Forums > General Industry > Stick figures vs. curves

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

Personally I like shooting (and have shot) with a variety of body types. It's a triad thing for me: face, body and personality. This assures my para-pro status.

Well....along with the subject matter I guess if you peruse the forums nowadays ;-)

Sep 16 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Sep 16 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

LOL!  I'm actually laughing out loud.  big_smile

I'm glad I make you happy enough to laugh out loud.  What day works for you to start your lessons?

Sep 17 06 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

RedheadRobyn wrote:
A few of these posts say I am perhaps TOO demanding asking for money and copies of all original images...1) I have made exceptions to the images rule and even now, to an extent, I would....but 2) If I am giving someone MY time and MY image who is planning to turn around and profit from why then shouldn't I? We ALL have bills to pay. For an amature photographer or strict hobbiest I will gladly give them a reduced rate..but either way, it's still my time and image and I just believe I should be compensated. As far as askig for a copy of all original images, well how am I supposed to keep my profile updated? If I didn't ask for that, I'd still have images from 4 years ago. I prefer to have my own choice of what to put up on my profiles, not have the photographer decide what HE/SHE feels are the best pix, we may disagree, something he/she may like I may detest. Plus I like screwing with them in photoshop for fun sometimes. And I NEVER profit from them.

If a photographer is going to be making money off of the photos, then yes, you deserve compensation.

You want creative control over the shoot so that YOU can choose your photos for your portfolio?  PAY a photographer and be sure to tell them your requirements.

Sep 17 06 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

DigitalCMH wrote:
I'm tired of people complaining about "how come that person and NOT me?"  Trust me, I used to do the same thing.  They just aren't interested.  Suck it up and move on.  SOMEONE will be interested.  And if turns out no one is, then maybe you suck and should quit.

Meela wrote:
I agree with this statement. I have came across several people who wish to shoot with me but I am by far going to say everyone is going to shoot with me. Some people here are professionals in the business and will shoot what the CLIENT wants. Which, if they are getting paid then they best be shooting what the CLIENT wants. Others are aspiring professionals....learning tricks of the trade....they too will shoot what the CLIENT requests. However in their free time they get more practice in by shooting what they feel like shooting. Be it a dog peeing on a tree or a child smelling a flower or whatever strikes their fancy. Then there are those who shoot just because they like to. Those people will shoot strickly whatever their heart desires.

So sometimes it is simply what the photographer likes but the rest of the time its all BUSINESS.

And with that, you have earned yourself a free shoot with me whenever you visit/move to Los Angeles/Orange County. big_smile

Sep 17 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Meela wrote:
I'm tired of people complaining about "how come that person and NOT me?"  Trust me, I used to do the same thing.  They just aren't interested.  Suck it up and move on.  SOMEONE will be interested.  And if turns out no one is, then maybe you suck and should quit. I agree with this statement. I have came across several people who wish to shoot with me but I am by far going to say everyone is going to shoot with me. Some people here are professionals in the business and will shoot what the CLIENT wants. Which, if they are getting paid then they best be shooting what the CLIENT wants. Others are aspiring professionals....learning tricks of the trade....they too will shoot what the CLIENT requests. However in their free time they get more practice in by shooting what they feel like shooting. Be it a dog peeing on a tree or a child smelling a flower or whatever strikes their fancy. Then there are those who shoot just because they like to. Those people will shoot strickly whatever their heart desires.

So sometimes it is simply what the photographer likes but the rest of the time its all BUSINESS.

Wow!   *applaud*

Sep 17 06 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

"stick figures or curves"?

"coke or pepsi"?
"Christianity or Islam"?
"chockolate or vanilla"?
"coffee or tea"?

Sep 17 06 06:16 am Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Thank You Digital.
** takes bow for the applause **

Sep 17 06 07:17 pm Link

Model

Nekosi

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I dont think it has anything to do with weight. I'm not skinny or waif. Photographers like that I'm all natural, no tattoos, body piercings and one photographer even said he was glad I had a little belly. So when they're looking for women with curves, sure they'll hire you, but it's a package - how well they vibe with you, your professionalism, and maybe any body mods you may have. That's what I think it's all about.

Sep 17 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

Trinityx

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I agree that its YOU that makes the shoot.  If you have a bit if a butt or hips, AMEN becasue the waifs dont.  We actually Fill out the Clothes and make them look yummy.

Sep 17 06 08:21 pm Link

Model

ak68

Bossier City, Louisiana, US

Long time ago I hated my body and my curves, but I'm over that already.  I think that my body is fine the way it is and I don't have 'issues' surrounding myself in this regard.  Most photographers I've worked with wanted the curves and sought me out because of my body type. That doesn't mean a slim model isn't as wonderful but instead of seeing one better than the other I simply just see us as individuals.

I also don't and won't bash people based on their body type.  If someone has a client then they already know the body type that will work and what won't work.  No big deal to me. 

I've never had a photographer say no to shoot me once I show for a shoot but I do have a growing list of photographers I wouldn't consider working with due mainly their written words and attitudes.  Oh yes...attitude does count for so much in my book.

Yay for thin models, short models, tall models, curvy, fat, bbw...whatever.  If it works then use it I say.

ak

Sep 17 06 09:24 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Partial Quote: 

Anjel Britt wrote:
Libra thing.

Oh, yeah - me, too!

Sep 18 06 01:27 pm Link