Forums > General Industry > Artist sues over use of Bull in ads and photos

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Arturo Di Modica is suing Wal Mart and others for selling images of his bull.  Others for use of the Bull in Ads.

The charging bull often known as the Wall Street Bull The 3 1/2 ton bronze statue of a "Charging Bull" was sculptor Arturo Di Modica's artistic statement about the stock market's Black Monday in Oct 1987. Without permission, Di Modica placed the bull on Wall Street in 1989. It was moved a few blocks southwest to Bowling Green Park at the end of  Broadway.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4205019.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … s&refer=us

http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/64522

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/get … onNo==7145

Sep 22 06 11:24 am Link

Artist/Painter

Ronnie Werner

Portland, Oregon, US

Burnished Bull Balls!

Sep 22 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Good for him.

Sep 22 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

I am not a expert in this situation,but it is his creation so it should his right to sue.But why  suddenly now I have seen that bull statue used more than once  befor this and never heard any complaint about it from him.

An another interesting item along the same line refers to the painting called "American Gothic" of a farmer and wife ,both thin and pale standing in front of house.Done in the 20's or 30's.A  few years back a photographer/artist used the woman's image from the original painting using her face but did her nude in one of his own works,thinking she was obviously dead by now and had no legal claim to the image.Surprise,she was still alive and kicking and sued.When she had posed for the original painting she was a young girl.

Sep 22 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

stan wigmore photograph,

Thankyou for the answer. 

(not sure why moved to off topic, like what are you smokin in the back room?)( Will delete comment when restored to proper place)

This topic is so central to much of what we all do,  ownership, copyright, rights to reproduce images, etc.

How can this not be On topic?

Sep 22 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

I hope does not sue me, I have many photographs of the big bronzer.

Sep 22 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
I hope does not sue me, I have many photographs of the big bronzer.

What language would you like that translated to?

Sep 23 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

If the artist wins then will this have an effect on the use of artwork in images even in the backgrounds of shots?

Sep 23 06 08:33 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

R0nni3 wrote:
Burnished Bull Balls!

Say that five times fast.

Sep 23 06 09:10 am Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

not a bull but(t)...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/sinsazia/disappointed.bmp

Sep 23 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Okay, I know that I make jokes often.

The line about the bull balls was taken right from a website.
I do think this case will be interesting to watch for photographers and artists.
Property rights and usage of artwork in images and ads is at stake.

Sep 23 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

playing devil's advocate here...

so this guy, despite any financial investment he put into this sculpture, made some art, and usd a forklift to plop it in the middle of public (and highly visible) property.  If photographers can legally take pictures of people and places that are in public, what makes the sculpture any different?  It's not like its being sheilded by a private gallery.He obviously wanted this to be seen and to become a symbol or statement available to the public.  That's exactly what it's become.  If he wanted to profit from it, maybe he should have either not put it right on Broadway, or sold it to the city.  (it is currently on loan to the city parks service, I believe)  After 17 years of this sculpture being public domain, how can he come back now and ask for compensation for it?

Sep 23 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Yes,  good point.
The point that he never asked permission to do this in the first place is interesting.
Not sure if that will have any legal leverage in the case.

But not sure if he should be penalized that it has become such an icon.
He did make it and it is accepted now.

Not sure if he is trying to make a profit from the sale of images as much as stop others from doing so.

Reminds me somewhat of the ban on photography of the Flatiron building in NY.

Sep 23 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I would be amazed if he doesn't win a suit against commercial advertisers who are prominently using his art in their ads.  It will be interesting to follow the case, but I certainly feel he has a good one.

Sep 23 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Jack D Trute wrote:
Reminds me somewhat of the ban on photography of the Flatiron building in NY.

I like that parallel!

Jack D Trute wrote:
Not sure if he is trying to make a profit from the sale of images as much as stop others from doing so.

Interesting image!  The creator of the icon that could arguably be one of the most famous associated with wealth and profit in a lawsuit to restrict that profit. wink

Sep 23 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

American Gothic is of a man and his sister...

Sep 23 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

Star wrote:
American Gothic is of a man and his sister...

Well, well, well. A little testy aren't we.

Actually the image is of a man and his unmarried daughter. The models were the artist's dentist and (his) sister.

Don't you think we look immature, rather than knowledgeable for pursuing this line of discussion?

Sep 23 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

mad city fine arts wrote:
Interesting image!  The creator of the icon that could arguably be one of the most famous associated with wealth and profit in a lawsuit to restrict that profit. wink

Yes, that part is funny.

