Forums > General Industry > Film or Digital

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yea, I know everyone shoots digital now a days, me included, but I still love shooting film.

For 35 mm format it is still larger, and more detail with other formats.

So my question is do you still shoot film anymore for your own work? Special projects? Or mix both film and digital depending on what you are shooting?

And if you shoot film at all, what formats?

Just wondering before all the film is gone and then we are very sorry it's gone.

I know digital saves you money, but it sucks editing, storing, finding, images, and I have lost so much even on back up discs, and it just doesn't feel right shooting it, like it is a toy, not the real thing.

I'm not sentimental just think film is a great medium and feel people need to know there are still reasons to use it before we lose it and it's too late.

Yes my film cameras are collecting dust, but I still like to shoot film, but I am more picky because the expense and with digital I feel it doesn't matter what you shoot, who cares?

But that is just my opinion.  What's yours?

Sep 27 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

https://www.ownedirl.com/Old-1950sHeadache.jpg

Oh yeah.... digital.

Sep 27 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Vibe N Vision

I still shoot film for b&w or if I want to x-process...plus I have a couple a cheap Holgas that I love to waste film in ;^}  They're made to shoot 120 but it's fun to stick a roll of 35mm in it to see the results...however my clients still get the digi treatment unless requested.

Sep 27 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

PS>

I don't mean to say which is better digital or film, who cares really, just wondering if anyone still uses or likes film to shoot.

So carry on, but let me know just want to know what you think.

Sep 27 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I prefer film - E-6   120   4x5    35mm      jh

Sep 27 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I prefer film - E-6   120   4x5    35mm      jh

Sep 27 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I thought I would keep shooting film. In fact, my first digital camera was bought for a very specific purpose, and I thought I'd use film for the 'serious' stuff.

It didn't really work out that way. I occasionally use film for my panorama camera.

Sep 27 06 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I've never used high end digital.   You know, the stuff like the MF hassy or the full-frame Canon whatever that costs like $5k with one lens.    I'm sure if I could use that stuff I'd like digital.  But so far the prosumer stuff, hasn't really thrilled me.

So I still use film with an occasional halfhearted attempt at a digital camera.

Sep 27 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Yes, that hasn't changed. Only time will tell if I'll be forced.

Sep 27 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

rickspix

Vallejo, California, US

i went to digital kicking and screaming because i always thought i would never do it but now after 3 years of nothing but shooting with the high end 22 mp imacon back i bought i have not shot film in those three years and i wonder what i am going to do with my huge darkroom and equip i have in there as well as my 4x5 systems and lenses etc. i have so much stuff just sitting in cabinets.
i keep upgrading my computers and have some nice printers. i am about to buy another epson so i can convert my 4000 to all black and white and grey inks and have the new 4800 just for color. i really love everything about digital and dont think ill ever go back. heck i have even shot some pin hole digital work for some experiments with my fine art. i love playing on my art days i schedule. there is one thing i really dont miss about shooting film. the huge expense for processing and the exhorbitant amount of money i used to spend on 4x5 polaroids. i bought that stuff by the case.

Sep 27 06 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Been using both but, Christ, I'm so ass-backwards that I recently shot an action sport event, motocross, with my Pentax 6x7 and a hand-held bellows set-up. I'm flame broiled with the results and can't wait to try more.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/mortophoto/9-10-06-04-21.jpg

Sep 27 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i have four slr's and forty rolls of film in my cupboard never to be used again , that say i am over the inferior quality of film.

Sep 27 06 03:09 am Link

Photographer

PJQ Photography

Right now everything in my port is film, except my color images.  35MM.  I still love film, but I am starting to shoot more digital : - (

Only because of cost to develop the film...shooting so many rolls with a model adds up...I found out recently!

But I'll still try to shoot film when I can (when the wallets full).

Paul

Sep 27 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I started 35+ years ago with a 620 film camera.  In the late 60's I went to 35mm.  Frustrated by dust in my darkroom and all over my 16x20's, I went to a Hasselblad in the early 70's.  I still have that camera and have done over 600 weddings with it, plus at least 4000 portrait sittings.  In the 80's I bought a back-up to that and still have that too. About 3 years ago, I bought a digital Canon 10d. I love it, although would prefer a 5d or a 30d....though I doubt either will last as long as my Hasselblads.  I haven't shot film since I got the digital. I have noticed however, that when it comes to low light, or time exposure (night) photography, film seems to do a better job for me.  For everything else though, I use digital.  The PS learning curve is very high.  I spent about 30-45 hours a week in PS, for about 3 years, before I'm finally starting to get a clue.  I doubt however, that I'll live long enough to totally master that program.  On a print up to 9x12, I feel the digital 6.3 megapixel digital gives me quality similar to the Hasselblad...but digital has much more creative/artistic control.

