Forums > General Industry > Murphy's Law

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I know models flake... it's part of the business and you move on. But what I'd like to know is, why do they always seem to flake at the worst possible time?  If I'm shooting something simple, invariably they show.

However, If I have a major production which requires one or two  complete set constructions, they have an "emergency" or they just pull a no-show/no-call. I don't mind cancellations -- they happen. But spending two or more hours putting things together, completely rearranging my studio, and then waiting another hour just to have to  tear it all down... what a waste!

Another question for the ages... why do model's cell phones work fine all the time -- especailly during a shoot -- constantly interrupting the session, but through some quirk of fake, the batteries always die when they were going to call you about no being able to make it.

Anyone with the answers to these age old questions, or does this just happen to me?

Sep 15 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Maxwell

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

Models are the devil

Sep 15 06 09:04 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Los Angeles, California, US

Mark Key Studios wrote:
I know models flake... it's part of the business and you move on. But what I'd like to know is, why do they always seem to flake at the worst possible time?  If I'm shooting something simple, invariably they show.

However, If I have a major production which requires one or two  complete set constructions, they have an "emergency" or they just pull a no-show/no-call. I don't mind cancellations -- they happen. But spending two or more hours putting things together, completely rearranging my studio, and then waiting another hour just to have to  tear it all down... what a waste!

Another question for the ages... why do model's cell phones work fine all the time -- especailly during a shoot -- constantly interrupting the session, but through some quirk of fake, the batteries always die when they were going to call you about no being able to make it.

Anyone with the answers to these age old questions, or does this just happen to me?

That sucks and its extremely unprofessional on the models' part. I hate the stigma models get for being flakes...sucks. I was thinking about that the other day, how would I feel if I got my hair done, nails done, spent hours getting ready for a shoot and the photographer called and cancelled? I'd feel like crap!
I wonder if photgraphers flake as much as models? Ever? it doesnt seem like it..and I wonder why that is..seems like they need the pics less than models do. Hmm.

Anyway no it doesnt just happen to you I hear sooo ofter photographers getting upset over flaky models :-/ Maybe more dialogue with the model before hand could help to prevent it? Or at least let it happen less frequently?

Sep 15 06 09:07 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

It's not as funny if you flake on a simple shoot tongue

Sep 15 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

Alix Andrea wrote:
Anyway no it doesnt just happen to you I hear sooo ofter photographers getting upset over flaky models :-/ Maybe more dialogue with the model before hand could help to prevent it? Or at least let it happen less frequently?

If I had any more dialogue with my models they'd be hearing my voice in their sleep. lol  There are never any things left to chance or confusion with me. I'm always very detailed about what is expected, what will be shot, what the model needs to bring, etc. I always confirm the day before... and many times confirm the actual day of the shoot. I've not had a lot of flakes, but they always seem to do it at the worst possible times -- when I've invested huge amounts of time into a concept. That's the part that's so incredibly frustrating.

Sep 15 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
It's not as funny if you flake on a simple shoot tongue

I'll have to make a mental note of that comment if we ever work together. tongue

Sep 15 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Morgan

Fort Worth, Texas, US

I have had quite a few models cancel on my lately and it does get frustrating. I am not sure if it is the time of year or what.

Sep 15 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

it's not murphy's law, it's cole's

Sep 15 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I've found that it's helpful to be really up front about your feelings and attitudes. For example, if I've got a really gnarly schedule for a shoot, I'll tell the model, "This one is really important to me, so I'm going to spazz out if you no-show me without warning, OK?" Or (as is more often the case) "Hey, I'm not going anyplace and this is a casual art shoot for my portfolio; if you need to reschedule just let me know before 10:00am on the day of the shoot and we'll try another time."

mjr.

Sep 15 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
I've found that it's helpful to be really up front about your feelings and attitudes. For example, if I've got a really gnarly schedule for a shoot, I'll tell the model, "This one is really important to me, so I'm going to spazz out if you no-show me without warning, OK?" Or (as is more often the case) "Hey, I'm not going anyplace and this is a casual art shoot for my portfolio; if you need to reschedule just let me know before 10:00am on the day of the shoot and we'll try another time."

mjr.

I appreciate the input. You made me just realize that I lay everything out ahead of time in regards to what is expected of the model.... I don't really tell them the hours and hours of time certain concepts require in prep time. I may just incorporate that into my routine.

Does make me wonder... does my work suck so bad that they just feel they can blow me off and it won't affect their port? hmmmmmmm

Sep 15 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:
it's not murphy's law, it's cole's

what's cole's law?

Sep 15 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:

what's cole's law?

thinly sliced cabbage and carrots

Sep 15 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

lol

then what is SODs?

and when are you all gonna stop calling it FLAKE like its acceptable at some level ?

(and just call it a selfish, spoilt little girl ''waste of time'' with big tits and no brain who cant be bothered to do the job she asked to do - despite all the planning that went into it - and thus should never work again)

huh?

Surely REAL professional interested respectable models don't pull that crap??
Cancel - it happens
No show - maybe they party, drink, take drugs, oversleep, get sick, get lost, lose your number ...but this is not what you are saying, Oui?

Sep 15 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

Anjel Britt wrote:
lol

then what is SODs?

and when are you all gonna stop calling it FLAKE like its acceptable at some level ?

(and just call it a selfish, spoilt little girl ''waste of time'' with big tits and no brain who cant be bothered to do the job she asked to do - despite all the planning that went into it - and thus should never work again)

huh?

Surely REAL professional interested respectable models don't pull that crap??
Cancel - it happens
No show - maybe they party, drink, take drugs, oversleep, get sick, get lost, lose your number ...but this is not what you are saying, Oui?

Not really referring to no-shows in general, Anjel -- check the thread title. Just exploring the idea that all my no-shows seem to happen on the most complex shoots with the most prep time. I'd equate this to the difference between breaking a date to go to Burger King and breaking a date to the Prom. The only thing more annoying is excuses (lies) with so many holes that you could drive a tank through them.

BTW: I never work with no-shows again. I can't afford to take a chance of wasting more time on a no-show/no-call. If someone cancels even with the lamest excuse in the world, I'd reschedule as long as they gave me ample notice.

Sep 16 06 12:32 am Link