Forums > General Industry > Model 6'0' Tall

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Sacramento, California, US

I'll be shooting with a model who is six feet tall in a few days. With heels this girl is gonna be 6'3. Tallest model i've shot with before this was 5'8' & most models i've shot with have been more around 5'4'-5'7 range. Any suggestions, general or specific on shots to show off her height and also things to avoid? Anything with be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cole

Sep 18 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Just be aware of the surroundings and how she frames into them..

I know that sounds silly.. But it's true..

I've shot a model who was 6'2" barefoot..  It wasn't really any different.. You hold the camera.. You're in charge of the perspective.. The framing.. 

On the other hand we were shooting at a tram station and at one point she reached up and touched an overhead sign none of us could lay a finger on..

Assume your model is aware of her body (after all she's been in it all her life..)

Let her adjust..

Sep 18 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

An apple box if you're short. Probably wanna avoid making her look like a circus freak. Consider laying off the wide angle lens-close distance combo, but I'm not stating that as a rule. Let your eye be your guide.

EDIT: The "be aware of her surroundings and how she frames into them" above is good advice.

Sep 18 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Sacramento, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
An apple box if you're short. Probably wanna avoid making her look like a circus freak. Consider laying off the wide angle lens-close distance combo, but I'm not stating that as a rule. Let your eye be your guide.

EDIT: The "be aware of her surroundings and how she frames into them" above is good advice.

LOL...i am! i'm only 5'7. i probably should bring something to stand on or i'll always be getting "nose" shot, huh?

Sep 18 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Just be aware of the surroundings and how she frames into them..

This is so true. I also shot a tall model (probably same one as WG. She RULES!!) and I had test shot the set-up about three times. The shot worked with shorter subjects, but the model, as great a person as she is, was too tall. Darn it.

Sep 18 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Chip Morton wrote:

This is so true. I also shot a tall model (Kat, probably same as WG. She RULES!!) and I had test shot the set-up about three times. The shot worked with shorter subjects, but Kat, as great a person as she is, was too tall. Darn it.

I admit I did lots of cheating..

I made her sit down for 90% of the shots... =p

Sep 18 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Lately, I've been experimenting with how high the camera needs to be off the ground.  My current thinking is that the camera should be about hip-high.  If you raise the camera to the model's eye level, then there's a bit of distortion that makes her legs look short & stubby.  Now that I'm aware of that, such images tend to lose a little impact for me.  So, keep the camera low.

Also lately, I've been a big fan of wide angle distortion, and assuming that your model has long limbs, that can be fun.  Exaggerate distortion by moving the camera close to one end of the model & looking at her from unusual angles.  For example, have the model stand on something & place the camera close to her feet, looking up.

Finally, like others said, she'll fill a larger frame, so be aware of how much is getting included in the background.

Have fun.

Sep 18 06 06:56 pm Link