Forums > General Industry > Location hunting. Found a gem!

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Share your hidden gems too! I'm not asking you to give away your spots... Just share how you came upon a rare find like this one.

Being new to Southern California, I had no idea where I was gonna take my model from Phoenix when she arrives on Oct. 6th. So, yesterday I went for a drive. North. Wound up in Death Valley. That was a long fucking drive.

But, along the way I plotted points of interest on my map. Dry lake bed here, sand dune there. Found some really cool shit. But the real high point of the road trip, was when I pulled off US 395 to head towards a dry lake that looked promising when I noticed the State of California Historical marker. "Ghost Town 3 miles ---->"

The marker noted that the last known resident left/died in the 1970's and the town has been deserted ever since. Well, uppon arrival there was in fact one lone resident. I think he was a squatter. (There are old habitable buildings all over the place.) He looked and talked like Billy Bob Thorton in Sling Blade.

Anyhow, I got out and started talking to him. He said "Suuuuure. Come on down and shoot. Shoot all the photos you want!" He started showing me around and through all of the old buildings. A jail, an old schoolhouse, there's even a gallow and a graveyard. For those of you from Phoenix, think CJ's Studios, only authentic.. And it wasn't a tourist trap like Calico.

But the real fucking awesome part of this find is that there is an old truck at the location that belonged to Charlie Manson. I did a little research on the net when I got home last night and I'm convinced he wasn't bullshitting me. And even if he was BSing me, I'm convinced.

So, I cannot wait for this model to get here. This is gonna be an awesome, awesome shoot... And for the safety nuts out there. I'm gonna be packing heat, just in case this guy is like Norman Bates. And we're not going alone.

Sep 24 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

John... I have been to the town that you speak of. At least it sounds like one I was in. I grew up in CA and did several camping trips out to Death Valley. Be sure and post pics from the shoot.

~Rob

Sep 24 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

damn john, stop at my place on the way there, I'll bring a coupla models and we'll have a round robin shoot em up...

lol

Sep 25 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

John, I recently took a detailed trip from San Diego into Death Valley from the south, up to Rhyolite in the northeast. It was a wonderful trip. I have lots of notes on ghost towns and natural hot springs I can share with you. These are things I have been searching for, for many years, both by ground and with my Cessna.

There is another "Living Ghost Town" you should check out on your way back, near Palmdale called Randsburg. 

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ci … =5&style=0

Here are a few photos of my death valley trip, round trip from San Diego:

http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/desertflowers
http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/peggysue

And yes, Charles Manson was active at the south end of Death Valley, at least. He did his cult things in some abandoned miners caves near the town of Shoshone just southeast of the park border. Those are the "Photo Aibu" caves in the photos above.

Send me a message if you want me to pinpoint some other nice places to stop.

WGR said we are supposed to meet you for a visit in San Diego

Death Valley park itself has become pretty sterile and the park service is very exploitative of tourists. All the great old towns and structures are gone now. Around the edges are still good.

I don't know if this is the same truck you are referring to, but it's reputed to also have been abandoned by Charlie Manson in Ballarat in 1969. I think his group probably stole lots of vehicles.

https://home.earthlink.net/~ghosttowns/dv/dvwest/image011.jpg

Click Hamilton

Sep 25 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Seriously? You're more than welcome to tag along! It's gonna be a weekend-long trip. Day 1 (Saturday Oct 7th), we're shooting at the ghost town, then on Day 2 (Sunday Oct 8th) we're going to shoot at El Mirage Dry Lake. You're more than welcome to tag along on both days or just one of the days. Whatever works for you. I think the ghost town is definitely gonna be a winner. Friday night we're going to be staying in Ridgecrest. E-mail me (or call.. number's in my port) if you wanna go with. Bring some models if you want too. The more the merrier.

Sep 25 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Ridgecreat is always my base of operations for DV. And Trona And the pinnicales are just a few miles down the road too. And about 50 miles north are the petrified waterfalls. All Black slick rock. then further North is the wonderful area of Lone Pine and the Alabama hills.
Mike

Sep 25 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
John, I recently took a detailed trip from San Diego into Death Valley from the south, up to Rhyolite in the northeast. It was a wonderful trip. I have lots of notes on ghost towns and natural hot springs I can share with you. These are things I have been searching for, for many years, both by ground and with my Cessna.

There is another "Living Ghost Town" you should check out on your way back, near Palmdale called Randsburg. 

I don't know if this is the same truck you are referring to, but it's reputed to also have been abandoned by Charlie Manson in Ballarat in 1969. I think his group probably stole lots of vehicles.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ci … =5&style=0

Here are a few photos of my death valley trip, round trip from San Diego:

http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/desertflowers
http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/peggysue

And yes, Charles Manson was active at the south end of Death Valley, at least. He did his cult things in some abandoned miners caves near the town of Shoshone just southeast of the park border. Those are the "Photo Aibu" caves in the photos above.

Send me a message if you want me to pinpoint some other nice places to stop.

WGR said we are supposed to meet you for a visit in San Diego

Click Hamilton

Death Valley park itself has become pretty sterile and the park service is very exploitative of tourists. All the great old towns and structures are gone now. Around the edges are still good.

Well.. This just got interesting. Wonder if there would be any interest in pooling some money together and renting a van or something and going on a Bobby Sargent style photo road trip?..

