Forums > General Industry > How Many Photos Do You Take?

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Mercy Studio wrote:

Really?  Does this mean that when we shoot with film that all lighting and subjects will automatically conform to the image we have in mind?  Models will no longer blink, all of the elements will come to a stand still.  We'll no longer feel the need to experament with different angles and lighting.

Does this also mean that someone who has a lot of money and can afford to buy all the film in the world is a better photographer?

Shitty phototographers and Good photographers are on both sides of the fence.  It's not the equipment that makes a good photographer -it's all in the eye and imagination.  So what if photographers like to add a few frames to expearament and expand their view during shoots.

In the end it all boils down to the final product and not how long it took you to get there.

Get off you high horse.

I think that Mercy Studio that you miss the point that Michael Medrano is making. Being careful about shooting and when to shoot, being disciplined, and watching for moments when things happen (or perhaps creating these moments) takes practice and patience and has nothing to do with being on a high horse. A photographer who choses to wait or to create the moment is more in control of what he or she is going to get than shooting bulk.

That you call your kind of photography "final product" says a lot about the respect you have for your own vision and shooting.
Alexwh

Sep 19 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

For what I do particularly with website photography, I can get anywhere from 100 to 200 shots. Closer to 100 with amatuer models, closer to 200 with more experienced models. I like to shoot a variety of poses and angles. By the time I look through them all, I end up ditching about 20% of my shots. With digital photography, I feel it's better to have too many and the ability to delete, rather than not have enough.

Dec 07 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It depends. I dont set a limit. I just click until I figure I have what I need.

Dec 07 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This particular argument seems to crop up every few weeks.  It's always treated like a Religious Issue.

I've never seen anyone explain why in the world it matters to any OP how other people choose to work.  People have different approaches, different professional histories, different objectives.  Life goes on.

Dec 07 06 10:22 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

big_smile  Religious issue.  I get a kick out of you.

Truly, Kathy Jean

Dec 07 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

In most sessions I use two or three rolls of 35mm and four to six 4x5 sheets. When shooting pinhole, I can usually get half a dozen shots in before the model gets bored by the long exposures and falls asleep.

Dec 07 06 10:27 am Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

My most recent shoot with an MM photographer (Amateur Images - MM#220573) was about 1000 images (from what I can remember him telling me) It was an all day shoot from 10 am. about 1 hour for lunch. and ended around 9pm, I had a great time working with him.

Dec 07 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Everyone's workflow is different.  I personally will only push the shutter if I think it will be a great image.  However, there are times that I fire away cause I want to capture as many images as possible for a giving time frame, i.e. like taking pics of a kid running around or playing.

One thing is for sure, it never fails to take more pics (not with the same/almost same pose). 

I also don't understand what is this keeper rate is about.  After removing blur, badly composed, shaking etc, I usually keep about 80% of my images.  But that doesn't means I like all of them.

Dec 07 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I shoot one million frames per shoot.......no.....that's one billion

Dec 07 06 11:04 am Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Thomas B wrote:
I shoot one million frames per shoot.......no.....that's one billion

lol.. you're kidding? Unless your shoots are 2 weeks long.

Dec 07 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Scribe of Souls

Bonner Springs, Kansas, US

gklosswa wrote:
Are you the kind of photographer who shoots lots of pictures until you get what you want or do you watch and wait until you see what you want and then shoot? I guess in this age of digital photography, you can see the results instantly, so you can shoot less. But, since you don't need to use film, you can also shoot as much as you want. Maybe this question applies more to those who shoot with film.

The answer is yes, I watch and wait AND take a lot of pics.  I shoot digital exclusively now and would never go back to film and the darkroom. 

I shoot a lot of action shots and shots with a lot of motion.  I set up the shot that I want and watch and wait, however, inversly I shoot lots of pictures until I get have the shot that I want.  Shooting action, be it barrel racing, dirt bikes, boxing, whatever, I don't have the time or luxury to take a shot, look at it to see if I got what I want, and then take another pic if I'm not satisfied. 

When doing shots with models I tend to do somewhat the same thing, and did it when I shot with film as well (when you shoot with film, you can't look immediately at the results to see if you got what you wanted or had pictured in your minds eye).  I see no real reason to constantly go back and forth between shooting and critiqueing on the spot.  So I set up the shot and then take the pic (more pics than I would have taken with film) making slight adjustments with the camera or in adjusting the pose of the model slightly.

Dec 07 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

gklosswa wrote:
Are you the kind of photographer who shoots lots of pictures until you get what you want or do you watch and wait until you see what you want and then shoot?

Neither...

I see the shot in my head and then I direct all involved until what I see through the lens matches what's I'm imagining.  I'm not passive about getting shots, spraying-&-praying until I get something good.  If something cool pops up as we play with ideas then, sure, I can capture it on the fly but you'll be hard pressed to get me to shoot 60 shots if it's a trade.  As heavily as I compose and direct, I don't need to shoot more than that. 

If it's a paid portfolio session then I'll probably shoot 100 to 150.   If it's a publication (done only a few handfuls), I shoot as many as the editor or art director wants to see...

Dec 07 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Stacy wrote:

lol.. you're kidding? Unless your shoots are 2 weeks long.

Yes I am kidding.....sometimes I shoot a lot...sometime I only shoot a few. If a model has lots of expression and really works the camera....I shoot until she loses the energy. If I shoot with someone who looks good but has the same expression....I just shoot a few and move on to the next outfit. So in reality, the model decides how much I shoot

Dec 07 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

RMG

San Francisco, California, US

I shoot about 8-10 rolls of film per shoot, with many multiples of the same shot (I have no light meter, so I have to guesstimate settings--if I see something that I want to make sure I get, I have my model stay perfectly still while I adjust a bit up and a bit down).

Obviously, not an action photographer.

Dec 08 06 03:08 am Link