Forums > General Industry > Saved from a flake?

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Wow...I see both sides of this.  As a model, personally, I would be insulted by the request for a deposit.  Not dissimilar from what she said, either you trust me or you don't.  If you don't, don't shoot with me.  Having said that, I have never missed a shoot.  It's a job so you treat it like one.

On the other hand, if you are getting burned left and right, you do need to do something to bring the situation under control.  I don't know if the desposit is the answer or perhaps only shooting with models who have good references from other photographers.

Not an easy question, and probably not an easy answer.

Sep 24 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Thayer Photographic

Kentwood, Michigan, US

Reverend D-Ray wrote:
Just one question though. Do you have potential wedding clients give you a deposit?

absolutely, and it's non refundable.

Sep 24 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Richard Tallent wrote:

Unfortunately, about 60% in July and 75% in August.

TFCD in September, 3 out of 8 so far last-minute cancelled or flaked. All three had good reasons but have not communicated since to reschedule, so I'm calling BS and will require a deposit in the future from them if we reschedule for November.

Good grief! well, I owe you an apology on that score. I've only had a few flakes in my time.. that kind of record would make anyone cautious.

Sep 24 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Some of you people are unbelievable. A piece of work. This isn't a complicated issue here. If the model flakes or don't flake, the photographer doesn't loose here. He or she is either getting a model who is going to be there or a flake who isn't and has lost his or her money. There's nothing else to this. No hidden agendas. So why the dramatic responses from some of the dramaqueen photographers? It's if some of you have found some secret hidden messages in the man's post. I bet some of you on here have read the Divinci Code.

Sep 24 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Man!  I just hate these photographer-model conflicts that are managed so poorly.  Some thoughts:

Deposits:  So, for a TFP/TFCD sitting, the photographer asks for a deposit to insure that the model doesn't flake & that she shows up on time.  So, I guess that means that when she shows up, she gets her deposit back.  Okay.  Since it is a TFP/TFCD agreement, is it then okay for the model to walk away from the sitting with a deposit from the photographer -- that deposit will be returned to the photographer when he delivers the agreed-upon number of images in the agreed-upon format?  Or more to the point:  for you photographers who ask for an anti-flake insurance policy:  how would you feel about giving the model a deposit that she'll hold until you deliver the images you promise her?

I spent $10,000 on photography equipment...  So what?  That's stuff you own and that you will continue to own after your sitting with the model.  If you are a professional photographer, you get to deduct the costs & can depreciate the equipment.  Meanwhile, the model, who is probably very young & hasn't accumulated much wealth yet, is not earning anything from her time with you (other than some images that may or may not be any good and that may or may not be delivered).  She has to find the time (away from a paying job or other obligations) to visit you.  She has wardrobe, make-up, transportation costs.  Further, you get to retain the copyright to the images you make with the model -- she can't make a dime off of those images, while you can.  So, I say, "so what?"  You both have expenses; yours might be higher than hers, but it is likely that you have more earning power than she does. 

Flakes Happen:  I believe that flakes happen, and that some individuals are just likely to flake.  But I wonder whether the photographer has done all he can to insure that the model is motivated to get there.  Some ideas:
   >>>  Is the model enthused & excited about the sitting?
   >>>  Has the photographer checked the model's references?
   >>>  Is the model happy about the compensation?
   >>>  Has the agreement been clearly articulated & documented?
In short, what (besides demanding a deposit) are you doing to improve your chances that the model will show up?

My bottom line:  do what you want, but in my book, any photographer who asks for a deposit is initiating a non-productive working relationship.  The deposit is an early impression, and it says "I don't trust you, and I am more important than you."  Good luck with that.

I rarely (almost never) do TFP/TFCD -- I think it is a raw deal for the model and is counterproductive to my objectives for the sitting.  I do mostly nude photography, and I'm happy to pay the model.  That way, I feel that I am in charge and that we are working on concepts that I want to work on.  Often, models enjoy the results & have often used the images we make together for their portfolio.  But since a) I'm trying to create new art (as opposed to boilerplate portraits), and b) I retain the copyright, I'd rather pay the model.  I typically earn enough money from the images to compensate me for her modeling fees. 

It is my objective from every sitting that the model leaves feeling appreciated & respected.  By paying her, she is better incented to show up, she feels appreciated, and she is less likely to flake.  If I were to ask her to pose for free and to give me a deposit to ensure that she shows up, she certainly won't feel respected or trusted (see the model's comments in the original post).

FWIW:  I have never experienced a flake.

I just don't have the time to do TFP or to be "hired" by models -- there's just so many hours in the day, and my creativity consumes enough already.

Here's the problem with your point of view here. You are only looking at it from one angle. If you are working on a personal or a project, then yes I can see you paying. But like photographers, models too are looking to add to thier portfolio. Tfcd or tfp isn't a raw deal when both aren't in the position to crank out some notes here, which is why this site and other areas have networking. This helps those to get from point A to point B. It's not a raw deal nor is it a complicated thing to comprehend.

Sep 24 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I haven't done this policy myself, but have had a few cases where I've arranged an MUA and had the model not show up, or literally show up at the end of the planned shoot time in which case was as good as a cancel.  I still paid the MUA - because I felt that was only fair to her.  So in light of that, I can agree to that the model should at least deposit the amount of costs.  If she doesn't so - then it's her money being thrown down the drain - not mine.

Sep 24 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

Stick to your policy and ask for a deposit. The only reason why I don't ask for one is that find that I still have too much free time without a shoot.

With TFP, I find myself giving away too much to models that lose interest very quickly or flake most of the time.

Sep 24 06 09:54 pm Link