Sep 27 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I still shoot film for myself and for clients.  I think Digital sucks, but I still shoot it for clients and myself.  Until Digital Cameras come pre-programmed to simulate say Kodachrome, Velvia, Ektachrome, Sensia, Superia, etc. it's just a pain in the ass. 

Sure Digital has it's uses, GREAT for students who can't afford to shoot film.  GREAT for photojournalists!  Great for someone who's going to photoshop anyway!

The color and depth of film has not yet been captured with Digital, even with the Hassy 22mp back.  Until that day comes, I will not be TRULY happy with Digital and will continue to shoot film, 35mm, Polaroid, and 120/220.

Film will never go away, it will just be a much smaller market.  When was the last time you shot with a pinhole camera or a 4x5/8x10?  Those are at least 100 years old!!!

Sep 27 06 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

For the record...and Ihave been guilty of tis as well....

In regards, to 35mm and Digital.. Digital has pretty much rep;aced 35mm and soon 35 mm will be very hard if not impossible to get..
HOWEVER... All other forms of Film.IE  Medium Format.  120..etc.. are very much in full effect in the world of phogrraphy.

FILM versus Digital should actially read... 35mm versus Digital in many of these conversations. As the larger formats (film) are still in high demand..Digital hasnt replaced those just yet...

Oh yeah...35mm is not LARGER than your prosumer to Pro digitsal camera..

Sep 27 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I shoot black and white film for all personal projects. T-max 400,Berrgger 200 or Tri-X. I use Pyro-abc developer or Xtol-Tmax developer.
I believe that most of the digital images shot today will not be here in thirty years. For whatever reason, coatings on Cd's.power failures,surges etc most will be lost.
Although this is also a problem with negs,ie water damage scratched etc I think negs stand a better chance of long life when processed correctly.
I use digital for all commercial work and have since 1999, the year before I used over $10,000 in polaroid alone between 10x8,5x4 and 2 1/4. That sent me in search of an alternative.  I do miss my polo's though and there is still nothing like an 10x8 polo black and white.
Really its all about the tools to get the job done and I think for print work digital is fine and meets the need. I get covers with my digital cameras and thats all that really matters to me. There is enough information in the file to satify the client.

Sep 27 06 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I use both and like both.  Any problem with that?

Sep 27 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

i agree. why choose?
i use both.

Sep 27 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I only use B&W film.  I aso prefer carbs and breaker-point ignitions, old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

-Don

Sep 27 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Hold on I'm all tied up at the moment...joke Mel just a joke. No problem at all its just a tool.

Sep 27 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Hamza wrote:
…
Film will never go away, it will just be a much smaller market.  When was the last time you shot with a pinhole camera or a 4x5/8x10?  Those are at least 100 years old!!!

The last time I shot a 4x5? …Last week.
I’m getting my own 4x5 rig soon so I’ll probably run a couple of sheets a week through it.

Vance wrote:
FILM versus Digital should actially read... 35mm versus Digital in many of these conversations. As the larger formats (film) are still in high demand..Digital hasnt replaced those just yet...

Oh yeah...35mm is not LARGER than your prosumer to Pro digitsal camera..

Agreed. 35mm film vs 35mm digital? I use both. I prefer film. Digital is in no way cheaper to me.

Not physically larger… It’s just holds more information (i.e. resolution).
I still prefer [film] large format though.

Sep 27 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
https://www.ownedirl.com/Old-1950sHeadache.jpg

LMAO!

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the topic header. Lol...

For years, I was 100% film. I would not give into the digital age. Eventually, I was forced to. I kick myself in the butt for not having done it sooner. The convenience of digital just cannot be beat. That is the only reason, I would lean toward digital today. But... I still use film on occasion. My #1 baby is and will probably always will be my film camera. Unfortunately, it sits in a box most of the time now a days. I'll never give 'er up, though. I love that camera. smile

Sep 27 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

KRB Photography

Stuart, Florida, US

Film will never completely disappear.  As for formats, I shoot 35mm and 120.

Sep 27 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Jack MM

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
i have four slr's and forty rolls of film in my cupboard never to be used again , that say i am over the inferior quality of film.

Your work is of inferior quality.

Sep 27 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

I think digital is a great tool and use it for all my color work.  I shoot with a Nikon D200 and get better results than with many color films I'd  used in the past.  BUT...  I think for B&W (which is all the work shown on my MM port), I still get much better results with film.  Even the most sophisticated B&W conversion software (and yes, I've read the current issue of Digital Pro), doesn't give the same tonal range.

