Forums > General Industry > Annie Leibovitz

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I received Annie's "American Music" book today and her DVD which is simply self titled.

I simply want to say, "Wow".

She is a truly incredible photographer, and an inspriration.

How I wish I had her access to celebrities.

Sep 26 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

She is an inspiration for me too, expecially her covering as a tour photographer of the Rolling Stones.

When I saw the topic, I was concerned, hoping that this is not a post that gives bad news about her... *phew*

Sep 26 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

InnerGlow Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

UdoR wrote:
She is an inspiration for me too, expecially her covering as a tour photographer of the Rolling Stones.

When I saw the topic, I was concerned, hoping that this is not a post that gives bad news about her... *phew*

Yeah, scared the bejeebers out of me too!  Sure am glad this isn't an "In Memorium" thread.  I've been a big fan of her work for a long time; I think we turned pro at about the same time, and just look at where we stand today. :-)

Fortunately, still standing!

Sep 26 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Ah,  nasty mediocrity rares it's ugly head.
But this is a lesson on how to suckseed in business,  Be a nasty bitch,  be mediocre with skill, and shoot for the stars, or it that shoot with the stars with nothing to say but cheezy shots with okay lighting.
She plays the game better than the others.
Did she ever have anything to say besides her first years of shooting?

obviously much more successful than I am,
But I am still allowed to think she is just mediocre
if not just straight out suck.

History will tell us,  I doubt she will be remembered in 300 years.

Sep 26 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jack D Trute wrote:

In 300 years she could be considered one of the greatest photographers ever. You and I won't know.

Sep 26 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Even though (from what i have come to understand ) she actually hasn't shot much herself i quite some time , her rolling stones stuff was awesome , i think she is fantastic.

Sep 26 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

ADGibson wrote:

In 300 years she could be considered one of the greatest photographers ever. You and I won't know.

Speak for yourself,  God did not grant me 'dog years' for nothing.   Plus there has to be a reason why I only come out at night and suck something besides myself not to be confused with generally just sucking.

Sep 26 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Fortunately I had access to this one.
Alexwh

https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/people/07.jpg

Sep 26 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Jack D Trute wrote:

Speak for yourself,  God did not grant me 'dog years' for nothing.   Plus there has to be a reason why I only come out at night and suck something besides myself not to be confused with generally just sucking.

I have to agree with Jack... A dog in a mohair coat is still a hound.
She totaly sucks and contrived. If you look at some of her photos from as little as 5 years ago, they already look dated. 300 years from now Richard Avedon, Irving Penn..etc, will withstand the test of time. She is nowhere even close to being in that category. Succesful financialy no doubt, but hardly the makings of greatness.

Sep 26 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

I find the short memory of many in MM almost appalling. My excuse for knowing anything is that I am old and I have a good memory. It was yesterday that someone was attributing the Kodachrome song to Bob Dylan.

With that out of the way I would like to point out that it is difficult to observe anything without some association with something else. Leibovitz's tour with the Rolling Stones was mentioned above and nobody has yet connected that tour with photographer Robert Frank who published that seminal book called The Americans. The fact is that Frank made a film of that Rolling Stone tour and it is called Cocksucker Blues (1972). The film has scenes showing the Stones shooting up in a hotel room and one of the groupies of the film is an unamed Annie Leibovitz! Because of some of the negative stuff seen in this movie, the Stones imposed on Frank a proviso that the only way this film can be shown is during a Robert Frank show in an art gallery. There are bootleg versions out there. What is amazing about this film (b+w) is that Frank singlehandedly invented all the techniques now seen in MTV and in music videos.
Alexwh

Sep 26 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

alexwh wrote:
There are bootleg versions out there. What is amazing about this film (b+w) is that Frank singlehandedly invented all the techniques now seen in MTV and in music videos.

A stretch, don't you think?
I do know the film.  I do not however see what that film has to do with the quality of her photographic career.

Sep 26 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

alexwh wrote:
The film has scenes showing the Stones shooting up in a hotel room and one of the groupies of the film is an unamed Annie Leibovitz!

Yes, I have heard of the movie, but have never seen it myself. Robert Frank was a great photographer, yet probably never relished the financial success and fame that Annie Leibovitz has. Again, just an example of how most people don't recognize the difference between greatness and mediocrity.

Sep 26 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Dean Solo wrote:

Yes, I have heard of the movie, but have never seen it myself. Robert Frank was a great photographer, yet probably never relished the financial success and fame that Annie Leibovitz has. Again, just an example of how most people don't recognize the difference between greatness and mediocrity.

oh, I get it now,  if that was his point.

