Forums > General Industry > Purist photogs, perfect models, n photoshopgraphy

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

A model will tell me now and then that they worked with some photographers who are purists, who minimally uses photoshop. I find myself going in the opposite direction.

For you photographers, what's your ratio of photoshop to shoot time? It used to be about 1:1, but it's easily 2:1 now. The better the shoot, the higher the ratio because I want to squeeze every drop of goodness out.

For you models, have you ever objected to a good post processing job? I haven't encountered a model who objects, but there must be some for the purists.

Sep 16 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

I shoot a lot, discard a lot, Photoshop a lot.

I have shot two customers who did not want moles, scars, etc touched up. They both felt like a retouched photo would not be a picture of them.

Sep 16 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

On headshots and images intended to be editorial or fashion I do very little PS work... maybe 2-3 minutes' worth.
On glamour images a do a lot, sometimes as much as 45 minutes if I feel particularly exploratory and start playing with a filter I haven't used before...

The monkey wrench is my backdrops being only 9 feet wide, sometimes I have to retouch the edges on my studio shoots to get rid of the clutter behind the backdrop.

Sep 16 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Back in my college days, I would dodge and burn and focus in the dark room. Now I do it with the computer...but only without the fumes! lol

Even the purist who does his own darkroom work will still do the basic manipulations of the image.. like sharpening and sepia tone and posterize and, blur, and.. and.. and

get the point?

Both are fine as long as they get to your goal..

Sep 16 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Don't get me wrong. I love PhotoShop. But if you're doing anything more than some color correction, minor exposure adjustments and sharpening everytime you shoot......you're doing something wrong!

I shoot each and every single day. Unless I'm looking for some kind of special effect or the photo is being used graphically as part a bigger image my photoshopping is very minimal.

PhotoShop does not take the place of good technique. You cannot make a weak photo great. About the only exception may be portraits where birthmarks, moles and blemishes are removed by request. Even then it shouldn't be overdone.

Sep 16 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Matt Morrissey

New Hope, Pennsylvania, US

Listen, this topic is still just, but won't be in a couple years...I spend most time on photoshop, but miss the darkroom...and yes, the fumes!!! But c'mon guys, look at the work thats coming out. Stylized beyond belief! Lets face it. Things are changing. And I think it's for the best...Darkroom work will ALWAYS have it's place...IN FINE ART!!!

_Matt

Sep 16 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

It's only overdone if the client thinks so.

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I love PhotoShop. But if you're doing anything more than some color correction, minor exposure adjustments and sharpening everytime you shoot......you're doing something wrong!

I shoot each and every single day. Unless I'm looking for some kind of special effect or the photo is being used graphically as part a bigger image my photoshopping is very minimal.

PhotoShop does not take the place of good technique. You cannot make a weak photo great. About the only exception may be portraits where birthmarks, moles and blemishes are removed by request. Even then it shouldn't be overdone.

Sep 16 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Glamour too... my avatar is case-in-point. There is no way to get that effect with lighting/exposure no matter how creative and experienced you are.

Matt Morrissey wrote:
Listen, this topic is still just, but won't be in a couple years...I spend most time on photoshop, but miss the darkroom...and yes, the fumes!!! But c'mon guys, look at the work thats coming out. Stylized beyond belief! Lets face it. Things are changing. And I think it's for the best...Darkroom work will ALWAYS have it's place...IN FINE ART!!!

_Matt

Sep 16 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Matt Morrissey

New Hope, Pennsylvania, US

FKY... I agree...But Photoshop isn't the crutch. RAW is. Don't get me wrong I shoot in raw, just for insurance, but I know some people that don't even white balance because they shoot raw. Come on! We still have a craft to up hold!

_Matt

Sep 16 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

I'm a minimalist and I work fast. I usually don't spend more than 10 minutes on an image.

Sep 16 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

If I was blind, I wouldn't either... it would be a waste of time! lol

BlindMike wrote:
I'm a minimalist and I work fast. I usually don't spend more than 10 minutes on an image.

Sep 16 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
If I was blind, I wouldn't either... it would be a waste of time! lol

I work by feel. Honk honk.

