Forums > General Industry > Involved in charity work utilizing our profession?

Photographer

FMfoto

Los Angeles, California, US

Not trying to bum anyone out.

Just curious if there has been something organized via our profession- photographers/models, that was used for charity?  Breast cancer research?
Someone very dear to me is dying from breast cancer.  I know it's too late for them, but I hope to sometime put my talents to good use.

Sep 29 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

FARLEY MAGADIA wrote:

Just curious if there has been something organized via our profession- photographers/models, that was used for charity?  Breast cancer research?
Someone very dear me is dying from breast cancer.  I know it's too late for them, but I hope to sometime put my talents to good use.

If you can emotionally handle it, try www.nilmdts.org  It is for couples who find out their child may not survive birth and want to take some portraits of the three of them before while the child is still with them.

Sep 29 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

FARLEY MAGADIA wrote:

Someone very dear me is dying from breast cancer.  I know it's too late for them, but I hope to sometime put my talents to good use.

I personally have *tried* to have a cancer benefit... see the site at http://acs.raveneyes.com

Unfortunately, folks don't really believe in charity anymore I guess... either that or I didn't come up with the right marketing for it... but no newspaper would print the story, and no one would sign up for the event... even though we had a lot of web traffic (over 3,000 unique visitors) and a few phone calls.

It is a lot of work, and you may have a hard time with it, but I can certainly tell you it is a lot easier getting people to volunteer their time than it is getting them to give up their money.

Sep 29 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I have not done any photo work towards breast cancer, but I used to visit the Humane Society every week and photograph the animals needing homes. They went on bulletin boards.

Sep 29 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Good for you for wanting to volunteer. Too many of us do not! I've done quite a bit of charity work over the years but have not found any sort of charity organization for our profession. What i did was just find local and charities and local branches which interested me, make contact with them and offeer my services. Sometimes they only wanted money from me, but sometimes they were eager for pro level photography. I've no doubt that breast cancer groups in your area would welcome your services. In addition to breast cancer groups, homeless shelters, shelters for abused women and children, rape counciling and other similar organizations are often hungry for photographic services.

Go for it! It can be emotionally rewarding and on the more mundane level and besides being a good tax write off can help you sleep better.

Sep 29 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Doug Lester wrote:
Good for you for wanting to volunteer. Too many of us do not! I've done quite a bit of charity work over the years but have not found any sort of charity organization for our profession. What i did was just find local and charities and local branches which interested me, make contact with them and offeer my services. Sometimes they only wanted money from me, but sometimes they were eager for pro level photography. I've no doubt that breast cancer groups in your area would welcome your services. In addition to breast cancer groups, homeless shelters, shelters for abused women and children, rape counciling and other similar organizations are often hungry for photographic services.

Go for it! It can be emotionally rewarding and on the more mundane level and besides being a good tax write off can help you sleep better.

We put on a fashion show and gallery showing in Phoenix Az a few years ago for children with aids. I have a pro darkroom business and did all the film/ prints for those who used my service. This was a great day for the 490 people who attended. Starbucks donated the coffee and me and my spouse provided the food and wine. We raised about $1400 in donations. Taking out the costs we ended up donateing about $1000.

Sep 30 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

There is the American Child Photographers Charity Guild.  It doesn't deal strictly with cancer victims, but they are a group of photographers who volunteer their time and material to create heirloom memorial photos of terminally ill children before their passing.  There is no charge for their services and it give the families in need something to remember there late little ones by before they pass away.

Their website is:

http://www.acpcg.com/

Sep 30 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Digiography wrote:
There is the American Child Photographers Charity Guild.  It doesn't deal strictly with cancer victims, but they are a group of photographers who volunteer their time and material to create heirloom memorial photos of terminally ill children before their passing.  There is no charge for their services and it give the families in need something to remember there late little ones by before they pass away.

Their website is:

http://www.acpcg.com/

Thank you.

Sep 30 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

GRHorn

New York, New York, US

FARLEY MAGADIA wrote:

Try to think of something you can use your talent with the camera to do to make money.  Then donate it to Cancer research.

I also at one time owned a Scuba Diving Store, (Scuba Divine in Brooklyn, right next to my motorcycle shop).  I ran the NYC Breast Cancer Research Seahorse Dive, for two years prior to 9-11, since the dive was conducted near the Gill Hodges Memorial Bridge leading to Breezy Point in Queens, the police quashed it due to national security issues.  I totally understand since this bridge leads to Jamaica Bay which the fuel barges use to supply Kennedy Airport travel under.  Most people did not realize we have Seahorses in NYC, and they are native to the area, Hippocampus Erectus.

