Forums > General Industry > Do you need to know...

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

the rules before you can break them? I say absolutely. How bout you?

Sep 15 06 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Yes sir. You must master the rules to be set free!
Picasso said that after learning to draw professionally he spent a lifetime trying to draw like a child.

Sep 15 06 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Nope. No one needs to know rules to break them. How many compositional rules get broken by noobies who wonder why their pics suck and cant figure out why!

Sep 15 06 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

It unquestionably helps -- especially if your work leans more to the commercial than towards pure art for art's sake. The "idiot savant" deconstructed look comes and goes, but the come is usually short-lived, and I would argue that somebody who knows the rules actually does the idiot savant look better than a real idiot. . .

I view understanding the rules of photography and artistic expression as providing a broader palette, more tools in the toolbox, and a stronger vocabulary, giving the ability to express myself more clearly and compellingly. But I must say, I LOVE breaking the rules!

In the end, knowledge IS power.

Paul

Sep 15 06 06:51 am Link

Model

HurtMeSo

Paris, Arkansas, US

Well obviously no one needs to know the rule of the thirds to break it, lol.
But you need to know and understand it to figure when it is appropriate to break it and give more power to the image.

**edit: don't look at my avatar, ROFL**

Sep 15 06 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Most of the replies here seem to have assumed a different question. Obviously, if you know the rules, and understand them and their purpose, then you can creatively break them at the right times.

It like a landscape photographer shooting a lake and deciding that the reflection of the sky should have equal weighting to the sky and using a central horizon. Most of the time its a bad idea but sometimes it works.

The trick is to know when those 'somtimes' are.

Sep 15 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

There are lots of rules, and they're all up for breaking, I think.

Sep 15 06 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

RED Photographic wrote:

Anyone know what the rule of tension is?

Edit....

It's the most basic and fundamental rule of design. hint.

Sep 15 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

It's the most basic and fundamental rule of design. hint.

Could not find it in Google. Maybe I know it by another name.

Enlighten us please.

Sep 15 06 07:52 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

If one doesn't know the "rules," one doesn't know he's breaking them.

I can't think of many artists that weren't first masters of the craft.  Grandma Moses is the only exception that comes to mind right now.  And I never really liked her work.

There are always going to be those who jump up and say, "I didn't need to learn no stinking rules," but in most cases that is so glaringly obvious in their pictures that it would be cruel to point it out.

I will modify the original statement to read, "It is best to know the rules before breaking them," allowing the occasional exception.

One thing is absolutely true, without knowing the craft (or the rules), one has a serious handicap to overcome in both making pictures, and in talking about photography.

-Don

Sep 15 06 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

whatcha talkin bout

you have to know the rules b4 you can brake the rules..... or EVEN MAKE YOUR OWN RULES simple example

How do you recognize a GWC!!???

in their composition.... rules of composition that is.....
-quadrant
-rules of 3rd
-symetry
-horizontal line
-composing outdoors
-repeat of elements
-framing
-vanishing point
-compositional pointers
-perspective

they dont have a clue....

Sep 15 06 07:55 am Link

Model

ak68

Bossier City, Louisiana, US

RED Photographic wrote:

I agree 100%. I also think that the speed limit signs are merely 'suggested' speeds. LOL. your post made me laugh.

Seriously, knowing the rules is a great way to determine just how far one should push. I personally enjoy the edge of the rules with maybe a bit of my foot over that line. Makes for wonderful conversation.
ak

Sep 15 06 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

STANLEY LAFLEUR wrote:

-quadrant
-rules of 3rd
-symetry
-horizontal line
-composing outdoors
-repeat of elements
-framing
-vanishing point
-compositional pointers
-perspective

You forgot slicing models limbs in half and leaving stumpies smile

Sep 15 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

A razor, not a rule:  There are two kinds of photographers, those that use the frame as a feature of composition, and those that don't.

(Sort of an afterthought.  My mentor, Jacque King, told me this glaringly obvious "razor" well after photo school, but it wasn't obvious to me then.)

-Don

Sep 15 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Still cant find a rule of tension. I know that tension is the use of negative space to create a dynamic element to a static image but I cant find a rule for it.

Will someone please tell me?

Sep 15 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I've only ever known of two relevant rules:

In photography -- Look.

In music -- Listen.

Everything else is just fine print and legalese.

Sep 15 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

STANLEY LAFLEUR wrote:
whatcha talkin bout

you have to know the rules b4 you can brake the rules..... or EVEN MAKE YOUR OWN RULES simple example

-quadrant
-rules of 3rd
-symetry
-horizontal line
-composing outdoors
-repeat of elements
-framing
-vanishing point
-compositional pointers
-perspective

No one was talking about any particular group of people and the term GWC implies a negative connotation that is simply no longer acceptable on the threads I post.

You may no longer participate!

Signed, The Management.

Sep 15 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.....  =p

Sep 15 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Kansas City, Missouri, US

STANLEY LAFLEUR wrote:
whatcha talkin bout

-quadrant
-rules of 3rd
-symetry
-horizontal line
-composing outdoors
-repeat of elements
-framing
-vanishing point
-compositional pointers
-perspective

To be honest, I'd disagree. You can intuitively compose without realising that you know the 'rule'. At least in theory. But then you can argue that you know the rule without being told it. Now I'm confusing myself, but you know what I mean. Hopefully. It's certainly easier if you know you know the rules, that's for sure.