Sep 25 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

Click Hamilton

Yep. That's the truck! Perhaps this town isn't quite as hidden as I thought.

Sep 25 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I recently "discovered" a fabulous spot: my basement. I've lived in this building for four years, but only recently shot my first model down there.

https://stevemelvin.com/rain/slides/IMG_3979.JPG

Shot it again last weekend (nudity):

http://stevemelvin.com/amyrose/slides/600IMG_5414.html

You can't beat old buildings.

Sep 25 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

John Jebbia wrote:
Well.. This just got interesting. Wonder if there would be any interest in pooling some money together and renting a van or something and going on a Bobby Sargent style photo road trip?..

Haha ... the models can act out as ga-ga-groupies and we can do cult stuff.

Since it's Death Valley, we can eat beans out of a can and have some fun lighting farts around the campfire. I think my 5D can handle the natural light of the methane flames.

BTW, my guest was from Tokyo. She always challenges me to give her abnormal experiences when she visits. This time, we took our clothes off at the "Welcome To Death Valley" sign in the south by Shoshone for some mock Japanese style tourist photos (naked, Click Hamilton style), then she was further suprised and pleased to find out my trip rules were to remain naked all the way through Death Valley, until we woke up a day and a half later in the ghost town of Rhyolite. We stopped for naked photos at many of the usual tourist spots ... Devils Golf Course, etc. ... it was a fun challenge.

When she got back to Tokyo, her office manager said we are disgusting and total perverts.

Life is sweet.

Sep 25 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

John Jebbia wrote:
Yep. That's the truck! Perhaps this town isn't quite as hidden as I thought.

Oops! ... did I just let another secret tourist trap location out of the bag?

Sep 25 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Click Hamilton wrote:

Since it's Death Valley, we can eat beans out of a can and have some fun lighting farts around the campfire. I think my 5D can handle the natural light of the methane flames.

BTW, my guest was from Tokyo. She always challenges me to give her abnormal experiences when she visits. This time, we took our clothes off at the "Welcome To Death Valley" sign in the south by Shoshone for some mock Japanese style tourist photos (naked, Click Hamilton style), then she was further suprised and pleased to find out my trip rules were to remain naked all the way through Death Valley, until we woke up a day and a half later in the ghost town of Rhyolite. We stopped for naked photos at many of the usual tourist spots ... Devils Golf Course, etc. ... it was a fun challenge.

When she got back to Tokyo, her office manager said we are disgusting and total perverts.

Life is sweet.

now that sounds like a fun experience to me.

Sep 25 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

John Jebbia wrote:

I have a 4WD honda Element.
Mike

Sep 25 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

John, when you have time to drive a little further, check out this ghost town:

http://www.pbase.com/zeroscan/bodie2

Sep 25 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

Life is sweet.

I once drove from Yuma to San Diego butt naked with a model. So, I'm not afraid to join in the naked festivities by any means. How about a vanload of naked photogs and models. First photog to get a hard-on loses and has to walk.

Sep 25 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Mike Walker wrote:
I have a 4WD honda Element.
Mike

How many models and photogs w/ gear could we move with that?

Sep 25 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

John Jebbia wrote:
I once drove from Yuma to San Diego butt naked with a model. So, I'm not afraid to join in the naked festivities by any means. How about a vanload of naked photogs and models. First photog to get a hard-on loses and has to walk.

Haha. Walking out of Death Valley can be difficult

Maybe the Burning Man event would be fun for you.

Welcome to California

Sep 25 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Antonella Castaldo

Apple Valley, California, US

hey everyone,
I just noticed the talk you guys have here and took a look... I must say that the place called Bodie is amazing....do you know if people can get into those rooms without any problems?....is that an area with free access or you need to talk to someone before shooting?...please let me know so I can go there next week for a shoot....thank you!

Sep 25 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

YeagerVision

Los Angeles, California, US

How hidden can a ghost town be if there's a sign?  You're more likely to be hassled by the cops as by slingblade boy.  If you're caught with a concealed weapon, you'll be taking shots of Bubba.  Be carefull.....

Sep 25 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Antonella Castaldo

Apple Valley, California, US

should i get scared now?

Sep 25 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Winn Photographics wrote:
John... I have been to the town that you speak of. At least it sounds like one I was in. I grew up in CA and did several camping trips out to Death Valley. Be sure and post pics from the shoot.

~Rob

Ditto

Sep 25 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

no no no.... bodie is all screwed now; they have made it a state landmark, and it's guarded by state rangers.. they have made it so you can only enter through the front gate (yep it's like an amuzement part entrance).

They are only open at certain times, and all the houses and churches are barred shut. The most impressive and wonderful feature... an old saw mill.... is actually fenced in and unapproachible.

No if you go that far north, it's better to shoot at mono lake.

Sep 25 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

hey John, weren't you shooting with miya on one of those days?

Sep 25 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

there's an abandoned train station on rt 12 near napa, schelleville or something

took some crappy shots at the end of a long day

http://www.lotusimages.com/railroad/

there is a building there too, depot

Sep 25 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

John Jebbia wrote:

How many models and photogs w/ gear could we move with that?

Only seats 4 people but lots of room for gear still. ADn it it 4WD..most important for desert shoots~!
Mike

Sep 25 06 09:26 am Link