Sep 26 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I may overreach here, but in that Annie Leibovitz has probably produced more interpretive portraiture covering popular and political culture figures than any other magazine photographer (name her competitors) of the last thirty years, her name may well turn out an inescapable label on the pictorial part of American history.

Sep 26 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

commart wrote:
I may overreach here, but in that Annie Leibovitz has probably produced more interpretive portraiture covering popular and political culture figures than any other magazine photographer (name her competitors) of the last thirty years, her name may well turn out an inescapable label on the pictorial part of American history.

"Interpretive portraiture covering popular and political culture"!?? WTF is that?
Who give's a rats a**. She is still a mediocre photographer weather shooting political figures or Whoopi Goldberg in a bath of milk.

Sep 26 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

I think she's over-rated. She doesn't suck, but her work doesn't scream greatness either.

I am a fan of this photo, though...

https://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Keys/6624/KOBEREC.GIF

Sep 26 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

she has some nice work....not all of it screams.  but theres some good ones in there for sure.

ive heard shes pretty nasty to work for.

and didnt she get her success from some kind of connection?  like her father was the publisher of rolling stone....i think i heard something like that.  could be wrong.

like her work or not.....shes doing it.  i know her name.....she doesnt know mine.

Sep 26 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

annie had an exhibit at the pac design center (los angeles) last year.  when you can get up close and see her work beyond a book it takes on a whole different dimension. 

more importantly, it is clear how her approach is anything but, let's take a picture.  many of her stylings would still not be thought of had she not done it first.  it's hard to think that anyone considering themself a photographer wouldn't view her work as an inspiration and at the modern forefront of imaging people.

--face reality

Sep 26 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

jason messer wrote:
she has some nice work....not all of it screams.  but theres some good ones in there for sure.

and didnt she get her success from some kind of connection?  like her father was the publisher of rolling stone....i think i heard something like that.  could be wrong.

like her work or not.....shes doing it.  i know her name.....she doesnt know mine.

In 1970, out of art school and looking for work, she responded to a classified ad for a photographer placed by Jan Wenner who was then just starting his pop music sheet--Rolling Stone.

Sep 26 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

jason messer wrote:

Her father was an Air Force lieutenant. The story goes... In 1970, a friend suggested she take her prints to Rolling Stone. Jann Wenner, the magazine's founder, was impressed by Leibovitz's photos. Then began giving her assignments, paying her $47 a week. She became the mag's principal photog and was with them for ten years.

Sep 26 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Jack D Trute wrote:
A stretch, don't you think?
I do know the film.  I do not however see what that film has to do with the quality of her photographic career.

The point is that too many here are too linear.

A thread on Leibovitz where someone mentions the Stones tour can (or could) shift you to thinking about a photographer (Robert Frank) you probably have not thought about for a long time, if at all. In this film (Cocksucker Blues) Leibovitz is unknown and the only photographer of that era that photographed people "doing something" was Philippe Halsman who published his book of celebrities like Nixon and Monroe jumping. When Leibovitz got famous a contemporary of hers (pehaps you may know of him) called Gregory Heisler went public and direct in an American Photo article about the fact that until Leibovitz came around you could calmly take a person's portrait being themselves. Now photographers had to photograph people doing something to capture their essence. It was a bitter diatribe by an excellent photographer.

But it would seem that here in MM one has to go to the point immediately and when that fails a few four-letter words here or there can improve the mix. And when that fails one can say something cute and end it with that LOL that has lost (for me anyway) any meaning.

It also seems that either people are deadly serious or overly light. There is no common medium.

With so much mediocre photography to be seen these days and so much of it in on line porfolio sites like this one, to hear you guys lambaste Annie Leibovitz for being mediocre and successful simply does  smack of outright and bitter jealousy.

I read enough threads where many here (and not only the man on the bar stool) did nothing to defend the qualities of Penn or Avedon. Now these names are brought up as a positive contrast to a negative Leibovitz.

When Leibovitz took her famous pictures in the 70s and 80s, including her American Express ads, she was using a technique that few used at the time. She hauled (okay her assistants did) a large softbox into a desert/sundown situation and then she would underexpose her background by one stop or two. This technique is now everywhere, but at the time it was kind of new. Few could afford large lights that could be powered by generators in the dessert. But now many if not all of you can do a contemporary Leibovitz. But you are forgetting her pioneering work.

