Forums > General Industry > Meeting an Agency for the first time *CASTING CALL

Model

Vincent Vega

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Okay you go to a casting call for an agency heres some questions I have...

What should you bring?
What should you wear?
And what exactly will they be asking?
More importantly what about other models that they have seen maybe last week.... I mean if they have already recruited another model onto their team will they really actually want to consider you?

I've also seen alot of snap shots that were sent in by dudes that have a stronger look and body..... do I (skinny lil wannabie) have a chance agenst them?

Sep 20 06 04:49 pm Link

Model

Vincent Vega

Cleveland, Ohio, US

big_smile

Sep 20 06 05:03 pm Link

Model

Dru

Orlando, Florida, US

That is a tough one man.  A few things you can do though.  What to wear--think of it like this. You are on a job interview.  You will hear some people say that you don't overdress and they want to see you natural.  Well, it is a job interview.  So, you should go in there looking like your comp card.  You want to impress these people,etc.  If you go in there dressed well and professionally, then what is that saying about yourself--you are serious and professional.  Questions they are going to ask--they really don't care too much about you personally.  Just that you will show up on time and can live life on your own.  I wouldn't worry about your body type.  Some really good models weigh 140 lbs. soaking wet.  It is more about your total look--not just a sick body.  I hope some of this helps you out.  Most of it is luck too--right person sees you at the right time.  YOu could have an amazing look, but if they dont need that look at that time, then you have no job.  It is not an easy business but I wish you the best.  Peace

Dru

Sep 20 06 08:14 pm Link

Model

Vincent Vega

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Dru wrote:
That is a tough one man.  A few things you can do though.  What to wear--think of it like this. You are on a job interview.  You will hear some people say that you don't overdress and they want to see you natural.  Well, it is a job interview.  So, you should go in there looking like your comp card.  You want to impress these people,etc.  If you go in there dressed well and professionally, then what is that saying about yourself--you are serious and professional.  Questions they are going to ask--they really don't care too much about you personally.  Just that you will show up on time and can live life on your own.  I wouldn't worry about your body type.  Some really good models weigh 140 lbs. soaking wet.  It is more about your total look--not just a sick body.  I hope some of this helps you out.  Most of it is luck too--right person sees you at the right time.  YOu could have an amazing look, but if they dont need that look at that time, then you have no job.  It is not an easy business but I wish you the best.  Peace

Dru

Thanks for all your help... What if I dont have a comp card and how does one look?

Sep 23 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Vincent Vega wrote:
Okay you go to a casting call for an agency heres some questions I have...

What should you bring?
What should you wear?
And what exactly will they be asking?
More importantly what about other models that they have seen maybe last week.... I mean if they have already recruited another model onto their team will they really actually want to consider you?

I've also seen alot of snap shots that were sent in by dudes that have a stronger look and body..... do I (skinny lil wannabie) have a chance agenst them?

First, let's get the terminology right.  Agencies don't have casting calls, they may have open calls.  Casting calls are to cast jobs for models, not to recruit models for agencies.  If they are calling it a casting call, and it isn't for a specific client job, then it's a red flag.

Second, bring whatever pictures you have.  If all you have is tourist snapshots, and you have time, do some simple snapshots with flat, even lighting and a white wall as a background.  Nothing fancy, nothing complicated.

If they are interested in you, they will have two concerns that they may ask questions to determine:  are you reliable, and are you available.  Professional castings and jobs take place during business hours, Monday to Friday.  If you can't be available for both, easily, it will severely hurt your chances.  And if they get the sense that you aren't reliable and capable of doing what you need to do, that will hurt also.  A lot.

Don't worry about what they saw last week.  If they like your look and think there is a market for you, they will take you.  If they don't, they may make some excuse like "we found a guy just like you last week" - which is just a BS way of saying no.  Also, don't worry about your look in comparison to others.  Either you are marketable or not.  If you are, then you ought to be going to the open call with confidence.  If you aren't, stay home and forget about modeling.  If you aren't sure, go in with confidence and let them decide.  Ultimately it's their decision anyway; don't make it for them by showing a lack of self confidence.

Sep 23 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Vincent Vega wrote:
Thanks for all your help... What if I dont have a comp card and how does one look?

Obviously you haven't been reading newmodels.com

You need to.

If you don't have a comp card, it's too late to worry about it now.  The agency will take care of it if they want you.

Sep 23 06 04:34 pm Link