Forums > General Industry > How TFP usualy works..?

Model

Rabbit86

Białystok, Podlaskie, Poland

Hi that me again little Polish chick with questions smile
Does model gets all photos from TFP/CD session..? i mean literaly all no metter how they come out . Or it choice of photographer again which photo give which dont..?

Sep 15 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Allure by LH Taylor

Austin, Texas, US

You usually work it out with the photographer ahead of time.  Some like to give a disk with all the photos from a shoot unedited.  Others (like me) like to give a disk of only those photos they think are best representative of the photographer's and model's skills.

Save yourself a lot of headache.  Work out your expectations BEFORE the day of the shoot.  Ask how long the photographer usually takes to get the product to you.  Many models are shocked to hear 3-4 weeks, but that's a normal timeframe for me.  You might even be able to work out a deal for some web-versions in the first few days, and then a disk in the mail with high-res versions in a few weeks.  Just work it out ahead of time.  I can't stress that enough.

[edit] I just saw in your profile you are looking for "Paid Assignments Only".  Unless you work out a deal with the photographer, you usually don't get any shots from shoots where you were paid.  Your compensation is the money and that's it.  For anything different, you need to negotiate that with the photographer and have it specified in a contract or agreement before any shooting begins.

Sep 15 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I'll add to your description, a really cute Polish girl. Regarding your question about TFP/TFCD, I'll also add...

If you intend to print the photos or post-process yourself, find out whether they're full or low resolution photos. Low res photos are fine for web use, but generally not suitable for printing.

I usually burn CDs on the spot if it's a studio shoot and provide medium format photos, mostly for proofing purposes but good enough for modest size prints. Most models want the post processed photos and don't want to deal with the raw photos themselves.

Sep 16 06 12:40 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

How TFP usualy works..?

Email,  Email,  phone call, email,  email, phone call, meet,  air kiss,  air kiss,
then
you bend over.

Sep 16 06 12:43 am Link

Model

soma_stardust

Emeryville, California, US

i can deal with raw photos myself, but i'm always worried that the photographer would be pissed. (i'd be pissed if someone messed with my photos, which is why i only give out a finished product.)

Sep 16 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

I shoot 6.3megapixel JPG and full 16.7megapixel RAW files at the same time, burn the JPG to CD and give that to the model imediately with promise of a few edited/retouched images at whatever resolution they want within a few days. This way the model can request a few other photos for me to edit, as personally, I'm so picky I'll narrow down 75-225 photos from a 2-4 hour shoot to 2-4 great shots which I fully edit/retouch/crop/print for myself and the model, but understand that beginning models would prefer to "fill-out their portfolios. I give the model permission to post whatever they want from the unedited CD, as long as they note in the title that the image is "AS SHOT - UNEDITED" or something to that effect, or the model can edit some shots if they like as long as they let me approve of them and note that it was not I who did the post-processing, though I'll give them the full res-RAW files if they can handle them........it's not that I'm trying to cheat models of "all their photos," but often what you don't show says more than what you do show.........

Sep 16 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

MHana wrote:
How TFP usualy works..?

Email,  Email,  phone call, email,  email, phone call, meet,  air kiss,  air kiss,
then
you bend over.

What? TFP involves taking it up the..huh?

Sep 16 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Everyone handles TFP differently, so you need to negotiate it with the photographer in advance.  I give contact sheets or proof sets if I'm shooting film (yes, Im a dinosaur) or a low-res watermarked CD of all the images if digital so the model can select images she likes & request edited versions.  I also send her copies of the ones I pick to edit.

Sep 16 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

And may I say I am on Long Island, not too far from your state, as one of a series of shooting trips and I'd love to shoot you on one of my visits here  smile

Sep 16 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

MHana wrote:
How TFP usualy works..?

then
you bend over.

Iris Swope wrote:
What? TFP involves taking it up the..huh?

Sure, it's the same out here. The midwest is always a little behind on trends in fashion.

Sep 16 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Mick Stonehenge

Joshua Tree, California, US

In a nutshell...  I immediately edit my images, logo them, dump the absolute clunkers (out of focus and catastrophic exposure), burn the cd, and hand it to the model upon our next meeting when the paperwork is signed. Ask Autumn Starr. she'll tell you !
But I'm hearing horror stories of irresponsible photographers who don't hold up their end and give TFP a bad name. No wonder so many models are not too keen on TFP . if they consistently get nothing for their efforts who can blame them ?  Thanx Guys (with cameras)

Sep 16 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Palladin Van Buren wrote:
In a nutshell...  I immediately edit my images, logo them, dump the absolute clunkers (out of focus and catastrophic exposure), burn the cd, and hand it to the model upon our next meeting when the paperwork is signed. Ask Autumn Starr. she'll tell you !
But I'm hearing horror stories of irresponsible photographers who don't hold up their end and give TFP a bad name. No wonder so many models are not too keen on TFP . if they consistently get nothing for their efforts who can blame them ?  Thanx Guys (with cameras)

Next meeting when the paperwork is signed?
Hell no.  9 times out of 10 you'll never get that paperwork.

