Forums > General Industry > I could use a little help...

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I'm currently developing the site for Paramour Productions.  On the "featured shoots" pages I don't know which way to go with the video (just behind the scenes - not adult).  I was compressing with QT H.264 as was getting great quality with decent file sizes but some folks are still reporting that it took a long time to load.  To bring the load time down, the quality really suffered.  I then figured I would just go back to encoding MPEG-4, but for giggles I tried encoding it as a flash movie.  It looks pretty damn good on my system, once loaded (otherwise can be a tad jumpy).  A buddy of mine in Dever says it looks great to him, but he's on the same system as me and they're relatively powerful, especially for graphics.  I fired up a PC and checked it out there, I seem to be getting some pixelation in the dark areas, but over all not bad.  Another friend viewed it on an old macbook and said it looked awful. 

So, if you would be so kind to take a look at it and let me know 1) how it looks on your system and 2) about how long it took to load, I would really appreciate it!

The direct link to the page is:

http://www.paramourproductions.com/feat … beach.html

Thanks again,

Matt

Sep 22 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Darren R Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Loaded almost straight away and was of a decent quality on my laptop which is 2.6GHz and 512MB of RAM

Sep 22 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Did you notice a lot of pixelation?  Was the motion smooth or jumpy?  Was the color good (appeared accurate and with good saturation)?

Sorry for all the questions but while I've been working in video for a while, I'm new to flash...

Matt

Sep 22 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

Paramour Productions wrote:
Did you notice a lot of pixelation?  Was the motion smooth or jumpy?  Was the color good (appeared accurate and with good saturation)?

Sorry for all the questions but while I've been working in video for a while, I'm new to flash...

Matt

I'm running a fairly normal system.... I'm not sure of the Ghz, but i do have a gig of ram. The video looked smooth and clear.  It did take a while to load, but I've been having some connection issues with my cable company today, so that could just be on my end

Sep 22 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Darren R Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Paramour Productions wrote:

Matt

Hello could not answer yesterday as the site crashed.

Right yes there was some pixilation BUT it was minor and did not detract from the viewing of the clip. The motion was smooth and the colours appeared to be quite accurate.

Hope this is a help to you
Darren

Sep 23 06 04:16 am Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Video was crisp and clear....loaded almost instantly! Great stuff!

Sep 23 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Loaded fast and looked great! Very impressive.

Sep 23 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Photog Pablo

Alamogordo, New Mexico, US

Vid looked good, loaded fast and played cleanly. No pixelation or excessive noise. I thought it to be a top quality piece. BTW, I'm on the web with a box stock pc....

Nice shoot...

Sep 23 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments.  I think I'm going to stick with Flash for these types of videos on the site - it seems to be the best over all compromise between load times, quality and compatibility.  I'll be shooting another next week, hopefully that will confirm this.

Sep 23 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Keep in mind, some people are still running Pentium 466, etc....I was until about a month ago. Unless I knew there was a video on a page, and had the chance to close all other programs, it locked up my computer.
There are tons of people still using slow computers.

Sep 23 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Iris Swope wrote:
Keep in mind, some people are still running Pentium 466, etc....I was until about a month ago. Unless I knew there was a video on a page, and had the chance to close all other programs, it locked up my computer.
There are tons of people still using slow computers.

Yep, that's another reason I'm trying flash, much smaller file and load time versus say a QT file compressed with H.264 (which delivers stunning quality).

Sep 23 06 06:11 pm Link