Sep 27 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I use 100% film.  35mm and 6 x 6 Medium Format Negatives.  It's a personal preference.  I understand the industry demands for digital.

Sep 27 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

I've crossed mainly to digital, but it is still great to pull out my mamiya 645 loaded with velvia ISO 50. smile  and 35mm on occasion, as well.

Sep 27 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

I shoot film only.  B&W and color.  I used only 35mm (Canon Eos Rebel) up until the last year during which I've begun to slowly transition to 120 (Mamiya 645).  No work in my profile from 120 yet, but over the next few weeks I'll filter them in.  My first shoot on which I used 120 exclusively was today. 

I wish I'd started out shooting 120, I love the medium.  Eventually I want to use 35mm only on occasion... which isn't all that far-fetched since I have more 120 cameras than 35mm.

Digital?  Maybe one day, if it fits a need I have, but it doesn't at present.  Outside of a wedding or something, I can't image doing event work with my 645 (much as I would like to) so maybe it'll replace my 35mm.  But unless I have to go digital, I won't. 

Just a personal preference...

Sep 27 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Yes! If you can't see every issue as strictly black or white then get the hell off of this site!! :-)

Sep 27 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Jack Jacobs wrote:

In response to the above comment about Doug's Photos...

(chuckle)  I don't know Doug any more than I know you, but I do know one thing for sure, and that is that "inferior" is a relative word as is "quality".  I looked at Doug's photos and truth be told, such photos with the same quality is exactly the type of photos that thrust " 'net photography" into a multi-billion dollar mecca.

I just don't think its realistic for anyone to judge "quality" or inferiority in such general terms in regard to another's work without quantification and or qualification.

Respectfully

Teila

Sep 27 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

CL Photography wrote:
But that is just my opinion.  What's yours?

That I'm tired of this sniping.

Use what you want.

Sep 27 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've been shooting with oil paint recently. One shot cameras that are extremely messy. Most of my images are reminiscent of the poollack fella but in a few some people tell me I've gotten a really clear image of the Madona. It's wierd to see people lining up for blocks just to get a glimpse of a 6X7 cm oilograph.

Sep 27 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
I've been shooting with oil paint recently. One shot cameras that are extremely messy. Most of my images are reminiscent of the poollack fella but in a few some people tell me I've gotten a really clear image of the Madona. It's wierd to see people lining up for blocks just to get a glimpse of a 6X7 cm oilograph.

Your system is much too messy. My system is better. Your system is messy.

I am a scanographer. I put stuff on my scanner. I put stuff like flowers, my face, loose objects and sometimes negatives, slides and photographs. The stuff that I scan is called a scanograph. The science is scanography.

And the beauty of it is that I don't use either a film camera or digital camera.
Alexwh

Sep 27 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

alexwh wrote:

I am a scanographer. I put stuff on my scanner. I put stuff like flowers, my face, loose objects and sometimes negatives, slides and photographs. The stuff that I scan is called a scanograph. The science is scanography.

Alexwh

Oh, please.  You old schoolers are obnoxious.

I'm new school.  I shoot with my mouse. 

•Right click...
•Save as...
•Done...

Sep 27 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

alexwh wrote:

Alexwh

Yeah, but do you get people coming from all over your neighborhood thanking you for the glimpse of the Virgin Mary. (Not talking about the brunch drink)

You like scanography, go here. A friend of mine. He has a few examples of gum scanography.

http://www.gumphoto.com/index.htm

Sep 27 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Jack Jacobs wrote:

2nd post and it's a DIS?

Sep 27 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks everyone,

This isn't about which is better film or digital, just wondered if anyone shot film anymore.

One model told me I was the first photographer she ever shot with who used film!

That actually was the last time I shot a model with film, but I do use both, and it doesn't matter, just what you like, good to hear people still like film.

Now to blow the dust off my 4x5 camera to shoot some landscapes and I'll be off.

Thanks people

Sep 27 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I shoot both, although I'm leaning towards digital more.  Digital for models and bands! Film for weddings and portraits.  Most people want a whole book of proofs from their wedding.  I can produce both a book of photos and a CD from film.  I have yet to have a couple request I shoot digital of their wedding.  But I'm ready for it! 

One problem I have with digital is models not being patient about getting their pictures.  They want it NOW!  LOL  Also I can't do double exposures with my digital camera.  I like shooting double exposures in the camera.  But over all, digital does RULE!  And film will still be around for a long time to come.

Sep 28 06 04:31 am Link

Model

TaraUK

All my portfolio was done on film, so far I have not been photographed on digital to the quality that I prefer.

Sep 28 06 04:42 am Link