so honored - I can flatter my book with your photo? THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THAN YOU!

Oct 02 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Then you have the local photographers who do decent work and undervalue thier work:

"CHEAP Quality Photography, 200 pictures, 4 hours, 25 Retouched!!! 100$" (from today's Chicago CL).

I especially like the first two words in the headline.  They likely are read differently than the poster intended.

Oct 02 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I think some of you are failing to appreciate the fact that this craigslist "client" expects to get rich off of your time, labor, and skill.

"Our first book title has been seen by hundreds of thousands of people around the world and was picked up by Warner Books."

And they can only pay $300 for a photographer, the models, the makeup artist(s), the styling, the location, the post-production, and the graphic design of the book covers?

What percentage of their "national campaign" are they offering here, anyway?  50 percent?  5 percent?  .05 percent?  What's the initial ad buy?

What is the "client" contributing to this project, besides convincing other people to do all the work for next to nothing?  I wonder what the writer's getting . . .

If you're willing to take on such a project for $300 and a mystery meal, why not simply donate your services to a worthy charity?  It'll be a lot easier to convince models and makeup artists to participate, the exposure will be MUCH more valuable to everyone involved, and you won't helping some craigslist wannabe pay for his new Escalade.

Oct 02 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Vegas Alien wrote:
Then you have the local photographers who do decent work and undervalue thier work:

"CHEAP Quality Photography, 200 pictures, 4 hours, 25 Retouched!!! 100$" (from today's Chicago CL).

I especially like the first two words in the headline.  They likely are read differently than the poster intended.

Yes, Chicago has some great ones.

My favorites are the adult ads that offer $100 for a model to do an adult video shoot. I wonder who actually accepts these gigs.

Of course, they offer the models a great time "great exposure" - for their breasts and vaginas, maybe.

Then of course, the photographers offering thier services to do adult shoots for $25 an hour. I'm sure the model's get back a lot of close ups - and not their face.

Oct 02 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Yeah. I've noticed a lot of the CL ads are all about telling you what incredible exposure you'll get. It's like, come on, if you're casting unpaid jobs from Craigslist, you're obviously not well established in your industry. You can't afford to pay a dime to your models, but we're supposed to believe you have this tremendous marketing budget and your product is a practically a household name.

Oct 02 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Dear Craigslist Forum...

Oct 02 06 07:52 pm Link