Sep 30 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Thank you.

Hope it helps.

I saw a news article on them, they do great work and are very sensitive about their shoots as they sometimes have to go to the hospital to do them.

Sep 30 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

American Cancer Society volunteer.  Shot a lot of survivors, events and even a mammogram procedure once for an info campaign.  Been awhile though.

-D

Sep 30 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Richard Maxwell

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

everytime we photograph an ugly person

Sep 30 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

FARLEY MAGADIA wrote:

Someone very dear to me is dying from breast cancer.  I know it's too late for them, but I hope to sometime put my talents to good use.

Well, I'm not sure of an organization on our side but I did take it upon myself to do some work like that. This summer, I shot a bunch of pro-bono stuff for the Special Olympics. Coolest thing I've done in a looooooong time. Immensely rewarding and I love the images that came out. Here's a couple. If anyone would like to see more, please send me an e-mail. I can't tell you how happy I am with it and I'd love to share it with anyone interested.

I think the gift we have have as photographers is really great and it's nice to use it in such a way. Give it a whirl, you'll be happy you did.

[email protected]

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/mortophoto/6-18-06-01-11.jpg
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/mortophoto/6-18-06-04-07.jpg

Sep 30 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

JohnnyGO

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've done some work with Give Kids the World.
They host terminally ill children and their families to spend a week at Walt Disney World and they pay for everything.
Sometimes it was very hard to just sit and watch as the families have fun. Knowing the child’s story.

B

Sep 30 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

FMfoto

Los Angeles, California, US

Thank you everyone who has posted so far...
the following is a excerpt from a letter I wrote back to an MM member:

"My post was out of curiousity, I'm not ready to devote the time for the charities yet, because that's precious time that could be spent with my mother (the one whom I writing about).
I sometimes feel very guilty about the field I'm in, because it is very superficial. I work very hard long hours and most weekends and have not been able to spend the time with my mom, even though she's 20min away. It's a poor excuse, but I'm trying to make up for it, and I feel have very short time left."

I re-read that statement and thought about the times were my photographs had touched others.
Just even a simple snapshot that a person has cherished because someone is no longer with them.  I forget about the power of photography, and stopping moments in time.  After all, when asked about what personal belongings people grabbed during a devistating fire, or flood... the photos are usually an answer to that question.

Sep 30 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I donate my time to the American Cancer Society. You can see some of the images at http://www.pbase.com/adgibson/relay2006

Sep 30 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

hey ...

i'm in the middle of a project like that ....

http://www.yerkesphoto.com/breastcancer.html

check it out ...

it was at the request of a woman , whos mother had breast cancer and a double mastectomy .....

keep the page bookmarke an check back ....

thanks ,
Matt

Sep 30 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Shelby Rich

Vancouver, Washington, US

Apfel Photography wrote:

If you can emotionally handle it, try www.nilmdts.org  It is for couples who find out their child may not survive birth and want to take some portraits of the three of them before while the child is still with them.

I signed up today. Thank you for the link..

Oct 01 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Soulumination - http://www.soulumination.org/

"Soulumination, founded by Lynette Johnson, celebrates the lives of children facing life threatening illnesses by providing professional photographs—free of charge—of these children and their families. The life-affirming photographs of Soulumination are an enduring, positive record of the child’s brief life. Current efforts center on continuing to provide services to the families requesting our services and supporting exhibits of the Soulumination Collection. To date we have photographed over 70 families with your support."

Can't post images of the families, but here's Lynette and the Husky football players who help the foundation.

https://lll0228.afraid.org/lynette.jpg

Oct 13 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Just ran across this thread.  I offer a free family portrait session and a printable CD of images to families who've lost their photographs to fire or flood.  I also offer free family portrait sessions to people who are vicitms of domestic violence and, as a result, have lost access to their family photos. I do recommend consulting a lawyer about legalities and liabilities, but you don't have to find an organization before you can help someone in need.  Individuals can make a difference.

Nov 19 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

FARLEY MAGADIA wrote:

I do volunteer photography for the Susan Komen foundation ( http://www.komen.org ). Call them up and get a contact at your local branch to offer your services. When I covered local the Race For the Cure this year, we were down to two of us from about a dozen last year.

I became involved with them because someone close is a two time survivor.  Someday when I have my own studio ( dare to dream ) I also plan to offer some type of free portrait service for survivors.

Nov 20 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I shoot for an organization that places foster children.

Nov 20 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I love reading a thread like this.
It renews my faith in the human spirit to see everyone get involved.
I bookmarked each link to read later and find one that I can help out with.
Thank you.

