Forums > General Industry > Tattoos and modeling?

Model

Juri

Burtonsville, Maryland, US

I've been debating whether or not I should start getting my tattoo. I know it would have a big affect on modeling, but it's something I've wanted for about 3 years now. I want a tattoo that covers my whole, that outlines my spine, with tribal symbols coming out of it. How would this affect my modeling career? Would it be hard to get many jobs?

Sep 18 06 07:16 am Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

Well it really depends on what kind of modeling you are interested in doing, if you are trying to make a career out of it and where/how big it is.

I have tattoos, and they sure as hell won't help me get a job unless they are looking for models with tattoos....but then again modeling isn't the #1 most important thing in my life.

It really is a personal choice to make, but yes it might affect modeling in some way or another.

Sep 18 06 07:23 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Since your height won't let you do fashion and limits you for commercial modeling, a tattoo like that maybe not much of a problem.

ESPECIALLY when I see fantasy/goth/alternative work in your portfolio... and I think that a great tattoo would eventually get you even more work.

But... "tribal"... hmmm... could be nice, but have you considered a Japanese style tattoo for your back?

Sep 18 06 07:24 am Link

Model

1HotMaMa

Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, US

I think that if you want it get it...I have two tats myself and if they really have a problem with it that is what photoshop is for!!
Tammy

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Tattoos have never been a problem for me, models seem to dig them!

Oh, what's that?  You said "MODELING"
My bad!
Like Udo said, you're not going to be doing a lot of fashion or commercial so go for it, it'll fit well in the alternative/goth/alt/fantasy market you're shooting in.
I'll be happy to shoot it when it's done  smile

Sep 18 06 07:29 am Link

Model

Juri

Burtonsville, Maryland, US

UdoR wrote:
But... "tribal"... hmmm... could be nice, but have you considered a Japanese style tattoo for your back?

I don't like too many japanese tattoos. I think it's beautiful but I like to stay away from the asian styles.

Sep 18 06 07:45 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

My favorite model to photograph (Leila), the gal in my main pic/avatar has 27 tattoos (she's a tattoo artist, also). She has no problem getting modeling gigs. I think that's what makes her different, stand out and why so many like her... aside from her also being gorgeous.

When I first started working with her, I was charging her. We're to the point now, we've made a trade... I give her free shoots when she needs them, and I get all the tattoos I want. Lol... LOVE TATTOOS!

Sep 18 06 09:41 am Link

Model

JoLeigh Breault

Austin, Texas, US

Like the previous posts its really what kind of modeling your trying to get into... if anything my tattoos have gotten me my work. But thats the genre of shoots I'm looking to do.

Sep 18 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

in all honesty, your ink won't matter a bit.

--face reality

Sep 18 06 09:57 am Link

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

Go for it...Just make sure the tat you have in mind is what you really want...It's always been beneficial for me,But my direction has def.changed from doing any type of fashion or glam work...If a photographer doesn't want to shoot you because you have ink believe me a whole batch of other photographer's will

Sep 18 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

FWIW:  I will not photograph a tattoo, nor will I waste my time trying to photoshop one out.  If a model has a tattoo on a body part that I want to photograph, I'll simply look for a different model.

Sep 18 06 03:20 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

do it. as long as you know what you want! if there are any second guesses then wait. I guess to answer the question: yes it will alter your modeling career but it depends on where you want your career to go. If you want to model the tattoos and be in tattoo magazines, motorcycle mags, etc. then yes tattoos will definitely help!

Sep 18 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Nelia

San Francisco, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
FWIW:  I will not photograph a tattoo, nor will I waste my time trying to photoshop one out.  If a model has a tattoo on a body part that I want to photography, I'll simply look for a different model.

I agree, I also typically will not work with a model that has tatooes either unless it is very small.  Not judging anyone, I just personaly no not care fot tatooes.

Sep 18 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

i say its like any other part of your personality.  if  a photog hates it you would  most likely clash anyway.    if you get alot of ink done you will attract photog. that are like you and you get along with.   personally i want a model that fits the shot regardless .  if i dont like their look it doesnt matter , the final product matters.

Sep 18 06 10:03 pm Link