Forums > General Industry > Deleting "Friends"

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Francisco, California, US

So a couple weeks ago, I went through and deleted certain images from my portfolio, then I made a round through my "friends" list and deleted a bunch of them too!

Don't get me wrong, i'm not judging people i've never met. But if there's no benefit in being connected, then why add each other?

After cleaning up my friends list, it was much easier to find people that i was looking for and my site was suddenly more "visually interesting". The remaining friends on my list are all artist that I admire for one reason or another and it represents who i'd like to work.

Moral of the story... delete friends who arent your friends!

Sep 13 06 12:18 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

huh...

Sep 13 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

...Stacy wrote:
huh...

It makes perfect sense.  Having a huge freinds list doesn't really help.  I do have a huge favorites list, so why duplicate it?  I periodically go through a delete my friends list of those that I do not think I will get to work with.

Besides, after a few invites, they get stuffed on the back page of the friends list anyway.  Unless I can organize them, the friends list is usless when you favorites does the same thing but better since you do not need to be approved.

Sep 13 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

I usually do a "house cleaning" on friends list as well. One's that we both started out emailing one another for shoots, and never happened, and after months and months of no contact with them, I just delete them. I keep the ones I've worked with, and some are on there, just because i like their work. I start with ones I want to work with...then I weed them out if no communication happens.

Sep 13 06 12:26 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

they why accept them in the first place?

Sep 13 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

...Stacy wrote:

Simply there was a chance to work with them, but like the other poster said, things happen and you move on.  After awhile, the extra listings makes it redundent to have a friends list and a favorite list.

In the end, there really is no need for a friends list when you have a favorites list.  The friend's list is just public but I see no value in it other than a quick version of what I already have.

Sep 13 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

...Stacy wrote:

I accept initially because there was a potential shoot in the makings....but then after emails back and forth, and getting nowhere....then I do the "friends list" clean up...and delete the ones that were suppose to be  inline for a shoot. Thats why.

Sep 13 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I really enjoy looking at the pictures on this site. I like when I find somone who's style I really like and then they have a bunch of similar styled/interest friends that I can click on off their page.

Sep 13 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

i thought this thread was finally going to tell us how to delete all of the unwanted freind requests at one time.....

Sep 13 06 07:15 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

After returning to modeling, I decided to remove users that I haven't met in person or worked with from my friends' list.

Staying in touch with people on my friends' list, I leave a note on their latest work. I can be either a cheerleader or a worst critic.

If I truly appreciate someone's work, I would add her/him to my favorites.

If I contact someone that I would kill to work with; I would be willing to travel to her/his home state for just a shoot. Probably, I would come for croissants too. LOL.

big_smile

Sep 13 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

OK all of you are no longer my friends

Sep 13 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

MalameelPhotography wrote:

Simply there was a chance to work with them, but like the other poster said, things happen and you move on.  After awhile, the extra listings makes it redundent to have a friends list and a favorite list.

In the end, there really is no need for a friends list when you have a favorites list.  The friend's list is just public but I see no value in it other than a quick version of what I already have.

Both of your answers are well stated.

Adding can be sometimes quick but eventually some house cleaning is needed.

Sep 13 06 07:32 pm Link