Sep 23 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

Burnished bull's balls lover's unite!

http://bullsballs.com

Sep 23 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Aesthete Studios wrote:
Burnished bull's balls lover's unite!

http://bullsballs.com

Anything to add to the topic?
That was not even funny.

Sep 23 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

After 17 years of this sculpture being public domain, how can he come back now and ask for compensation for it?

(Not to you specifically, mcf, but in general.)

Because in the US, you can pretty much sue anybody for anything. Whether it goes to court or not is a different story.

I myself did a parody of some public art here in San Diego some time ago. I made posters of it and distributed them around town. The institution that owned the art basically threatened to suck my brains out with a straw and saute them.

They didn't have jack to stand on but it still cost me several thousand dollars to have an attorney write "fuck you" letters.

Anyway, this will be interesting to see what happens.

Sep 24 06 02:20 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Chip Morton wrote:

(Not to you specifically, mcf, but in general.)

Because in the US, you can pretty much sue anybody for anything. Whether it goes to court or not is a different story.

I myself did a parody of some public art here in San Diego some time ago. I made posters of it and distributed them around town. The institution that owned the art basically threatened to suck my brains out with a straw and saute them.

They didn't have jack to stand on but it still cost me several thousand dollars to have an attorney write "fuck you" letters.

Anyway, this will be interesting to see what happens.

That's the best point made in this thread yet, I think.  Yeah... so often you hear about a new ridiculous lawsuit... but never that they won, or even made it to the bench.

Sep 24 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

ArtisticDigitalImages wrote:

Well, well, well. A little testy aren't we.

Actually the image is of a man and his unmarried daughter. The models were the artist's dentist and (his) sister.

Don't you think we look immature, rather than knowledgeable for pursuing this line of discussion?

No but someone looks like a bit of a...

I'm not sayin who....

(whistlin)

So who wants to recreate Christina's world with a hongkong/blade runner city background?

Sep 24 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

https://www.dealbreaker.com/images/entries/wall_bull1.jpg

It's not that North Fork and WalMart are using a photograph of the bull, they've made logos from its likeness.

Sep 24 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

If photographers can legally take pictures of people and places that are in public, what makes the sculpture any different?

After 17 years of this sculpture being public domain, how can he come back now and ask for compensation for it?

It is not a public domain work.  He still posesses the copyright to it.  There is a statue of Popeye in Chester, Illinois, but that doesn't mean anyone can take photos of it and claim ownership of the character.

Sep 24 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

UCPhotog

Hartford, Connecticut, US

Long post and then I re-read some of the info, so I had to change it.

Sep 24 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

Jack D Trute wrote:
Arturo Di Modica is suing Wal Mart and others for selling images of his bull.  Others for use of the Bull in Ads.

The charging bull often known as the Wall Street Bull The 3 1/2 ton bronze statue of a "Charging Bull" was sculptor Arturo Di Modica's artistic statement about the stock market's Black Monday in Oct 1987. Without permission, Di Modica placed the bull on Wall Street in 1989. It was moved a few blocks southwest to Bowling Green Park at the end of  Broadway.

I find it very interesting because my main photo on my website use to be an image with me riding the bull!!!  Everyone loved it!!!

Sep 24 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

UCPhotog wrote:
Long post and then I re-read some of the info, so I had to change it.

That's too bad; I thought was you had to say was thought-provoking...

Sep 24 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Because the bull was left without permission in a public place, does that make it vandalism?

Is artistic vandalism copyrighted as other art is?  If I take photos of graffiti, can I use the photos commercially without permission of the artist?

Sep 24 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

TRIPOD

Interesting thread.
First, does Modica have copyright on all 'charging bulls', or just the one that closely resembles his?  If so, who decides if the bull in question is a copy of the 'wall street' bull, or a generic charging bull?  Art critics? Art historians? Lawyers?  Supreme Court?

Second, public domain is tricky.  One poster stated that since its been in a public space for 17 years it should be public domain.  I think public domain doesn't go into effect for a lot longer than that.

Third, it does have implications for us.  For example, 'what comes around, goes around'.  Warhol obviously used iconic images for his lithographic series (Marilyn, Elvis, Campbell soup, Texaco, etc) but likely didn't have permission.  But if I were to use his images, I would get sued.  One poster said that he made copies of art work, and distributed them, pissing off the Art Museum.  But I have a feeling that he would be steamed if I were to copy and distribute his work and call it my own.

Some thoughts.

Matt

Sep 24 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

acidstudios wrote:
Second, public domain is tricky.  One poster stated that since its been in a public space for 17 years it should be public domain.  I think public domain doesn't go into effect for a lot longer than that.

