Forums > General Industry > head shots

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Dear Models.

I am one of those professional photographers who does hunt for new talent on Model Mayhem.  Though I love sexy shots has much as the next guy I need to see a good head shot.  So  often all I can tell from MM portfolio's is "tits, ass, and legs".  Please post a least one close up of your face. 

Also, you will get booked for the style of images you post.  If all you post are real sex goddess type shots, that is what we photographer will think of you as.  If you want a varity of work, if you are looking for real paid commercial jobs, get some of those images up on your portfolios.

Look at most magazines and web sites.  Places where real companies spend real money on photography.  How many half naked people do you see there?

Yes, there is some  work in high fashion and yes there are a couple of "victoria secret" jobs out there but I would guess that  the vast majority of photo gigs are a lot more mainstream and personality driven.  Put your personality into your tests as well as your body.  Also, please, watch out for what we call "one trick ponys".  What I mean by that is, "one expression" on all your pictures.  Show a varity of emontions not just come hether. Life is complex and our emontional life is very multi layed. 

Just my 2 cents worth.  Good luck to you all and keep dreaming.

Sincerely

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

Sep 14 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

Hi Zave,

Great Post. Solid information.

BWT - Good to see you here on MM.

-steve

Sep 14 06 06:01 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

excellent post and well said....its about time someone said that

Sep 14 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Very true.

But it will get lost because no one wants to know the way things really should work....

Sep 15 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Could not agree more with Zave!
"One-expression wonders" are way too common.  Just reciting the vowels:  A, E, I, O, U, gives five different expressions very quickly.  Few models know that basic trick.

For headshots, I had an extensive thread on it a few weeks ago:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=68298

Sep 15 06 12:01 pm Link