Sep 16 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Think about this.....what good does having all the images do anyone? Why are so many hung up on that? No one will ever get that from me unless they want to buy them all.....isn;t it better to have even a select few really outstanding images that are retouched and ready to go? It all needs to be worked out prior.

Sep 16 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Jay Farrell wrote:
Think about this.....what good does having all the images do anyone? Why are so many hung up on that? No one will ever get that from me unless they want to buy them all.....isn;t it better to have even a select few really outstanding images that are retouched and ready to go? It all needs to be worked out prior.

without all the images how is it possible to prove how experienced you are? It's determined on a per click basis no?

TFP works?

Sep 16 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think many of you guys are playing with fire.  Giving models all of the images
from a shoot could be suicide.  I think its a better ideal to look over the images
you plan to provide carefully.  Editing out those that don't look good or those
that you might not want used or posted on the web.  While that may make a
model wait a bit its a better ideal in many ways.  I think it was Avedon who spoke
of only showing your best.  In this case its giving the best from a shoot.  I've
heard of photographers giving models hundreds of shots from extended shoots.
I think again look over what you give people, anything else may come back to
haunt you.   To the OP.  Photographers work in various ways.  Be clear on
what you will be given and when.

Sep 16 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Rabbit86 wrote:
How TFP usualy works..?

it usually doesn't beyond just taking pictures because there is no client obligation that requires (demands) quality or delivery. 

instead, the more appropriate title should be, "how tfp is fun because i set my own rules...!"  this will confirm itself by all of the varied answers to your question.

--face reality

Sep 16 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

David Pankhurst Photo

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

TFP means Time for Prints.  It is a contractual agreement between the photographer and the model (and maybe the MUA).  It can be whatever is agreed upon.  I usually negotiate x number of 8x10s per hour of shooting.  These are finished prints suitable for a portfolio.  The model gets a contact sheet whether film or digital of all prints I haven't thrown out to help her participate in choosing the ones she wants...I have the final say...it's my reputation on the line. I provide the same images on CD at a res which will allow them to be printed.  All images , hard and digital, carry a copyright notice 

Never ever provide all your shots...its a fast way to prove your not a pro.  People only remember the worst shots and talk about them...so don't give them anything you wouldn't want talked about among models or prospective clients.

Never,ever provide unedited prints for someone else to edit, change or print poorly, especially with your name attached to the finished product.  The finished image should be what you, the phtographer, visualized, not her or her friend.

Sep 16 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

MHana wrote:
How TFP usualy works..?

then
you bend over.

That's pretty accurate. Other than that, there is no usual.

Sep 16 06 01:55 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

David Pankhurst Photo wrote:
Never ever provide all your shots...its a fast way to prove your not a pro.  People only remember the worst shots and talk about them...so don't give them anything you wouldn't want talked about among models or prospective clients.

Never,ever provide unedited prints for someone else to edit, change or print poorly, especially with your name attached to the finished product.  The finished image should be what you, the phtographer, visualized, not her or her friend.

Never ever say never.  Pros routinely have their work retouched by others.  And quite a few of them provide proofs of all their shots, too, especially when dealing with other pros.

But this conversation has been had here 4,289 times.

Sep 16 06 02:05 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

It's the best way to learn what works and what doesn't. You don't really have to HAVE them alltfor that, but I prefer to look through them all in my own freaky little way without anyone leaning over me waiting for me to be done yet.

Sep 16 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

theda wrote:

It's the best way to learn what works and what doesn't. You don't really have to HAVE them alltfor that, but I prefer to look through them all in my own freaky little way without anyone leaning over me waiting for me to be done yet.

They are more than welcome to view them here with me while they are here, we can discuss what worked and what didn't and why....then we select the best and I call them when they are done smile

Sep 16 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

It's really just the same answer as before - get it straight before the shoot.  Way before.

A pro photographer will not let out anything that he hasn't polished and approved.  It is his livelyhood, and he can't affort to do that.  That said, many pros still permit the model to have access to all.

I don't shoot pro anymore, so I am not concerned if I let the entire shoot lose.  But, in truth, I like to hold a deal that says the model can reject up to 40% of the shoot (for reasons of appearance or other concerns) and the photographer can reject up to 40% (for reasons of technical or artistic quality.)

But the only thing a model should really expect from any TF* is 5 to 10 (negotiated) good, high resolution (or full size in the case of TFP instead of TFCD) images.  If the model can negotiate more, that is fine, but it should be done at the same time the shoot is set up.  Not the day of, or afterward.

It is unreasonable to hold a blanket rule that the entire shoot must be released.  Such a demand would give any photographer the "willies".

Sep 16 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

David Pankhurst Photo wrote:
TFP means Time for Prints.  It is a contractual agreement between

only if such an agreement in fact exists, and if so it could be called the queen of england rather than TFP and would still mean what the contract says and only what the contract says.

if you are relying on industry standard here, forget it. no standard exists.

Sep 16 06 10:58 pm Link