That she was able to secure a contract with Vanity Fair speaks a lot about her ability to communicate her skills verbally to the people who hired her. A photographer is not only good if he or she is good. He or she has to also have verbal people skills. Many here lack them, and too easily resort to insult and profanity. You can be good but if nobody hires you, nobody will know how good you are.

In a country (your US) which is capitalistic society, success of those who come from the bottom, who then make it to the top should be celebrated and not denigrated with the epithet of mediocre.

I have in my mind Leibovitz's photo of John Belushi hitchhiking on the side of the road and I see a photograph in which the technical aspect plays second fiddle to a well executed and original idea. It is a very good photograph that to me is the essential John Belushi.

Too many here are critical without having done their homework. Do you homework (ever so easy with search engines, you don't have to go to the library anymore) and you might just become less bitter and perhaps then a better photographer.

That Annie Leibovitz has served as an inspiration to the original poster of this thread is enough to place her over many other photographers.
Alexwh

Sep 26 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

WOW some of you remind me of high school barbies talking in the rest room about the new chick. Nasty nasty nasty!

Sep 26 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

LITHIUM PICNIC studio

Los Angeles, California, US

i'm a fan.

Sep 26 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
Ah,  nasty mediocrity rares it's ugly head.
But this is a lesson on how to suckseed in business,  Be a nasty bitch,  be mediocre with skill, and shoot for the stars, or it that shoot with the stars with nothing to say but cheezy shots with okay lighting.
She plays the game better than the others.
Did she ever have anything to say besides her first years of shooting?

obviously much more successful than I am,
But I am still allowed to think she is just mediocre
if not just straight out suck.

interesting thoughts Ms. Jackie.. 

not to specificaly bash annie... but my general observation with 'celebrity photogs'.. is generally this...

if the subject was NOT a celebrity.. would the photo stand on its own most of the time ?.... quite often....."not really'...

sometimes the ONLY thing that makes a celebrity photo of any interest is that there is a recognizable face in the photo of a recognizable celebrity out of their usual element.....

Sep 26 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Her photojournalistic stuff from the 70s and early 80's was brilliant.
Some of my favorite photos of all time are her older images from the Rolling Stone (magazine) days; Tammy Wynette, Keith Richards passed out on the floor, Sly Stone in his car, the list goes on.

Now she's simply a great portrait photographer with a million-dollar studio, 12 assistants and lots of free Mamiya & Profoto gear.

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/light … owitz.html

Sep 26 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

For better or for worse this is how it works.

I have had my share of taking intimate portraits (in hotel rooms) of film directors, actors, actresses, musicians and writers.

These people are so used to being photographed that when they first meet you they make up their mind in seconds or perhaps in one long minute if they are going to grant you a good photo session and/or a good interview. I was once present at movie set with Bob Hope and two writers came up to him. To one he granted a 5 minute interview. He looked at the writer I was with and invited us to have lunch in his trailer.

So those first few minutes are crucial. The lighting setup has to be quick, efficient and foolproof. You have to use the little time you have to connect with your subject and get something that just might be different.

Once someone like Leibovitz gets to be famous, her access is not only unlimited but those she photographs then volunteer that extra that helps Annie get her shot, or they simply have no choice. While Annie might have had it tough in those early years, fame has made it easier for her now. That it is easier for her should not be used against her.
Alexwh

Sep 26 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Yep. Here we go... Differing viewpoints. Tell us all, who don't agree, how much we suck, will never amount to be any sort of a photographer and that we should be ashamed of ourselves. Yadda', yadda, yadda'...

I'm off to bed. G'night...

Sep 26 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Rossi Photography wrote:
Yep. Here we go... Differing viewpoints. Tell us all, who don't agree, how much we suck, will never amount to be any sort of a photographer and that we should be ashamed of ourselves. Yadda', yadda, yadda'...

I'm off to bed. G'night...

Hmmm,  when did this become about you?

Sep 26 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
Hmmm,  when did this become about you?

Hmmm... It never was.

Sep 26 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

She ain't no Herb Ritts or Helmut Newton.  At least they will be remembered for their photographs and not who they photographed.

Sep 26 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I find it always astounding that no matter who the famous person is... there are always those who need to find ways to tear them off their pedestal and accrediting those peoples successes to parents, sleeping themself to the top, lucky coincidences and demeaning some technical aspect.

In my "short" but also very successful life that I have lived, I have met a lot of people who have achieved true greatness... and I can tell you that one thing I found that they have in common is to appreciate someone elses success and pay respect to others.

You may not like Ms. Leibovitz substandard technical applications, but she also had after a while a huge crew working for her where her gear was carried in two 18 wheelers or so... totally overkill what concerns me...

