Forums > General Industry > Interactive websites

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Interactive websites

I know that websites that are interactive and that change images and words often are visited more often and also ones that have more information that is pertinent to the website as well

Mine is just a portfolio website but I have been looking at more and more websites and as well for my photography website I’m looking for a good way to make mine more interactive. Or at least a new image every day, yea right how about every week. I do all the coding my self and just don’t have time to write and learn all the support code but some bloggers are nifty that I have seen. I also want it to be easer to update info and sceudals and stuff. Yet bloggers are connected to other hosts and I wish to use my own host…

Anyone have any tips or experience in these matters?

Sep 27 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

interactive websites are cool. some websites generate more traffic simply for the fact that looks so damn cool, but if the interface is alienating (which most of the coolest-looking sites are) then people generally don't poke around long enough to explore.

just my two cents.

P.S. whats your URL?

Sep 27 06 04:33 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

errm which one???

www.ionalynn.com

(for modeling)

http://www.experimentalcraftworks.com/P … home.shtml

(For photography and all other fun stuff)

mine don't look super cool but my modleing one does get me jobs and I just want it to be a little mor einteresting to possible clients and such I try to takea very active part in art shows, forums, workshops, and such and need to be able to easely let others know about what is going on...

I see some great photogrpaher web sites that are photo blogs and they have people flocking to them just to see the new images every day.

Sep 27 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Can be varying levels of simple/complex..

Flash sites are popular with many photogs.. Personally, I usually can't stand them..

Straight HTML is static..  But it's a very simple bump to something like .Net or so on that can give you some creative control without needing to be too terribly complicated..

Sep 27 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

And the software -- like Flash 8 Pro -- to create the Flash websites is too darned expensive for simple portfolio stuff.  sad 

You could always put up a regular website and just change the content (i.e., the images) once in awhile.  Or keep adding to it, using something like the Coppermine Gallery.

Sep 27 06 04:43 pm Link

Model

Beauty of Tiferet

Cleveland, Ohio, US

When our site is completed one of the things we'll have in the CMS is the ability to choose how long until a new set is allowed to go live. So I won't have to stress about it. I'll just say (in the beginning) set it for once a week a new set goes live. And as the site grows I can adapt as necessary.

So there is code that can do it. I don't know it, and Shawn's building it as we go, but you'll know more about it once the site goes live (if you ask nicely).

Sep 27 06 04:47 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

*bats eyes at molly*

Sep 27 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

There was some Microsoft server feature that updated online calendars from your Outlook. You'd have to ask hubbie about that, I'm not as current with Microsoft now that I'm not programming as much and he should be. Hope his knee is doing well. The appointments can even be interactive with secure logins.

The page design is important and you can load a bunch of photos up and have them automatically rotate on a fixed schedule in the code. What editor are you using? Hope not just Wordpad and hand coding or FrontPage.

I can do some research if you want, but you haven't paid me for the autofocus point shift yet. Glad you had fun in Joshua Tree, hope the Yucca fire didn't affect anything there.

Sep 27 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

EJM

Kenneth City, Florida, US

I am a webmaster for a mm photographer and he routinely adds a new gallery to show his work. I use javascript galleries to make html pages look interesting.

EJM

Sep 27 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

EJM

I am a webmaster for a mm photographer and he routinely adds a new gallery to show his work. I use javascript galleries to make html pages look interesting.

EJM

Sep 27 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

EJM

EJM

Sep 27 06 11:56 pm Link