If Disney gets their way (and they're pouring a lot of money into getting they way) nothing made since 1928 will ever enter the public domain.

Sep 24 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Modica won't (Can't)win, just think.  Everytime we use a pic of say the Empire State Building, we have to pay someone.  How about the statue in Columbus Circle?  We'd have to pay for it's use as well.  That would mean ANY building (yes architects are artists) in any pic is therefore copyrighted and must be compensated accordingly.

Give me a fucking break!

You FORCE your "art" upon us, my NYC tax dollars pay to move it to a new location and keep it clean, then you want us to pay you when we take pictures of it?  What kind of crack is the Vandalist smoking?  You dumped it on wallstreet remember?  You disgarded it like someone would disgard a piece of trash.  Now you want money for your trash? 

The city should sue Modica for keeping it for him and should charge him rent for that street corner.  Let's see, it's been there for almost 20 years, how much is that in back rent with compounding interest?

Sep 24 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hamza wrote:
then you want us to pay you when we take pictures of it?

Not at all, he wants people to pay when they use it in commercial advertising.  That's very different from "when we take pictures of it".

Sep 24 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

acidstudios wrote:
who decides if the bull in question is a copy of the 'wall street' bull, or a generic charging bull?

The Supreme Court, if the suit was filed in New York as a state matter.  But this is a copyright case, so it was filed in the US District court, which will make the determination.  And there may be appeals from that decision.

acidstudios wrote:

Public domain isn't that tricky.  The fact that something is accessible to the public does not mean that it is "in the public domain".  The artist owns the copyright, and that copyright is not changed by putting the sculpture into a public place.

Sep 24 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Hamza wrote:
then you want us to pay you when we take pictures of it?

Not at all, he wants people to pay when they use it in commercial advertising.  That's very different from "when we take pictures of it".

So now I'm supposed to pay for every picture I sell of the NYC skyline?  How about a city street depicting the Empire State Building?  Should I have to pay the architect of the building because I am selling a picture and the building is in it?

Give me a fucking break!  Artists!  Pull your heads out of your asses already!

Sep 24 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hamza wrote:
So now I'm supposed to pay for every picture I sell of the NYC skyline?

Who owns the copyright to the NYC skyline?

Answer:  nobody.  Does that give you a hint as to the difference?

Hamza wrote:
How about a city street depicting the Empire State Building?  Should I have to pay the architect of the building because I am selling a picture and the building is in it?

You may, if the building itself is a prominent part of the picture and the message of the picture depends on it.  I don't know if the owners/architect of the ESB have ever asserted copyright, but it's not impossible.  However, there is a difference between utilitarian structures and pieces of art, and copyright law treats them differently.

Also, it's been rather a long time since the Empire State Building was designed, and I don't know if there is still an effective copyright on it.  Perhaps someone else does.

Hamza wrote:
Give me a fucking break!  Artists!  Pull your heads out of your asses already!

Artist, like photographers, make their living by creating and controlling images.  I am astounded that a photographer would not appreciate and support that.

Sep 24 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Ched wrote:
https://www.dealbreaker.com/images/entries/wall_bull1.jpg

It's not that North Fork and WalMart are using a photograph of the bull, they've made logos from its likeness.

What does the bull that modeled for the sculpture have to say?  Or was it butchered for meat already?

This is like saying the statue of liberty creator needs to be paid for a copyright of the use of her likeness.  I know he's long dead, but what's the precedence for this stuff?  Any lawyers in the house?

Sep 24 06 01:05 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Artist, like photographers, make their living by creating and controlling images.  I am astounded that a photographer would not appreciate and support that.

I guess that means he won't mind the proposed changes to the copyright laws currently under review on Capital Hill.

Sep 24 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Mayanlee wrote:
I guess that means he won't mind the proposed changes to the copyright laws currently under review on Capital Hill.

It's absurd. The major media companies are working to make copyright eternal for their properties, while others are working to make the work of the little guy worthless.

One irony here is that Disney made all of their money off of stories in the public domain. But now that Mickey should be in the public domain (he's over 50 years old), they won't have anything to do with it.

Sep 24 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

J n X Photography wrote:
This is like saying the statue of liberty creator needs to be paid for a copyright of the use of her likeness.  I know he's long dead, but what's the precedence for this stuff?  Any lawyers in the house?

The Statue of Liberty was made in 1885.  Typically, anything published before 1923 is public domain.

Sep 24 06 01:11 pm Link