Nov 20 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

"Focus on AIDS" is a photography auction in LA to benefit AIDS services as well. And one of our members here (to be named later once it's up and running ;-) is going to start something that's also a print auction to benefit some charities. These are all great suggestions on the thread-I did pro bono legal work for the Humane Society, have done 2 San Francisco to LA AIDS rides, donated to Susan G. Komen a bunch, but haven't explored doing charity with a camera. It's such a great idea!

Nov 20 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

not related but felt like posting this here.
www.one.org

So kill me if off topic.  Have to catch me first.

Dec 24 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I have a friend who coordinates a yearly charity auction for AIDS reserach and also one for breast cancer research
She routinely hits me up for prints, I always make sure to have at least 1 to donate

Dec 24 06 03:25 am Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

I did a charity fashion show last year for abused-children here in Oklahoma.

And I know a couple of photographer that sells their art and donate the money to St. Jude hospital.

smile  I know its not much, but as they said, a little help goes a long way.

Dec 24 06 04:36 am Link

Photographer

SensualThemes

Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US

I've started www.pinups4.com - a site designed to sell clothing (changing to locally produced clothing from CafePress rip-off crap) and images/prints/posters for charity.  Any style is great...as long as it's "sexy not sexual"

Would love to get donated images from photogs, models, MUAs, etc (you choose the charitites) or partner with anyone interested in doing a project - we have the trademark, the corporate structure, the knowledge of nonprofits (I used to run one and was on the board of 2) and am launching my promotion this month with a cluster-wide radio promoton, and hopefully a multi-city news run.

email [email protected] or call 570 237 0124

Dec 24 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

FARLEY MAGADIA wrote:

I am not sure how that fits in, but I am shooting A LOT of charity events, especially high society fundraisers.

I shot just a week ago the Masons Toys for Todds event at the New York Presbytarian Hospital.

I am actually heavily involved in charitable events.

Not sure if that counts for anything.

Dec 24 06 07:55 am Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

I volunteer at a neighborhood center which serves mostly inner city kids from pre-schoolers to teens.  The center is located in one of the most crime ridden areas of the city and it is heartbreaking to see what these kids have to deal with each and every day.  I maintain the center's computer network and teach a basic computer (the parents need it more than the kids) class, but I also have taught classes in digital photography, videophotography/editing and I will be starting a beginner Photoshop class in January.  Yesterday, I got to photograph the visit of Santa and his wife to the center  (Santa had a real beard, an outstanding costume and he and his wife never broke character when within earshot of the kids).

Doug

Dec 24 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

There are quite a few things that could be done for charity, outside simply shooting charity events.

The morning radio show I listen to had a "tastefully nude" photoshoot done of its producer, Joe.  (Its a riot to look at...wrong on so many levels.)

http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/Pict … to%20shoot

They are selling the calendars with all the money going to an alzheimers research facility.

You can sell images with proceeds going to such and such.

You can take photos of families for the holidays who can't afford it...

You can donate prints for silent auctions.

Volunteer to teach underpriveldged youth photography...(this was done at the school I teach at, a photo club.)  Its like a big brother type of thing, but not quite.  Mentoring youth in arts.

Dec 24 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

God bless this thread... I have a few things on the board, mainly dealing in the area of AIDS. I'm hoping to bring it all together in 2007.

Gary

Dec 24 06 08:49 am Link

Model

L E O III

Toledo, Ohio, US

This is a movie I was an extra in (I played a Viking) and is due out in March/April. All the proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society. Everyone in involved with it donated there time.....nobody was paid a dime. It should air on public TV and will also be out on DVD.......

https://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/lionthelion/BEOWULF.jpg

Dec 24 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

919 wrote:
There are quite a few things that could be done for charity, outside simply shooting charity events.

True... but you know what... when I am shooting those events, I charge a fraction or nothing when I am shooting it... and my images help to create awareness, since I am also press and those images are being published, which helps even more to create awareness.

Do not underestimate "mass appeal" of the photograph. The impact you have is greater than if you merely hand out napkins at a soup shelter, although that is also a great way of contributing. But I aim for the greater impact!

Dec 24 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

UdoR wrote:

True... but you know what... when I am shooting those events, I charge a fraction or nothing when I am shooting it... and my images help to create awareness, since I am also press and those images are being published, which helps even more to create awareness.

Do not underestimate "mass appeal" of the photograph. The impact you have is greater than if you merely hand out napkins at a soup shelter, although that is also a great way of contributing. But I aim for the greater impact!

I wasn't saying that to put you down....in any way shape or form.

There just seemed to be a lot of talk about shooting charity events, so I thought I'd add other things than that.

Dec 24 06 09:37 am Link