I love the content of a photograph more than the perfect technical aspect, with the perfect lighting etc... a grainy, gritty photograph of someone who has made history and achieved greatness is so much more worth to me than a perfectly lit and photoshopped portrait of just another pretty model.

Being able to be and connect with certain people is a great interpersonal skill of a great photographer whose images speak to people... not to technical analysts.

Sep 26 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

How on earth did THIS of all things turn into a cat fight?

Annie's photos are wonderful and have served as a great inspiration to my work as well.  No need for people who disagree to get up in arms.  That she's influenced some people is enough.

Sep 26 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:
She ain't no Herb Ritts or Helmut Newton.  At least they will be remembered for their photographs and not who they photographed.

that is a positive way of putting it.
Kudos.

Sep 26 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:

Kurt in the above statement you could be right or wrong.

You put forth no evidence to back your statement. It is simply a two sentence uttering that has no meaning and does not add or detract from this thread. Research the woman, study some of her pictures and use one, or two as evidence for your statement. If you don't it is simply a waste of hot air.
Alexwh

Sep 26 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:

One of the most famous female photographers of the 20th century was Margaret Burke-White. She shot the first cover for the first issue of Life. She was the first photographer (of any sex) to fly in a bomber in a bombing run over Germany. One of her most famous photographs is of about to be liberated Jewish prisoners in Germany.

Yet she is remembered ( I stress this here) for one photograph she took of Mahatma Gandhi spinning.
Alexwh

Sep 26 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

alexwh wrote:

Kurt in the above statement you could be right or wrong.

You put forth no evidence to back your statement. It is simply a two sentence uttering that has no meaning and does not add or detract from this thread. Research the woman, study some of her pictures and use one, or two as evidence for your statement. If you don't it is simply a waste of hot air.
Alexwh

Since you wanted a more detailed answer, here it is. 

I have been following her career from the 1980's, so I think I can speak with some authority.  When I look at any of Annie's photos I think pop culture and I think "thats a nice portrait".  When I look at Herb Ritts or Helmut Newton's work I'm inspired.  Something I can't say about Annie's work.  She just is not at the level of either Herb or Helmut.

Sep 26 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

alexwh wrote:

One of the most famous female photographers of the 20th century was Margaret Burke-White. She shot the first cover for the first issue of Life. She was the first photographer (of any sex) to fly in a bomber in a bombing run over Germany. One of her most famous photographs is of about to be liberated Jewish prisoners in Germany.

Yet she is remembered ( I stress this here) for one photograph she took of Mahatma Gandhi spinning.
Alexwh

I'd be willing to bet that most people know the photograph of Mahatma Gandhi but not the photographer.  So Annie ends up in that category and that will be her place in history.

Sep 26 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

show me something you've shot that has a prayer of being as expressive and in command as your least favorite shot of Ms. Leibovitz'. otherwise talk through your hat about your peers instead... the rumor of her demise is greatly exaggerated as well.

Sep 26 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:

Since you wanted a more detailed answer, here it is. 

I have been following her career from the 1980's, so I think I can speak with some authority.  When I look at any of Annie's photos I think pop culture and I think "thats a nice portrait".  When I look at Herb Ritts or Helmut Newton's work I'm inspired.  Something I can't say about Annie's work.  She just is not at the level of either Herb or Helmut.

Again there is no content here or an explanation as why the photos do not move you. More sentences, but still not content.

To be clear from what I have written up to know about Leibovitz you might not notice that nowhere did I say I liked her work or  not. I mentioned liking one photograph and that's it.

I just cannot abide caustic statements that are not followed by any explanations.

While I may not pick up Vanity Fair at all (I never did after the stopped using Irvin Penn on the covers) they (at Vanity Fair) must surely know something about Leibovitz's photography to have given her so much space.

I love Helmut Newton because he always made me look twice. He always put a dissonant note somwhere in his photograph. He challenge my idea of sexuality. I loved his big nudes.

Herb Ritts, the LA Herb Ritts was an LA photographer who photographed the LA glitteratti and did a lot to make gay people look almost okay to conservative Americans. He did this by using broad lighting that never hinted at darker corners or anything that may have been lurking like AIDS.

What I wrote above could be and probably is total BS but at least I am using some sort of qualifier for my opinion.
Alexwh

Sep 26 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

alexwh wrote:

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:
What I wrote above could be and probably is total BS but at least I am using some sort of qualifier for my opinion.
Alexwh

And you complain about hot air?

Sep 26 06 10:58 pm Link