Sep 16 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Still Image Studios

Seattle, Washington, US

Matt Morrissey wrote:
FKY... I agree...But Photoshop isn't the crutch. RAW is. Don't get me wrong I shoot in raw, just for insurance, but I know some people that don't even white balance because they shoot raw. Come on! We still have a craft to up hold!

_Matt

Next we're going to insist that we all go back to shooting film.

RAW's just another file format that contains more data. Who cares whether it's RAW, or JPG, or TIF, or whatever. Sure, you can save photos because of it, but isn't that why it's there?

Like what has been said above, if the composition sucks, no amount of photoshop is going to save the photo. Somehow turning your nose up at someone because they spent some time photoshop to take away a mole, or smooth skin, or whatever is stupid. As a photographer, your job is to create images that are beautiful. If you were a photojournalist, that's one thing, but most of us aren't.

Use the tools available to the extent you are comfortable with, and don't judge others that use them the way they are comfortable with.

Sep 16 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

That explains why your images show a lot of feeling smile

BlindMike wrote:
I work by feel. Honk honk.

Sep 16 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

That explains why your images show a lot of feeling smile

Yup. I have magic fingers wink

Sep 16 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

PN Photo wrote:

Next we're going to insist that we all go back to shooting film.

RAW's just another file format that contains more data. Who cares whether it's RAW, or JPG, or TIF, or whatever. Sure, you can save photos because of it, but isn't that why it's there?

Like what has been said above, if the composition sucks, no amount of photoshop is going to save the photo. Somehow turning your nose up at someone because they spent some time photoshop to take away a mole, or smooth skin, or whatever is stupid. As a photographer, your job is to create images that are beautiful. If you were a photojournalist, that's one thing, but most of us aren't.

Use the tools available to the extent you are comfortable with, and don't judge others that use them the way they are comfortable with.

My only problem with PhotoShop is that I constantly hear "don't worry we'll fix it in PhotoShop".....well, it might have been better to fix it before you took the shot. Although I'm also a graphic designer I prefer to be a photographer. As a photographer that means knowing how to use your camera.

I'm not really judging anyone for using PS....it's just that sometimes it's over used taking the place of good technique.

Sep 16 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Richard Maxwell

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

Sometimes telling a model you have photoshop is the only way to get her to stop trying to hide a 15 year old bike scar from gradeschool that you cant see for the life of you, and actually get some work done.

Sep 16 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I live in a dusty old warehouse, so I spend time, whether in PS or on the print, spotting.  Otherwise, I'll twiddle contrast and brightness, and crop.  Same as I'd do in the darkroom.

It does take some time to spot, so 15 minutes per image is probably the longest, for the dirtiest negative.

-Don

Sep 16 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Glamour too... my avatar is case-in-point. There is no way to get that effect with lighting/exposure no matter how creative and experienced you are.

you are completely incorrect.

EVERYTHING done in photoshop can be done pre/post production in film.

I'd say 90% of photoshop can be done during the shoot.

Shooting a high key image is no majic feat... it's just a high key image... I could shoot that and have it processed out in under an hour total from lights on the floor to setup to processing.

Sep 16 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

If you're shooting for the sake of job or product (i.e. someone hired you to make an image).. I believe the correct path is the one that leads from start to finish in the least number of painful steps..

I don't care what the steps are.  It's the ones that get you to your final solution with the least time wasted and heartache..

That's all..

On the other hand if you're in it to learn..  Then take as many extra steps as you can think up..  Then go back to the beginning and start over taking a completely different path..

Sep 16 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

I used to strive to be a purist but I've come to realize that PS is as important to me as the darkroom was to film. That makes PS an equal partner to the camera, maybe the dominant partner.

The camera provides the raw material, but PS provides refinement for the photos that have the most potential. Between my minimalist studio which doesn't have enough gear to produce all the lighting effects, and outdoor shots where there's only limited control over the composition and lighting, I'm finding PS indispensable. 

Just as painters make mistakes constantly and draw over their work to correct and enhance, PS is a way for me to fix mistakes and enhance the image.

My eye isn't better than those artists, I don't think faster than they do, I have less control over the environment, and my tools are relatively worse. Given the limitations, it seems likely that I'll be spending more time with PS as I try to create more ambitious photographs.

