Forums > General Industry > Question for Model/Photographers

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

How do you balance your time between photography and modeling? Which do you spend more time on and why?

Is it more a matter of what you enjoy more, what you're better at, what pays the bills, or some other factor altogether?

Sep 14 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Wait, does this mean I have to answer with both profiles???

I love both modeling and photography,
but as a model if I ask for 100.00 hour I get called a whore,
as a photographer I ask for 100.00 hour I get called cheep.

I can only model as long as I have my looks & look young, and for a woman who is kissing 30 I know I'm not in this game for more than a few more years.
As for photography I can shoot as long as I want to no one cares what I look like.

I am pretty even in my time these days I'm setting up just as many paid photoshoots as paid modeling shoots this month.

I have also been very lucky to have had some great teachers recently who have not only helped me test as a model, but once the learned I wanted to learn photography have helped me to learn the art and science of photography as well.

I'm also very deteramend to learn, I'm not to shy to walk up to the best photographer I know and ask to spend a day assisting him/her.

My other profile
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=86286

Sep 14 06 08:31 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Thank you, Iona!

Sep 14 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

klkphotography

Newport Beach, California, US

I am a photographer and want to model, just need to find a photographer i'll be comfortable with smile

Sep 14 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Photography Bug

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've been modeling for years for fun and hobby, have done some professional assignments here and there.  I used to practice photography when younger, and now getting back to studying and practicing the craft again...this time even more seriously...but still as a hobby.  I spend more time with college studies and working.  And when I can, I'll try to squeeze modeling and photography in where I see the time and the energy.  :-)

Sep 14 06 11:24 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Bumpity bump. Just for Webspinner.

Sep 15 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Answering because I'm bored.

First off, I've been on MM non-stop for the past 11 hours.

Neither modeling nor photography takes up anytime for me.

I started off wanting to be a model, but no agencies would sign me, because I was too old (21), though they all "ohhhhh'd" over me until I told them my age\height. So photography was something I could progress in, where as, modeling, either you're it, or you're not.

Then random people wanted to shoot me. So I complied, since I know how hard it is to find models.....

To date, I've made not a penny as a photographer or model.

Though as a model.
I've been in a magazine, done runway stuff, done a few TFPs, and actually paid pro\agency level photograpers for portfolio stuff

As a photographer
Shot agency models for portfolio stuff & comp cards

I imagine that in the future, I'll seriously progress as a photographer. And maybe take a few more baby steps as a model.

Or I may become more addicted to Model Mayhem, and not leave the house for days at a time....lol

Sep 15 06 01:46 am Link

Model

diem

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

i dont find myself artistic so i would probably make a horrible photographer....and even while im out with my friends i always prefer to be the one that is NOT taking pictures.

i consider modeling a hobby. unless i get paid more the=an my day job i will always consider modeling a hobby. its something fun to do but i dont see myself looking for rent money in my penny jar just to afford rent. i would rather live comfortably and play around with modeling. i set up shoots whenever i have time and whenever im really urging to shoot.

Sep 15 06 03:24 am Link

Model

soma_stardust

Emeryville, California, US

i'm a photographer primarily because i love it and it's how i express myself. i want this to be my job.
i started modelling because i realised i *could.* and even though i'm 28 i don't want to stop anytime soon.
so photography is what i spend the most time on, and i basically do shoots (as a model or a photographer)whenever someone wants me, lol. i'm a workaholic. i'll do whatever, whenever. especially for art or money.

Sep 15 06 03:42 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Just to toss in a thought as a photographer. I think models generally make good photographers. They already understand the dynamics on both sides of the camera. That helps a lot.

Sep 15 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

I do Wedding Photography Professionally, and that's where I make my money in the photography field. Models....usually TFP and sometimes paid if I'm searching for a particular shoot. Boy I'm glad Brides don't ask me to pay them to do their weddings...I'd be broke!  wink

Sep 15 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Bump - I want answers too.  I believe Cinnamon was referring people who act as both models & photgraphers... ya know, the old switcharoo

Sep 15 06 05:25 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Photography gets 98% of my time and effort, since it's where I plan to make a career.

Modeling I just do to change the world.  wink  I don't model often anymore, just every once in awhile when the opportunity to do something great comes along.

Sep 15 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Shyly wrote:
Photography gets 98% of my time and effort, since it's where I plan to make a career.

Modeling I just do to change the world.  wink  I don't model often anymore, just every once in awhile when the opportunity to do something great comes along.

Do me!

Oh wait, you're married....

*frown*

Where's Bob?

*wanders off*

Sep 15 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

bumpalump

Sep 19 06 07:59 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

totally how i feel about modeling.  it took a few years to realize it though!  lol!
i live very well, but if i had to live on commercial gigs, i would have to lower my lifestyle, for sure...

diem wrote:
i consider modeling a hobby. unless i get paid more the=an my day job i will always consider modeling a hobby. its something fun to do but i dont see myself looking for rent money in my penny jar just to afford rent. i would rather live comfortably and play around with modeling. i set up shoots whenever i have time and whenever im really urging to shoot.

Sep 19 06 08:17 pm Link