Sep 15 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Forest City, North Carolina, US

You can break the rules..............as long as you don't take the sand out of my sandbox..........then I won't play with you.

Sep 15 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

DannyBourne wrote:
To be honest, I'd disagree. You can intuitively compose without realising that you know the 'rule'. At least in theory. But then you can argue that you know the rule without being told it. Now I'm confusing myself, but you know what I mean. Hopefully. It's certainly easier if you know you know the rules, that's for sure.

Why then are there so many pictures taken by such a wide variety of people in which the subjects head is centered in the frame about the size of a pixel. (Sorry, size of a silver grain souped in Crawley's FX15 with distilled water at 68 degrees Farenheit in a dilution of 1:3 using stand developement for 2 1/2 hours)

Sep 15 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Forest City, North Carolina, US

Cats and Wookies and GWCs cough up hairballs all the time. Some people say that's art. To me it follows no rules except gravity (falls to the floor). I call it what it is - regurgitated crap - regardless of the angle or perspective.

Rules are the rules. Obey the law and you'll be much better off.

Sep 15 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

DannyBourne wrote:

I don't think it's intuition; it may be unconscious, but you've still learned by years of study (again, possibly unconscious) of those who came before us.  But if you've never been to a museum or opened an art history book, this type of training wil take a looooong time...

Sep 15 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Devil's Advocate time (not necesserily my POV):

If you know how to make a wheel.. You will make... Wheels.

If you don't 99 times out of 100 you will make.. Nothing.. 1 time out of 100 you might make a wheel..

..and 1 time in a million you might make something.... new?

After all, was the inventor of the wheel trying to invent a wheel?  Or a bigger, better brontosaurus tenderizer?

Sep 15 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You could argue that the rules are our collective set of limitations or road blocks to preconceived ideas about a given subject. It's not the rules we need to know, it's a deeper understanding of the subject, then we can see rules for what they are.

Those who break the rules, know the subject. Those who keep the rules, know the rules.

Sep 15 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

DannyBourne wrote:

Why then are there so many pictures taken by such a wide variety of people in which the subjects head is centered in the frame about the size of a pixel. (Sorry, size of a silver grain souped in Crawley's FX15 with distilled water at 68 degrees Farenheit in a dilution of 1:3 using stand developement for 2 1/2 hours)

False dichotomy.

Danny said it CAN be done, not that it's often done or always done. smile

The majority of 'rules' are codifications of observations of what works, or projections of those observations into generalized patterns. That there are both many underlying hardwired and societally softwired responses is frequently absent in discussions of those rules, and even the basis for the rule is sometimes omitted--leading many people to "break" a rule simply because it's designed to accomplish something other than what is intended.

For example, the "rule of thirds" is a broad guide to encourage dynamic results; if one is deliberately aiming for static imagery, it's one that should be ignored--not "broken".

Subject/ground balance/tension, rule of contrast, leading lines, S or C curves, etc.--all of these are higher-level summations of underlying perceptual responses.

Rudolph Arnheim's 1954 book Art and Visual Perception, A Psychology of the Creative Eye, discusses some of the neurological aspects, but most of the studies on the topic have been made more recently, and are in scientific journals rather than art journals--few of which have been collected into mainstream books.

Sep 15 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
After all, was the inventor of the wheel trying to invent a wheel?  Or a bigger, better brontosaurus tenderizer?

You ever see that crap that passes for pictures on a cave wall..... Wheel school chalk board!

Sep 15 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

No one was talking about any particular group of people and the term GWC implies a negative connotation that is simply no longer acceptable on the threads I post.

You may no longer participate!

Signed, The Management.

how can the rules be implemented if those rules were never published......

Sep 15 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

DannyBourne wrote:

its like you saying  you can intuitively bake a cake without realising that you applying the principle of baking....
. i see your point
you've been using the rule of third without ever knowing thats what it was called

Sep 15 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Ignorantia legis neminem excusat (c)Gaius Terentius

trnsl:
Ignorance does not excuse. form the times of Julius Ceasar this general pricipal has been used by both moral and civil laws.

PS: and in photogrophy laws too, sorry forgot to add.

Sep 15 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

there is only one visual rule:  there are no visual rules.  there is like and dislike.  there is conformity and non-comformity.  rules provide safety.  rules provide protection.  rules do not govern aestheticism. 

rules?  wear safety glasses when pouring lab chemistry.

--face reality

Sep 15 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'd like to be a musician.

Do I really need to know anything about rhythm or tempo or melody or harmony?  Won't they just get in the way of my artistic expression?  Can't I just do what I like?

Sep 15 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Do I really need to know anything about rhythm or tempo or melody or harmony?  Won't they just get in the way of my artistic expression?

In modern music?  Quite possibly..

Sep 15 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Do I really need to know anything about rhythm or tempo or melody or harmony?  Won't they just get in the way of my artistic expression?  Can't I just do what I like?

become the next dexter gordon.

--face reality

Sep 15 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

You don't need to know the rules to simply break them, but you DO need to know the rules to break them effectively and creatively.

Basic design

Sep 15 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

FaceReality wrote:

become the next dexter gordon.

--face reality

Okay, I've sampled some Dexter Gordon, and he distinctly strikes me as someone who knew the rules so well, he was able to pull off breaking them successfully.

Sep 15 06 02:02 pm Link