Sep 16 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

BlindMike wrote:

Yup. I have magic fingers wink

I'd pay good money to watch Mike shooting by feel.

Sep 16 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Rue 99 wrote:
For you models, have you ever objected to a good post processing job? I haven't encountered a model who objects, but there must be some for the purists.

Question: how could they tell, if it were a good post-processing job? Most "good post processing" results in images that don't look like they've been processed.

Sep 16 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

My shooting time is probably 98% compared to about 2% photoshop. I think photoshop is a wonderful and powerful tool, and I just wish I had more time to use it. In order for me to spend more time with photoshop, I would have to start cancelling shoots with models. But since I prefer working with models more than I like working with computers, I don't think I will do that. So out of necessity, I manage my workflow to provide me with the most amount of time to spend creating images with the camera. I do know that just about every image that comes out of the camera can benefit from a little tweaking with photoshop, that's why I do a small amount to images I choose to show. Fortunately, I never have to do any photoshop for commercial work as someone else specializing in graphic design always does the post production work. I should emphasize that I have nothing against very well executed and highly stylized graphic works of art using photography as a source material. In fact, I really admire a lot of the work from the many people who choose to concentrate their efforts in the graphic design area to produce photo illustration art. For me it is just not where my interest lies so I concentrate on the shooting end of things.

Sep 16 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

I use photoshop almost exclusively for minor corrections - brightness, contract, minor color corrections. Essentially as I use the darkroom. I do believe many photographers and models tend to rely on on photoshop these days and tend to get a little careless on a shoot (I am not saying all photographers and models, so please don't jump all over me!) I have had many models say "you can fix this in photoshop" so many times. I actually had one model shoot in sheer lingerie (her choice) and then after the fact ask me to photoshop her nipples out "Other photographers have done that for me!"

I am not that talented at photoshop - I admit it. But I am not interested in massively changing my images either. I have seen so many photos of models that were so shopped they tend to look like manequins.

I am not going to get into film versus digital. They both great advantages. But I do believe the darkroom is a photo art, and photoshop is a computer art - both difficult to master.

Sep 16 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

I'll stop using it when models stop needing it lol!  Now repeat after me.....there are no perfect people....there are no perfect people.

Sep 16 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Kevin Connery wrote:
Question: how could they tell, if it were a good post-processing job? Most "good post processing" results in images that don't look like they've been processed.

Blemishes, wrinkles, tattoos, moles, gone are fairly obvious to the model. I've even obliged a couple hang reduction requests.

Sep 16 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I said lighting/exposure. High key color images require darkroom work to look like that one, so I am no incorrect in my statement.

As a side-note, that took me about 20 seconds to get that effect on PS...

James Jackson wrote:

you are completely incorrect.

EVERYTHING done in photoshop can be done pre/post production in film.

I'd say 90% of photoshop can be done during the shoot.

Shooting a high key image is no majic feat... it's just a high key image... I could shoot that and have it processed out in under an hour total from lights on the floor to setup to processing.

Sep 18 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I am a purist- black and white: no photoshop. ever.
I learned how to use photoshop even got pretty good at doing it/still could do it. I have a lot of respect for those who do it but I think it's really its own art form that is not the same as photography.

Sep 18 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

Depends on the subject and what I am after. Sometimes I take pictures with a specific bit of photoshopery in mind, the post process being in my mind as I shoot.
Sometimes I think I should call myself a digital imagist or something because to me Photoshop is a continuation of my process. Not an additional "extra" step.

Sep 18 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

StevesPhotography wrote:
Depends on the subject and what I am after. Sometimes I take pictures with a specific bit of photoshopery in mind, the post process being in my mind as I shoot.
Sometimes I think I should call myself a digital imagist or something because to me Photoshop is a continuation of my process. Not an additional "extra" step.

Exactly the case with me. The model has the perfect pose at a certain angle with a certain expression. If I ask her to move, I'll lose it and there's no guarantee I'll get it again but there lighting or backdrop is a bit off. Or there's a distracting object behind her, but a slight adjustment will easily allow the object to be erased.

I used to skip the shot. Nowadays I'm inclined to say "take the shot", knowing in advance which parts will get shopped.

Sep 18 06 11:27 pm Link